LPS Final Feedback Thread

2»

Comments

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    wacer - I loved your critiques - great job putting it out there.

tessa
    thumb.gif
    edited February 27, 2008
    My feedback....
    1. Vandana - The Lone Ranger - When I first saw this quickly, I was floored by the color and the composition. But when I really looked at it, I was a bit bummed to realize that it was PSed together. Although, after talking to a few others, I realized that what was obvious to me wasn't obvious to most - or if it was, they didn't have a problem with it. I find the color to be stunning, the composition to be wonderful.
    2. Tessa HD - Stage door - I think what others said about my photo applies for me with yours. Laughing.gif! I felt it needed something - why was he sitting there? He almost felt like he was just put in there because more was needed. I think if he had felt more pensive or dejected or looked like he felt more, it would have worked better. But he almost looked bored to me. The scene itself is gorgeous. I love the toning, the angles, the feel of the photo. But I needed a little more.
    3. Photogmomma - enough... - this photo was STUNNING. Amazing! Wonderful! And she looks kinda cute. Oh, wait. It's me.
    4. Shatch - Tracks - I loved the idea of this photo, it was clever, the model was perfect, the composition and feel of it were great. But I felt that it was too photoshopped. If something is photoshopped, I either want it to be obviously so or completely invisible and this was somewhere inbetween.
    5. Pemmett - Bellowing the Blues - Frankly, I just loved this photo. I actually picked a different photo when you were asking for feedback - something that showed more - but I know how incredibly hard it is to capture someone like this in a concert and you did an amazing job. I love the toning and the emotion. I do wish it wasn't cropped quite so closely, but that's my only major nit. (I didn't mind the softness like others.) This is the photo I voted for.
    6. Urbanaries - Shadow of a Doubt - I loved the film noir feel of this photo, the barest hint of her eyes (enough to let you know she was worried? excited? about the guy behind her), the ambiguity of the photo (is she bad? good?) drew me right in. My only nit was the skyscraper - I liked feeling like I didn't know when this was done - until I saw that. This came very close to getting my vote!
    7. cmurph - Rocket Man - Once I found out this was a single photo, I was really amazed by it. How you got that kite up there and his footsteps so nicely done is beyond me! I dont know why I wasn't captured by this as much. I think sometimes photos really resonate and sometimes they don't - and you don't always have a good reason. That's how this one was. But I also see how people can love it!
    8. Awais Yaqub - What's next on us? - I think one of the other critiques nailed this. It's a gorgeous photo, well lit, superbly done - but I've seen so many like it that it didn't hit me as hard as it would have if it were completely original.
    9. LiquidAir - School Outing - I have to say, at first I was thinking "oh, jeez, something else photoshopped. Bleh." But then I got over that and just really cracked up. The creativity, PSing skill - it all added up to a really fun, interesting photo to me in the long run.
    10. seastack - Twilight Flow - Stunning colors, gorgeous composition, would look gorgeous on the wall.... But didn't say enough to me. Your PJ photos on the ferry just amazed me and I was hoping to see something like that here. This photo is incredibly well done, but doesn't move me like others did.
    Overall, these were all awesome photos! Congrats to ALL of us for making it to the top 10!!
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    My feedback....
    1. Shatch - Tracks - I loved the idea of this photo, it was clever, the model was perfect, the composition and feel of it were great. But I felt that it was too photoshopped. If something is photoshopped, I either want it to be obviously so or completely invisible and this was somewhere inbetween.

Thanks for the feedback photogmomma! I see a recurring theme on the feedback for me. This is good. Thanks!
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    17 sherstone-King of the Castle. A beautiful location and the inclusion of the lone bird adds a sense of scale (though I expected those rocks to be bigger!) and mystery. I can only imagine what this place looks like during a warmer sunset. As-is the colors feel muted and monotone. I wish the exposure was longer still to give more movement to the water. Just made my top 10.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to voice your thoughts and feelings on all of the entries! Love the feedback!
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    ok, my turn,
    I want to say, for 27 people to take two weeks and try to present an impressive photo - it is its own category that I don't think can necessarily be compared to the rest of someone's portfolio. The best photos in a person's career generally can't be forced to happen within a 2 week period. And Standing O's to everyone for coming through with incredible images under so much stress. (well, stressful for me anyways!)

Revenge - Beautiful models, a great concept, fun, and grabs attention. nit - the lighting and b/g were a distraction to me.

Solace in a Cup - love the details like the coffee stains on the cup, dandruff, his clothing, gloves, and hair, all spoke of his story. nit - maybe a tighter crop on the left?

Classic - beautiful model, catch lights, wind blown hair, white shirt and b/g. it grabbed my attention, just didn't keep me lingering.

Behind the Blue Door - this really grabbed me, and I thought it was like a painting. Wonderful colors, interesting things to look at. I liked the negative space that the door provided. as much as I enjoyed looking at all the things hanging, I began to feel that there were too many and put it out of balance.

