Shooting through acrylic?

AhzdeeenAhzdeeen Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited February 26, 2008 in Holy Macro
Hi everyone, relatively new to photography, I've been lurking here till I saved the money for my rig, finally got it, and of course I'm taking pictures of everything. We have a 65 gallon reef tank setup in our apartment, and that means there are tons of critters and bits for me to practice macro shooting on. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on dealing with the acrylic of the tank itself, in regards to flash and whatnot. Here's one pic that I've taken so far, a bunch more on flickr of course.
2291838985_556c317820.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Ahzdeeen wrote:
    Hi everyone, relatively new to photography, I've been lurking here till I saved the money for my rig, finally got it, and of course I'm taking pictures of everything. We have a 65 gallon reef tank setup in our apartment, and that means there are tons of critters and bits for me to practice macro shooting on. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on dealing with the acrylic of the tank itself, in regards to flash and whatnot. Here's one pic that I've taken so far, a bunch more on flickr of course.

Ahzdeeen this looks pretty darn good to me nod.gif
    Usually when it comes to glass you shoot at a 45 Deg. angle.

I have shot through glass with the lens right up against the glass,
    and hand held the flash above what I was shooting at,
    however I have not tried that on a fish tank.

You could get away with saying you took that shot under water,
    cause it looks Great! clap.gif that is a beautiful shot .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    You really need to get the lens up against the sides to prevent any flash flare. You are best off trying to keep the lens at right angles to the side otherwise you can get nasty aberrations caused by the sides of the tank. Obviously you need to make sure both surfaces of the tank wall you are shooting through are nice and clean.

Brian V.