Small Ant

garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited February 26, 2008 in Holy Macro
Found this very small ant roaming in the bathroom this morning. Scooped him up on a piece of paper and mangaged to get off a couple of shots after grabbing the tubes. The shot is stacked from a couple of pictures. Still got snow outside, so he's pretty early this year, but it was nice to find a subject to shoot. Very hard to bring our the detail with this color. Too bad the antennae was across its eye.
Gary
Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    garyt wrote:
    Found this very small ant roaming in the bathroom this morning. Scooped him up on a piece of paper and mangaged to get off a couple of shots after grabbing the tubes. The shot is stacked from a couple of pictures. Still got snow outside, so he's pretty early this year, but it was nice to find a subject to shoot. Very hard to bring our the detail with this color. Too bad the antennae was across its eye.

Hi Gary, hard to see the detail as you said.
    Maybe he will bring the rest of his family over for a visit when the weather warms up a bit for a picnic :D

How many shots did you stack for this one?
    You can see some detail in the head and eye.

Tell me you didnt squish him after you finished photographing him.

Thanks for sharing Gary thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Gary, hard to see the detail as you said.
    Maybe he will bring the rest of his family over for a visit when the weather warms up a bit for a picnic :D

How many shots did you stack for this one?
    You can see some detail in the head and eye.

Tell me you didnt squish him after you finished photographing him.

Thanks for sharing Gary thumb.gif ... Skippy :D

Skippy--three shots for the stack. Here's one that's not stacked. If you look closely at the stacked shot, you can see where I missed a small section (look at the dots on the paper between the ants two left front legs) and you can see a small area not covered. And no, I didn't squish it. These are very hard to photograph. There is not a lot of detail, they are very dark colored with reflective bodies. But after being cooped up all winter with no bugs (excpet the ladybugs), I had to do it. Shame the antennae is over the eye though.
    Gary
    Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008