Options

Scotland

cbsnetcbsnet Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
We just booked airfare to Scotland for two and half weeks leaving at the end of July.

We're planning to start in Edinburgh and then head up to the Hebrides. Any recommendations on where I can get some interesting shots?

-carl

Comments

• Options
    FrogwellFrogwell Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Anywhere up the West Coast.

A few popular locations off the top of my head:

Glencoe
    Glen Affric
    Isle of Skye
    Rannoch Moor/Black Mount
    Everything North of Kyle of Lochalsh

How are you travelling? What sort of thing are you after? Landscape? Wildlife? Towns? Old buildings? People? Bit of everything?

I have quite a few landscape destinations in my gallery if that helps?

http://www.frogwell.com/gallery/
    I didn't sell out, I bought in.
    www.frogwell.com
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    Frogwell wrote:
    Anywhere up the West Coast.

A few popular locations off the top of my head:

Glencoe
    Glen Affric
    Isle of Skye
    Rannoch Moor/Black Mount
    Everything North of Kyle of Lochalsh

How are you travelling? What sort of thing are you after? Landscape? Wildlife? Towns? Old buildings? People? Bit of everything?

I have quite a few landscape destinations in my gallery if that helps?

http://www.frogwell.com/gallery/

Your photos are stunning. We have rented a car and I'm looking to get a bit of everything at this time but prob not wildlife.

Do you live there?

-carl
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    cbsnet wrote:
    Your photos are stunning. We have rented a car and I'm looking to get a bit of everything at this time but prob not wildlife.

Do you live there?

-carl
    Hi Carl,

Once you leave Edinburgh I would suggest taking the M9 motorway North to Stirling (nothing of any great interest to see along there anyway, so the motorway gets it out of the way quicker). In Stirling you can see Stirling Castle and Wallace monument which are both worth a peek.

From Stirling I would take the A84 North with maybe a quick stop for a picture of Doune Castle. The A84 will turn into the A85 and then at Tyndrum take the A82 up through Rannoch Moor/Black mount and Glencoe - a section of Scotland that was clearly purpose built for photographers. A left turn into Glen Etive is a nice little gem that people often miss.

When you get to Glen Coe village the little detour round Loch Leven is well worth and hour with some good vantage points along the way.

Once you get to Forth William you could either take the A830 to Mallaig which is a nice road and from there take the Ferry to the bottom of the Isle of Skye. Alternatively you could follow the A82/A87 to the Kyle of Lochalsh. A decent half day detour would be to follow the A82 half way up Loch Ness till you get to the A831 and then go see Glen Affric. Despite its fame, Loch Ness is one the duller bodies of water in Scotland, so I wouldn't recommend you waste a lot of time on it.

Whether you got to Skye on the ferry or by the bridge at the Kyle of Lochalsh, you'll want to spend some time on the Island. The North is the most photogenic, and you can do a loop round the Island, and if you can get to Elgol for a sunset it's a nice way to see the day out.

When coming off Skye, turn left at Kyle of Lochalsh and take the little back road up to Plockton and Duirinish etc - lovely little villages! Following that little road will connect you up with the A890 which I would recommend you follow to the next junction where a left turn will bring you onto the A896. Follow that till you get to a left turn for the pass road to Applecross - that road is a must! One of the craziest roads we have in Scotland. The loop round the Applecross peninsula is well worth a few hours and will bring you back onto the A896 at Torridon - another area you might want to spend an hour or two in.

When you get to Kinlochewe turn left on the A832, that loop should present plenty of photo stops until you get to the A835, where a left turn will take you up to Ullapool where you can catch a ferry to Stornaway. I've never actually been to the Outer Hebrides so can't help you there, although it is on my list now they're talking about reducing the price of the ferry (stupidly expensive in the past - I could fly to America for less!).

