Easter shoot with new camera

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited February 26, 2008 in People
I finally got my D40x and was able to set up a mini shoot with my daughter. I'm really pleased with the difference from the Kodak and the Nikon. I'm very pleased with my choice. I admire the talent on this forum and would appreciate any helpful tips or suggestions that can be given.
258628846_DKxWz-L.jpg

258629042_JXrQv-L.jpg

258629313_me46B-L.jpg

258659470_XanUC-L.jpg

258629350_7QocA-L.jpg

258659687_NA7HS-L.jpg

Comments

• PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Congrats on the new camera.
    1) Nice shot. Maybe just crop it tighter, but that's just my taste.
    2) Another nice photo, but the shadow along her side bothers me a little. You also might want to PS the sheet.
    3) eggggscellent
    4) Another nice one. Again PS the sheet if you want.
    5) nice, but i'd want a lower crop to get more of her body. I don't like where the photo cuts her hand.
    6) The sheet covering her feet is a little bothersome.

Overall I think this is a cute set. Some of these look a little flat. If you can get an off camera flash, you'll add more depth to your photos. If not you can bounce on camera flashes off a reflector. Play with lighting. Also, one technique I use with shooting kids is to tell them jokes or ask them to tell me what their favorite _____(toy, candy, or whatever) is. Once a kid is talking to me they look a lot more natual and you can shoot away. I find you get some nice smiles and funny faces. Hope this all helps.
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Paulcao wrote:
    Also, one technique I use with shooting kids is to tell them jokes or ask them to tell me what their favorite _____(toy, candy, or whatever) is. Once a kid is talking to me they look a lot more natual and you can shoot away. I find you get some nice smiles and funny faces. Hope this all helps.

I have found a wonderful method for getting rid of that "CHEEEESE' smile/face that little kids tend to make. I put up with that cheesy smile for 2-3 shots, just for them to warm up to me a bit. Then, I give them THREE small candies to put in their pocket, I make sure they know how many I gave them. They are told they have to stay there until we're done. Instead of telling them to "smile" or "say cheese" I get my shot ready, then I ask them how many candies are in their pocket. Kids get so excited, they'll get a big natural grin and say "THREE" usually works like a charm.
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:
    I have found a wonderful method for getting rid of that "CHEEEESE' smile/face that little kids tend to make. I put up with that cheesy smile for 2-3 shots, just for them to warm up to me a bit. Then, I give them THREE small candies to put in their pocket, I make sure they know how many I gave them. They are told they have to stay there until we're done. Instead of telling them to "smile" or "say cheese" I get my shot ready, then I ask them how many candies are in their pocket. Kids get so excited, they'll get a big natural grin and say "THREE" usually works like a charm.

What a creative great idea! I will be using that....
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    What a creative great idea! I will be using that....

15524779-Ti.gif
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. I'm going to try them tomorrow, I hope. She has a cute little easter dress and if she is in the mood, you'll be seeing more :giggle