Options

Saturn

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited February 28, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Good Evening Folks,
I shot this earlier tonight with my old Bigma ( I recently sold this lens to a friend so I have access to it whenever :wink ) Anyway, this was the best shot out of approximately 10. No pp, just cropped. I believe it was 500mm at F10, .6 sec exposure. Thanks for looking :thumb
Have a good evening :D
Jim...

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Wow, that's impressive! Great work! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Wow, that's impressive! Great work! thumb.gif

Thank you. I just shot a few more, but haven't looked at them yet. Time to get the lens to bed for the night :cry
    Jim...
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    You shot this with the lens and a telescope to....right?
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Evening Folks,
    I shot this earlier tonight with my old Bigma ( I recently sold this lens to a friend so I have access to it whenever mwink.gif ) Anyway, this was the best shot out of approximately 10. No pp, just cropped. I believe it was 500mm at F10, .6 sec exposure. Thanks for looking thumb.gif
    Jim...

That's pretty cool Jim, we can even see the rings clap.gif
    Well done ! least we can actually see what it is ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    You shot this with the lens and a telescope to....right?

Good Morning,
    No. Just Da Bigma at 500mm. I will be more then happy to e-mail you the original, straight from the camera, picture :D
    I have used that lens more since I sold it to my friend, then probably when I had the lens for about a year rolleyes1.gif
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    That's pretty cool Jim, we can even see the rings clap.gif
    Well done ! least we can actually see what it is ... Skippy :D

Morning Skippy,
    That was the best shot out of 20 total, including the ones I shot after I posted that picture. I shot Saturn once b4 last year, but it was not even close to any of the pictures I shot last evening. Could have been unfavorable atmospheric conditions at that time :cry
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Morning,
    No. Just Da Bigma at 500mm. I will be more then happy to e-mail you the original, straight from the camera, picture :D
    I have used that lens more since I sold it to my friend, then probably when I had the lens for about a year rolleyes1.gif
    Jim...

Jim....I'm not questioning you on the photo. Please forgive me if you thought I was. I just didn't know a lens could do that so I thought I would ask if you used a telescope with your camera. It is an amazing photo thumb.gif

I've been thinking about getting the 100-400, but maybe I will need to look alittle closer at the Bigma 500.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Jim....I'm not questioning you on the photo. Please forgive me if you thought I was. I just didn't know a lens could do that so I thought I would ask if you used a telescope with your camera. It is an amazing photo thumb.gif

I've been thinking about getting the 100-400, but maybe I will need to look alittle closer at the Bigma 500.

Good Morning,
    No apology necessary :D I was quite amazed myself after looking at some of the pictures. The first 4 or 5 pictures resembled an oblong shaped object, so I kinda thought it was Saturn. The last 2 pics showed in fact it was Saturn. I wonder if I had live preview if I could have obtained any sharper pics, or may be that was about as good as it gets with those optics ?
    As for the 100-400mm, an extra 100mm on the long end + an extra 50mm on the wide end doesn't hurt. That's why I choose Da Bigma in the first place. It's much more useful with that range, just heavy (4.1 lbs) after a while.
    Jim...
  • Options
    HyperSniperHyperSniper Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Pretty cool, I just wish it was a bit sharper.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    Pretty cool, I just wish it was a bit sharper.
    Good Morning,
    Yeah. This might give me a reason to upgrade to the Xsi or maybe even the 40D so I can use the live view thumb.gif This shot actually came out better then my moon eclipse shot from last week rolleyes1.gif Go figure.
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Morning,
    No apology necessary :D I was quite amazed myself after looking at some of the pictures. The first 4 or 5 pictures resembled an oblong shaped object, so I kinda thought it was Saturn. The last 2 pics showed in fact it was Saturn. I wonder if I had live preview if I could have obtained any sharper pics, or may be that was about as good as it gets with those optics ?
    As for the 100-400mm, an extra 100mm on the long end + an extra 50mm on the wide end doesn't hurt. That's why I choose Da Bigma in the first place. It's much more useful with that range, just heavy (4.1 lbs) after a while.
    Jim...

4.1 lbs.....that isn't light weight :D But worth it to be able to get a photo like that. Job well done thumb.gif

Live Preview....it interests me in its ability, but haven't seen it in use yet.
  • Options
    ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    I was unaware you could see Saturn, with rings, through the asteroid belt from that distance. Let alone without a Tscope
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    ccpickre wrote:
    I was unaware you could see Saturn, with rings, through the asteroid belt from that distance. Let alone without a Tscope
    Good Evening,
    If you give me your e-mail, I will be more then happy to send you the original, straight from the camera, picture, complete with the EXIF data thumb.gif
    Jim...