If Looks Could Kill.....

CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited February 26, 2008 in People
This is a shot from last night's session with 13 yr old Paige in her living room. She's a great model for my experimentation and will pose for hours on end if I need her to. I'm a big fan of closeups, and this one cried out for some tweaking. Hope ya like it.
I use only Canon cameras and glass
www.portraitwhisperer.com

Comments

• davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Why color the eyes? I generally hate spot color as it takes away from an image. In this cae, I feel iot really trakes away from an otherwise capture of a great expression.

Remember...everyone has opinions...:D
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    They were too dark, and I couldn't get any character out of them even when lightened. My only alternative to salvage the shot was to color them. Perhaps if someone is a pro at photo shop wants to give it a shot, I'll send them the full size shot.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    They were too dark, and I couldn't get any character out of them even when lightened. My only alternative to salvage the shot was to color them. Perhaps if someone is a pro at photo shop wants to give it a shot, I'll send them the full size shot.
    No Pro at PSCS (hardly use it), but did you look at the channels? Pick a lighter one and play a bit using the same mask as the coloring????

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Tell you what. I'd bet the girl really likes the shot. She's gotta be fun to pose. Has a great feel for a dramatic look.
    I think the improvement could be in the hair on photo right (model left) cause I'm just seeing black.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • BeamCatcherBeamCatcher Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Hi there CarnalSigh!
    I quite like her look! Not too mad about the blue eyes... but that IS a matter of taste! Tell you what though... having someone to practice and test out ideas on is VERY valuable and much appreciated! Looking forward to more of her!

Lastly... I really would like to have a go at your original raw if you would let me, and then email back to you for feedback. -Truthfully... working shots for folks is one extra "task" outside work I would like to try and make some kind of "living" of at some stage.

Anyhow... ivarolsen@gmail.com is my address of you are up for it! wings.gif

Cheers mate!

Ivar :-)
    Canon 7D
    Canon 16-35mm f2.8 II
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
    Canon Speedlite 550EX

http://www.beamcatcher.com/layout/Pictures.html
  • TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    I like the shot. I use to be guilty of selective coloring especially eyes. The shot looks good but does draw me to her eyes which isn't a bad thing.
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Thank you for the positive comments. I like the shot, and think the colored eyes makes it more than just another b&w shot.
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    I tend to like the selective coloring, particularly in this shot. If you get bored you may want to try adding in just a hint of color to the entire frame (not a duo tone, the originals). Sometimes the washed out color tends to unify the picture a little more instead of singling out the eyes, while still maintaining them as the focal point. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's crap.

All in all, excellent 'salvage.' :D
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Different eye color?
    Why color the eyes? I generally hate spot color as it takes away from an image. In this cae, I feel iot really trakes away from an otherwise capture of a great expression.

Remember...everyone has opinions...:D

Just out of curiosity did you try any other colors? I was thinking maybe of a shade of red???
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    I think the color in the eyes is nice, but the extreme darkness of the pupils I think is what is getting me. What is you lighten them up a bit to compliment your eye color choice?ne_nau.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11