First "real" macro shots - yes, water on a cd

darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
edited February 25, 2008 in Holy Macro
Ok, well it was actually a DVD+R - but still the same idea.
258020198_GLTCZ-L.jpg

C&C welcomed - it looks a little soft to me, what do you guys think?

My gear for these photos was a 50mm f/1.4 + Extension tubes.

I was also trying to get some of those "dew" refraction shots - hopeing to do it without stacking but was unsuccessful. I will be trying again soon though.
~ Lisa

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Looks good to me - what aperture did you use ?
    Brian V.
  • job3210job3210 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Good shot, but I think it does look a little soft. The colours are nice
    Glenn
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    i think almost anyone starts with a water on cd shot or two :D

looks nice! keep going! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Ok, well it was actually a DVD+R - but still the same idea.

C&C welcomed - it looks a little soft to me, what do you guys think?

My gear for these photos was a 50mm f/1.4 + Extension tubes.

I was also trying to get some of those "dew" refraction shots - hopeing to do it without stacking but was unsuccessful. I will be trying again soon though.

Hi there Darkdragon, looks good to me, lot of dust, but very good capture.
    How many tubes did you use for this?
    Great colours, you did fine clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Yep, good one! thumb.gif The dust got me on my first attempt too. The right edge of the drop looks quite sharp to me. Perhaps the DOF was very fine and a little further back on the drop than you intended?
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Thank you everyone for your comments :D

Dust: yes, this is a problem - there is no escaping dust in my house. currently trying to figure out how to help keep my studio a bit less dusty - that CD was fresh out of the spindle and just the walk from office to studio it got dust rolleyes1.gif I decided not to wipe off the dust because I didn't want to scratch the finish, I figured I would live with the dust this time.

Tubes: I used the full set of 3 tubes that came in the package for this - a 12 mm, 20 mm, and 36 mm, and still had to get about 1" away from the drop. Next time i think I will just make a bigger drop and maybe use a different lens (just gotta figure out how to get it more light as the 50mm is my fastest lens).

Aperture: I used f/20 on this shot. I tried a few shots using between f/16 and f/22.
    ~ Lisa
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Very nice drop. It's hard to get any crisper than that. Dust you will always have. I think it's in pretty near any water you'll use, in addition to floating around in the air. Good call to resist the urge to wipe it off the CD. To tell you the truth, to me the stuff in the upper right looks more like sensor crud than dust. When's the last time you cleaned your sensor??

Oh, the clone stamp and healing brushes are your best friends when doing water drops.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited February 25, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Very nice drop. It's hard to get any crisper than that. Dust you will always have. I think it's in pretty near any water you'll use, in addition to floating around in the air. Good call to resist the urge to wipe it off the CD. To tell you the truth, to me the stuff in the upper right looks more like sensor crud than dust. When's the last time you cleaned your sensor??

Oh, the clone stamp and healing brushes are your best friends when doing water drops.

Thanks.

Yeah, I agree about the dust on the top right - I was worried when I saw it. Normally i don't have sensor dust as I have the autmatic dust shaky deal. I've never manually cleaned it though. I think I'll be taking both bodies into the camera store to have them cleaned this week/end since I need to go there anyways. It's free to have them clean it :)
    ~ Lisa
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    run a humidifier and shut all the doors in the house for awhile before preping the shot....?

get some filtered water?

just some ideas for LV....."but its a dry heat":D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 25, 2008
    run a humidifier and shut all the doors in the house for awhile before preping the shot....?

get some filtered water?

just some ideas for LV....."but its a dry heat":D

The room I have the studio in is kept shut most of the time and is upstairs, so it is definately less dusty then anything downstairs.

I am thinking of running a humidifier and an Ionic Breeze to keep the air clean - that's about $600 in stuff (and $600 less for lenses :cry)
    ~ Lisa
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    The room I have the studio in is kept shut most of the time and is upstairs, so it is definately less dusty then anything downstairs.

I am thinking of running a humidifier and an Ionic Breeze to keep the air clean - that's about $600 in stuff (and $600 less for lenses :cry)

:D k, then pull out the garden hose and spray'er all down first....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 25, 2008
    :D k, then pull out the garden hose and spray'er all down first....

What is this "garden" you speak of? We don't usually have to water the rocks. rolleyes1.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    I don't mean to inject "yuckey" into the thread, but are you aware that in most reasonably clean, furry-pet-free homes, most of the "dust" that inevitably shows up on things is shed human skin cells??? So if you want to keep your shooting area clean, wear long sleeved surgical garb. Or use your clone stamp.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited February 25, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    I don't mean to inject "yuckey" into the thread, but are you aware that in most reasonably clean, furry-pet-free homes, most of the "dust" that inevitably shows up on things is shed human skin cells??? So if you want to keep your shooting area clean, wear long sleeved surgical garb. Or use your clone stamp.

yeah, human bodies are dis-gust-ing. :puke
    ~ Lisa