Jackie..pretty senior.

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited April 8, 2008 in People
Jackie is a friend of my nephews. A very pretty young lady, she is 18 and a senior in high school.
We had a fun shoot in the park this last weekend.

258451091_8Qmaz-O.jpg

258451104_VMqw9-O.jpg

258451108_g355N-O.jpg

258451137_HswVS-O.jpg

258451169_5Cnh6-O.jpg

Comments

• RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Very pretty young lady. Consider yourself lucky to have such a photogenic subject that makes it so much easier to get great shots. wings.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    These are great. You didn't ask for comments but I hope you don't mind. The one nail that is showing in the first two photos looks like it has chipped polish. Other than that, I like all of them. Number 3 is my favorite.
    Jaye
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Very nice. My favorite is #4. Were you using a reflector?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    jayegirl wrote:
    These are great. You didn't ask for comments but I hope you don't mind. The one nail that is showing in the first two photos looks like it has chipped polish. Other than that, I like all of them. Number 3 is my favorite.

I agree on the nail polish.

Nice set of photos, I am sure she will be pleased!clap.gif
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    very pretty, nice comp although a bit awkward, excellent exposure. does she have teeth?....would have made them POP if we could see her pearlies!
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    I shot a girl last night who held her mouth the same exact way. Reason? her teeth were not perfect and she was self conscious about it. I'd bet a buck this lovely lady has the same issue. Tis hard to get good portraits like this if they refuse to smile, but I like these shots anyway. Great lighting.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • BeamCatcherBeamCatcher Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Hola mate!
    She is a keeper! :-)

I honestly did not even think about the nails and teeth until others mentioned it! That said... I also do believe they are right. My better half, who I think is the pretties in the world I might add... ;-) doesn't have 110% even teeth at the bottom, but at the same time a BLINDING smile (not that I am biased.... yeah right!!) and truthfully... even if I have to fight tooth (no pun intended) and nail.. to get a SMALL smile showing some teeth... it REALLY DOES make a difference! :-)

Number 4 is coolest, and has most potential in my eyes!

Cheers mate!

Ivar :-)
    Canon 7D
    Canon 16-35mm f2.8 II
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
    Canon Speedlite 550EX

http://www.beamcatcher.com/layout/Pictures.html
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Beautiful subject and beautiful shots. I love the lighting. Teeth are nice, but she has a lovely smile in her eyes.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Thanks to all who took a look and took the time to comment.
    Actually Jackie has perfect teeth..she was pretty nervous the entire shoot.
    She has a crush on my nephew and having him there watching her pose made her quite nervous...it was kind of funny to watch.
    There are plenty of pictures of her smiling from the shoot. My own preference is the non smiling photos.
    edited February 25, 2008
    Hi again!
    Nothing better when I am proven "wrong"! :-)

I really would have liked to see some of the smiling shots as well. -I know it's a matter of taste... but I am only trying to learn... and to me (In My Humble Opinion) her posture is looking constrained. But hey... the taste is like we all know... VERY different! I still think you have a FAB set of hots mate!

Cheers from Dublin / Ireland

Ivar
    Canon 7D
    Canon 16-35mm f2.8 II
    Canon Speedlite 550EX

• SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    I think these are really nice and she is a beautiful girl. Nice to have great looking subjects pose for you. Would you mind sharing some information about the shoot. The lighting looks very warm so I am wondering if a reflector (gold side) was used, lens, etc. Would appreciate it as I am always interested in seeing how others shoot and achieve great results.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited February 25, 2008
    Ok upon request ...here are a couple with her smiling.
    Thanks for taking a look.

258880713_k7qqk-L.jpg

258673306_zvkZv-L.jpg

258673303_ZiSib-L.jpg

258673292_pJ8Np-L.jpg
    edited February 25, 2008
    SitterS wrote:
    I think these are really nice and she is a beautiful girl. Nice to have great looking subjects pose for you. Would you mind sharing some information about the shoot. The lighting looks very warm so I am wondering if a reflector (gold side) was used, lens, etc. Would appreciate it as I am always interested in seeing how others shoot and achieve great results.

Shane

Hi Shane,
    Late afternoon light, a couple were with a gold reflector.
    Most with a sb800 and a small softbox for lighting.
    Lens was 70-200 f2.8 ..all shot at f4.
  • HaryHary Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Grea series. I have a question ? Did you PP the eyes so that they appear brighter ? When I do eyes I lightn them (example below) or are the lights you used (I use single SB-800) enough?
    before
    258380372_yVCCq-L.jpg

after

248661003_32y2U-L.jpg

I had a gold gel on so it seems a bit too yellow.

Thanks!
    edited February 25, 2008
    Hi Hary,
    I used to brighten the eyes and teeth but I don't do that anymore unless their teeth are really bad then I will fix them a bit. I do make sure the eyes have a catchlight from the flash and make them good and sharp.
    I did not brighten her eyes but I did make them good and sharp which brings out the catchlights more.
    A lot of the girls I have been photographing have had their teeth whitened and they are VERY white to start with.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Great work, Zoomer! thumb.gif Makes me miss the days when I worked with models.

Personally, I like closed-mouth shots. They give a feel of calm, pleasant confidence. One of my best shots (from 23 years ago) was of a lovely long-haired lady wearing a mild, closed-mouth, almost imperceptible smile. I still love the shot.

But that's not to say teeth are bad. No way! A nice, exuberant smile shows a lot of personality, and your young lady has plenty of that. :D

Of the second set, my favorites are the second and fourth. In the first of these, her smile looks slightly forced: I'm guessing it was early in the shoot. She looks more relaxed and her smile more genuine in the other three. It looks, to me, like you and Jackie had a good rapport during the shoot.

Great shots all: Sharp, good DOF, lighting and contrast. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • msurdinmsurdin Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 1, 2008
    Did you use a flash for fill? If so, did you manually adjust the flash output?
    ... and if so, was it on-camera flash? Thanks. Great pictures ... trying to learn.
    edited March 3, 2008
    Hi Zoomer!
    Thanks for posting some with smile as well! clap.gif

I do understand what you said with the choice of shots! For the record... she's a keeper to work with! Looking forward to see more mate!

Cheers! Ivar :ivar
    Canon 7D
    Canon 16-35mm f2.8 II
    Canon Speedlite 550EX

• CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    The problem with smiles in portraits are that many peeps have a hard time giving a good natural genuine smile. They usually, as with this young lady, seem a bit forced....and I nix any photos in a session with forced-looking smiles. Most of my subjects are neutral....and that allows me to capture the actual shape of their face and look in their eye, rather than the happiness we hope she has within her. Then you have the problem with peeps who have the wrong type of teeth for closed mouth shots. If their teeth protrude any, then the closed mouth looks forced as well. It's always something lol
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    great pictures. how did you do the lighting? Flash fill? reflector? Tell us your secrets!!
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    They are nice! Great for senior portraits!
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    great pictures. how did you do the lighting? Flash fill? reflector? Tell us your secrets!!

Laughing.gif, you crack me up Josh :giggle
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    thumb.gif Great set of images. I agree with 3 and 4 being best of set. Now the big question is what the heck is your nephew waiting around for???? rolleyes1.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    she has 1000 watt smile..I think those smiling shots come to life more so then the 1st set.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    Very nice and I love the lighting! Makes me want to start working with models.