If you're not want to take the ferry just yet, follow the A835 North out of Ullapool - you'll be stopping every 200 yards for a photo. Taking the little back road to Achiltibuie is also well worth it and from there you can follow the coast road up to Lochinver. From Lochinver you can either follow the coast road round or take the A837 to Loch Assynt and get some photos of Ardvreck Castle. From there just keep going along the A838 along the North coast - some lovely scenery all along the way.

Sorry if it's a bit rambling, but it should help a bit hopefully.

Mark

Here are a few pictures of some of the places mentioned above.

Black Mount
    070820b.jpg

060218d.jpg

Buachaille Etive Mor - at the entrance to Glencoe.
    060218e.jpg

Glencoe
    060219b.jpg

On the rod to Mallaig
    060218j.jpg

Glen Affric
    070607a.jpg

Skye
    060627c.jpg

Duirinish
    060609c.jpg

Plockton
    060627k.jpg

Applecross pass
    060627v.jpg

Applecross peninsula
    060627zz01.jpg

Torridon Mountains
    060627n.jpg

On the road North of Ullapool
    071001c.jpg

North Coast
    071001h.jpg
    www.frogwell.com
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif

Torridon, the road to Applecross and really any where on the West Coast :D

The Outer Hebrides are a diverse and picturesque part of the world, fantastic fun in the Summer, what with 'house ceilidhs' etc. I lived on South Uist for a few months.. beautiful. thumb.gif

My images of the West Coast are nowhere near the quality of Frogwell's bowdown.gif but here is a view of the Torridon Mountains from further north (near Aultbea) that might whet your appetite some more...

259826417_psn66-L.jpg

Even the roads in the Highlands are picturesque...

249390547_nPCBZ-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2008
    Thanks for all the help!!! All the photos posted are gorgeous!!! One of the things I think I'm going to get before I go is a [SIZE=-1]polarizing [/SIZE]filter. I have a 70-300 and my 18-55 lenses.

Any recommendations for anything else I should bring?

-carl
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2008
    Hyperbaric wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif
    My images of the West Coast are nowhere near the quality of Frogwell's
    You kidding? I'd kill to have taken a picture like the Torridon one! Well, maim at least :)

cbsnet wrote:
    Thanks for all the help!!! All the photos posted are gorgeous!!! One of the things I think I'm going to get before I go is a [SIZE=-1]polarizing [/SIZE]filter. I have a 70-300 and my 18-55 lenses.

Any recommendations for anything else I should bring?

-carl
    Camera wise - it's all personal choice I suppose. I'd add a neutral density graduated filter to your list though, but that's just me. I also find a small pocket sized umbrella to be useful, at least then you can still take photos in poor weather as long as it's not overly windy.

Other things:

Avon skin so soft - it's the only thing that will keep the midges from eating you alive!

Waterproof jacket - preferably something lightweight and breathable. Quite often the ambient temperature is quite warm but the wind is desperately cold, so just keeping the wind off keeps you warm without overheating you. That said some warm fleeces or the like would also be a good idea. The Scottish weather is notoriously unpredictable, especially around May when we could either be having the tail end of a late winter, or the early start to summer - quite often several times a day. For instance I went for a walk at lunchtime yesterday, blue skies, gentle breeze and mild temperatures. Within 5 minutes there was 40mph wind, horizontal sleet and snow and temperatures barely above freezing. Ten minutes later it had passed and I had to carry my jacket it was so warm.

Good solid shoes - if you're wanting landscapes then you have to get off paved roads a bit - The pretty parts of Scotland are often rough and/or muddy.

That would probably about do you. Oh, and remember we drive on the other side of the road. Until you get North of Fort William, then just drive where ever you want :)

Mark
    www.frogwell.com
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2008
    Frogwell wrote:

That would probably about do you. Oh, and remember we drive on the other side of the road. Until you get North of Fort William, then just drive where ever you want :)

Mark

Laughing.gif!!! We reserved a car but it has an automatic transmission. I really wanted a manual to get the full affect of, errr.. creative driving. But my lassie doesn't know how to drive one. I learned how to drive in Brooklyn NY, so I think I'll fit right in.

-carl