Options

Canon v. Nikon

13»

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited February 29, 2008
    My d200 uses the same lenses my F100 uses which use the same lenses my FE still uses. When I get my D3 it will use every lense I own all the way back to 1977. If I look around and want to buy glass back to 1947 I can get the early ones modified. But I doubt I will buy any pre 1977 Nikon lenses. But they are great glass and cheap.

My AE1 still takes great photos, but I can not buy a new one that will use the lenses I own for it.

The Nikon does fit in my hand better than my Canon. But I am still mad about the lense thing. Not really. It just made buying an F100 the best choice since I had both Nikon and Canon lenses at the time and a new Canon would not use the old Canon glass. four perfect lense, still in use, on a 40 year old camera that look like it was bought yesterday. I had better Canon glass than Nikon at the time. Would never trust Canon again. And my Nikon takes such great phots when I remember to set it right, and when I don't? Well thats what lightroom is for.

While I appreciate the fact that Nikon hasn't changed their basic lens/body mount in a long time, I appreciate more that Pentax has the best lens compatability of any manufacturer, ever. I still have old Pentax screw-mount (universal screw)/M42 glass that will fit a modern Pentax body with the use of a simple, and cheap, adapter.

Better yet, I can buy simple adapters that allow the use of older manual focus lenses from several manufacturers on my Canon dSLRs, namely Pentax (screw and bayonet "K"), Nikon F, Contax, Olympus OM and Leica R.

I do have an adapter to use Canon FD lenses on the EOS system cameras, but it does not work well with the short focal length lenses I have available.

Granted, all of these lenses would be manual focus and preset aperture, but the adapter I use for Pentax screw mount has a chip that allows focus confirmation and auto-exposure convenience.

Quality of some of the older Pentax mount glass can be pretty good as well:

Vivitar 500mm, f6.3 (wide open)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=10525&d=1138925123

Crop from above:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=10526&d=1138926158

Pentax 50mm, f1.4 SMC (at f5.6)
    82051370-D.jpg

Crop from above:
    82271260-D.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums