HS Lax Scrimmage out west

ASkipASkip Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited February 26, 2008 in Sports
Hi. My pictures aren't that great, but I thought we needed more Lax pictures. hehe. The high school team had a varsity scrimmage on this nice warm sunny day (Saturday) where the coaches were playing along with the kids. Probably the first and last time they get to beat on each other with sticks... The coaches started it... (coach in yellow shorts)
258239557_HhJDK-M.jpg

kids pushed back:
258298321_XpfAY-M.jpg

258310791_cAjdj-M.jpg
much fun was had by all.
Though I think I won't use my 1.4 teleconverter with my 70-200 lens any more. Some of the pictures had some weird glowing effects in the white parts (or maybe it needs cleaning or something).
ok everyone else send more lax pix! OT's were an awesome start.
A skip.

Comments

• dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    don't seel yourself short...these are awesome:ivar
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    as mentioned these are pretty good. My suggestion would be to shoot vertical more though - there's a lot of dead space in the first two shots. Most field sports at shorter (<400mm) focal lengths are generally framed better vertically. Some shots work great in landscape but generally those are very tight crops of torso and up. There are exceptions, but about 90% of shots there is more vertical subject than horizontal.
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    I like these a lot as well--especially the last one. My only comment would be to straighten the photos a little. You've got a couple of degree tilt.
    Regards

Will
    wmstumme wrote:
    I like these a lot as well--especially the last one. My only comment would be to straighten the photos a little. You've got a couple of degree tilt.

ooh. Usually I fix that, the stands giving me a good horizon to work with. I took like 600 pictures of that scrimmage, guess I got sloppy.

and on the horizontal/vertical thing. Maybe it's not a good idea, but I crop all my pictures to be 4x6, because I think they look more neat and orderly on the site. so sometimes the vertical version isn't wide enough to get all of the stick or a knee falls out or something. Maybe that's a lame excuse. and basically, I'm scared to shoot vertical because I think I'll miss something. (except in basketball, where it's all vertical).

thanks for the kind words everyone. Guess I'll go take more pictures now.
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    johng wrote:
    as mentioned these are pretty good. My suggestion would be to shoot vertical more though - there's a lot of dead space in the first two shots. Most field sports at shorter (<400mm) focal lengths are generally framed better vertically. Some shots work great in landscape but generally those are very tight crops of torso and up. There are exceptions, but about 90% of shots there is more vertical subject than horizontal.
    Ya know, so far every shot that I have done in portrait, I've ended up cropping back to landscape. Those sticks are long, and I don't generally like cutting off (stick)heads where the action is. Maybe just my experience so far, and certainly for other sports like hoop (especially), vertical is the way to go.