Night Shooting II

StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
edited February 27, 2008 in Landscapes
This shot has the sky/land ratio slightly less centred than the previous atttempt I made but shows significantly more noise than the last shot. I think as a result of a wider aperture and even longer exposure at 20 minutes

C&C most welcome. This is a steep learning curve for me and one I won't get to reshoot in the near future :cry

259142717_mEvdr-XL.jpg

Cheers

Stan

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Wow this is great clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    bowdown.gif

I have no objections to this image. Great composition - really like how you've focused on the valley. The angles of the mountains draw attention to the mysterious light, and the stars just set the whole thing off. Even the gradient of blue fading to gold is so pleasing. Wow! thumb.gif
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Nice work!

There's only one way to deal with noise at exposures this long. Try shooting shorter exposures at higher sensitivities and stacking them together. Shoot dark frames and bias frames. You can then stack it into the final product at which point the noise gets averaged out.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Very Well done. Congrats!
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Nailed the white balance. Excellent shot (regardless of noise). To me it's just a little extra character.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    This is so superior to the previous horizontalthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    wings.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Excellent Shot thumb.gif
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Thank you all for the kind responses to the shot. I'd love to be there again. the sky is so dark with very little light pollution. My next trip to the Alps will be to a much busier village so no chance of finding such darkness again.

Cheers
    Stan
  • david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Great composition. personally, I prefer the middle valley to be slightly darker, but still a great shot!
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    stunning! so your shutter was open almost 20 minutes?! beautiful.
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Hi Tessa. Thanks for commenting. yes, one twenty minute exposure and even then I had to boost exposure by 1.00 stop in Raw. the camera then takes almost as long to process the picture and freezes until it is done. A good supply of fresh batteries is a must.CheersStan