Lone Ranger - Very much grabbed my attention and kept me looking. You have a knack for sillouettes and this topped them all. The two things that distracted me was the sky in the upper right seemed distorted and the reflection of the lone ranger ran out of the frame.

Stage Door - i'm so tired of looking at this one! I agree with all your comments - the guy wasn't a perfect fit, but it lacked even more without him. I thought matching his clothes and position to the scenery would help. I wanted so badly to have him not be noticed too much because I loved the scene, thus his softer look. But you're all correct and thank you for your critique.

Enough - I like the high key b/g, yet still being able to see pretty details such as your collarbone. I even liked the position of your feet - it was a nice angle for your toes! Too, the picture on the wall added to the flow. I identified with the emotion.

Tracks - Brilliant concept. Stunning photoshop work. Great model, clothes, cool hair, it really involves the viewer. Definitely had wow factor.

Bellowing the Blues - b/w worked great, nice exposure, like the angle. Concert shots are hard to get. I can't help but want to see a little more of the right side.

The Session Player - I thought your lighting perfectly simulated a live stage performance. Fun image! Handsome model!

Shadow of a Doubt - Your city scape was composed perfectly, your title played perfectly with your story, as too your characters. It reminded me of a comic book (in a good way of course). Some people wanted you to further process, but my tastes would have preferred less.

Rocket Man - Very creative. Wonderful light. The sky cooperated well for you.

Stepping Through Time - Wow, what a concept. The process of your execution of this was unbelievable. I love the ripple effect. (I'd like to see a tutorial) Your model is beautiful and her expression is perfect. Something compositionally didn't flow easily for me, not sure what.

What's Next On Us? - Loved how your portrait filled the frame, included his hands, and told a story through his aged and worn features. You went with what you do good and I think that served you well.

[EMAIL="Posc@rt"]Posc@rt[/EMAIL] - Nice depth of field. Your title played well with your focus which I assume was a reference to email versus a play on snailmail.

King of the Castle - Magnificent. Beautiful rock formations in which you were there at the right time to get perfect reflections. My eyes moved easily through to the sunset/rise. Great sky to complement the foreground. My favorite image.

School Outing - bright, colorful, whimsical, creative - great image! Fog bank and clear blue sky worked well for you! Something compositionally distracted me, maybe if the horizon was lower to give more sky to the fish? I don't know, but I did love your image.

I Should Have Bought Her Chocolates - I thought it was a cool subject, and the black and white was a perfect fit!

THAT will leave a mark - black & white, spit flying, the angle, all worked nicely. However, I thought the sharp glove dominated too much and detracted from your model.

In the Gorge - I anticipated a beautiful landscape from you and you provided! What an interesting subject - that practically floating walkway certainly kept me looking and evoked emotion in me! For such a realistic scene, some of the colors didn't seem real.

rddphotos - You certainly picked the right time of day for some sweet light and an incredible sight. You composed it well and it's easy to put myself in it. A little nit - I thought certain areas could use less saturation, like the grass in the lower right.

Once Upon a Forest - you've got a knack for finding beautiful light in forests! This forest could have stood on its own in my opinion.

Twilight Flow - Your seascapes are so serene and evoke a peaceful other-worldly feeling. When you posted your potential entries I also loved the one with the sun in it.

Teething - Nice lighting, bright, colorful, and amusing!

The Canal - you should market this to the owners! Beautiful angle provided lots of depth and interest.

Sharing Space - Intriguingly pretty subject and interesting light!

Take my comments with a grain of salt, they're only personal opinions. This was truly an awesome experience, I've enjoyed learning from all of you, and look forward to more of it!

Sincerely,
    Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Tessa HUD wrote:
    I want to say, for 27 people to take two weeks and try to present an impressive photo - it is its own category that I don't think can necessarily be compared to the rest of someone's portfolio. The best photos in a person's career generally can't be forced to happen within a 2 week period. And Standing O's to everyone for coming through with incredible images under so much stress. (well, stressful for me anyways!)

Once Upon a Forest - you've got a knack for finding beautiful light in forests! This forest could have stood on its own in my opinion.

bowdown.gif Thank you Tessa, you made my day. I realize that it wasn't my best but you gave me something to cling to.
    Nothing I planned turned out that two week period.

Peace, gail
    edited February 27, 2008
    Enough - I like the high key b/g, yet still being able to see pretty details such as your collarbone. I even liked the position of your feet - it was a nice angle for your toes! Too, the picture on the wall added to the flow. I identified with the emotion.

Tessa, thank you so much for the feedback! i really appreciate it! And kudos to you for doing ALL the photos... I hope to find the time to do the rest.

Thanks again! iloveyou.gif
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    You're welcome! I have a deeper appreciation for what Shay did. That took a long time!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:

King of the Castle - Magnificent. Beautiful rock formations in which you were there at the right time to get perfect reflections. My eyes moved easily through to the sunset/rise. Great sky to complement the foreground. My favorite image.

Sincerely,
    Tessa

Too bad there wasn't 60 others just like you mwink.gif

Thanks for taking the time to let all of us know your thoughts!thumb.gif

Sean
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:

Tracks - Brilliant concept. Stunning photoshop work. Great model, clothes, cool hair, it really involves the viewer. Definitely had wow factor.

Thanks Tessa for the feedback!
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 27, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    The best photos in a person's career generally can't be forced to happen within a 2 week period. And Standing O's to everyone for coming through with incredible images under so much stress. (well, stressful for me anyways!)
    This just caught my eye... I think I disagree. For the most part, I think the most visually captivating photographs aren't "planned", perhaps the trip to the location, or the timing is planned, but the actual shot? I tend to think not.

Secondly, this isn't your job, why are you stressed? No really, if this is giving anyone serious stress in their life, I suggest you turn off your computer and go for a walk (bring your camera, you never know :D).

Oh, and, good onya for taking time out to really look at all the shots and critique them. thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    5. Pemmet- Bellowing the Blues
    Nice conversion- nice portrait - the soft focus of the shirt and the face hurts it a little bit. Very nice though.

Aaron, thanks for taking time to feedback. Hopefully LPSII will enable me to take my photography to the next level :-)
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
    edited February 27, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    10 pemmett-Bellowing the Blues. Very nice capture with good emotion ringing through. I wish you were able to put some more of the hand in the frame though I know how tough these shots are to get. I also can’t help but feel that the black and white conversion could be punched (for lack of a better word) a bit more.

Thanks for the feedback. It seems a familiar theme about the hand. I was too focused on the face :-) Cheers.
    edited February 27, 2008
    kwalsh wrote:
    pemmett - Bellowing the Blues - A lot of people liked this one. I didn't. I couldn't figure out why. Eventually I realized it had nothing at all to do with the photo, it had to do with my personal tastes in music. I have very myopic musical tastes and whenever I see performers screaming into microphones wearing trendy clothes my connection is not to the music but to record exec's shoving bad music down peoples throats. This is of course totally unfair to most performers, but it is just my emotional reaction and I think it completely dominated my response to the image. So, I think it is really a nice photo but the subject matter utterly failed to connect with me for reasons no photographer could predict!

Ken, Thanks for the feedback. The singer in the shot was actually a school teacher :-) The children and teachers did a music concert to raise money for charity and you know what teachers are like after school! Especially music teachers with an array of weird hats ;-) They did a great show and this guy really enjoyed going OTT in front of the kids.

I realize that I cannot please everyone, and this round was all about everyone :-) so I chose to please myself - and the teacher in the shot, of course. Thanks again for the great feedback.
    edited February 27, 2008
    Wacrer wrote:
    5. Pemmet- Bellowing the Blues
    This image does not do anything for me, I want to see more of the hand, more of his eye, more more more!!! *pout* This man is sharing his soul it seems and you went and put him in that tiny little box! ;) Great DOF though!

Scott, Thanks for the feedback. This image seems to either please or repel. I'll try something less contentious next time :-) Cheers.
    edited February 28, 2008
    Pemmett - Bellowing the Blues - Frankly, I just loved this photo. I actually picked a different photo when you were asking for feedback - something that showed more - but I know how incredibly hard it is to capture someone like this in a concert and you did an amazing job. I love the toning and the emotion. I do wish it wasn't cropped quite so closely, but that's my only major nit. (I didn't mind the softness like others.) This is the photo I voted for.

Andi, Thank you iloveyou.gif I have now taken you feedback, enlarged it and pasted on my office wall. Every time I feel down, I look up and read your kind words :D Thanks for the feedback. We will meet again in LPSIImwink.gif
    edited February 28, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    Bellowing the Blues - b/w worked great, nice exposure, like the angle. Concert shots are hard to get. I can't help but want to see a little more of the right side.

Tessa, Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate the time taken by everyone to feedback on the images and I'm now looking to LPSII to put the feedback into action :D Cheers.
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    Behind the Blue Door - this really grabbed me, and I thought it was like a painting. Wonderful colors, interesting things to look at. I liked the negative space that the door provided. as much as I enjoyed looking at all the things hanging, I began to feel that there were too many and put it out of balance.

Sincerely,
    Tessa

Thanks for the feedback Tessa... In retrospect I agree with your assesment that there was probably to much stuff on the coat rack... Thanks again :D Loved the stage door by the way... I felt your pain about the winter weather and snow by the way... It was definately a disadvantage for those of us living in Northern climes to try and capture a nice stunning outdoor image...

Winston
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Tessa,

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6