Battery Grip for 40D

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited February 29, 2008 in Cameras
I have just bought a battery grip from Jessops for my 40D. They were unable to answer my question which is: The grip holds two batteries and what I wanted to know was do both batteries run down together or are they individual. Should I just put one battery in and keep one spare. I am thinking about charging obviously. Also would you advise I left the battery(s) in the grip over night or remove them as I use my camera on a daily basis. Your help as usual is always appreciated.
Cheers
Bob

Comments

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    They run down together.

I've used two batteries with my 300D and 20D, there's enough life in the two that it puts Duracell bunnies to shame :D

Put two batteries in the grip and keep a third in the bag as a backup.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    They run down together.

I've used two batteries with my 300D and 20D, there's enough life in the two that it puts Duracell bunnies to shame :D

Put two batteries in the grip and keep a third in the bag as a backup.

Thanks for replying.
    I only use the the two batteries so I will use one and keep the other for a backup. I see there is an 'on' 'off' switch on the grip. What is this for as I have looked at the intructions and they are anything but clear. Also another button. What is that for. I always rely on Dgrin members to get me through these problems.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    The on/off switch on the grip in the on position allows you to use the shutter release and other buttons on the grip when the camera is on.

What's the label of another button that you referred to?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    edited February 26, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    The on/off switch on the grip in the on position allows you to use the shutter release and other buttons on the grip when the camera is on.

What's the label of another button that you referred to?

Cuong

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I now understand your 'on' 'off' procedure but what are the other buttons for? There are two on the front of the grip and a wheel and another button which is not identified by any symbol. When do I switch the grip on the 'on' position?
    Regards
    Bob
  • TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I now understand your 'on' 'off' procedure but what are the other buttons for? There are two on the front of the grip and a wheel and another button which is not identified by any symbol.
    Regards
    Bob

Granted that these are what the buttons are on my XT/BG-E3 grip, but i'd imagine that they're similar on the 40d

Holding the camera vertically, from front to back, you have the shutter button, then the main dial. On the back, the left top button that has the * above it is the AE lock/FE lock/Index/Reduce button. The right top button that has the cross in the box is the Auto Focus point selection/Enlarge button. The button labeled AV is Aperture/Exposure compensation button.
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
    Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
    Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex
    edited February 26, 2008
    TaDa wrote:
    Granted that these are what the buttons are on my XT/BG-E3 grip, but i'd imagine that they're similar on the 40d

Holding the camera vertically, from front to back, you have the shutter button, then the main dial. On the back, the left top button that has the * above it is the AE lock/FE lock/Index/Reduce button. The right top button that has the cross in the box is the Auto Focus point selection/Enlarge button. The button labeled AV is Aperture/Exposure compensation button.

Thanks for that as I am just wondering when I have to use these buttons. Or should I just carry on as normal.
    Regards
    Bob
  • TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks for that as I am just wondering when I have to use these buttons. Or should I just carry on as normal.
    Regards
    Bob

The AF Point select is handy when you're trying to focus on something where the default AF is trying to lock on to something else. The Aperture/Exposure compensation is really used for Manual shooting, and since I mainly shoot in AV, I don't tend to use it much. Since the buttons on the grip are the same buttons on your camera, a quick read of the user's guide will help you out on when to use which button.
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
    Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
    Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex
    edited February 26, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Regards
    Bob

Those buttons are simply duplicates of the buttons on the camera. They are there so that when you switch from normal shooting to holding the camera vertically, you still have the same buttons in the same places under your fingers. The on-off switch is a key-lock for them.
    Creativity's hard.

edited February 26, 2008
    TaDa wrote:
    The AF Point select is handy when you're trying to focus on something where the default AF is trying to lock on to something else. The Aperture/Exposure compensation is really used for Manual shooting, and since I mainly shoot in AV, I don't tend to use it much. Since the buttons on the grip are the same buttons on your camera, a quick read of the user's guide will help you out on when to use which button.

Thanks for your reply. I use AV mode too so I think I will just keep on shooting the way I have without complicating things. Can you tell me what the button that is not marked is for. I just like to have an explanation if anyone asks and for my curiosity too. The guys in the shop couldn.t tell me. Just read the instructions and I am no wiser.
    Regards
    Bob
    edited February 26, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks for your reply. I use AV mode too so I think I will just keep on shooting the way I have without complicating things. Can you tell me what the button that is not marked is for. I just like to have an explanation if anyone asks and for my curiosity too. The guys in the shop couldn.t tell me. Just read the instructions and I am no wiser.
    Regards
    Bob

Not sure what you're referring to. Take a picture for us?
    Also, just to confirm, are we talking about the 400D grip (BG-E3) or the 40D grip (BG-E2)?
    Creativity's hard.

• evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Hmmm.... Unidentified buttons,
    One button (with the arrow on it) opens the battery compartment. One button shoots out the extra AA battery cartridge, and the other is the shutter button.
    If you think that's hard, the hand strap for it has no instructions that come with the package; the only instructions apparently coming with a 1d series camera or through an online google search.

I keep both batteries in until the camera shows one bar. If I think I won't be using the camera for an extended period of time (like a month or so) then I'll take them out.

Canon suggest you recharge them before they are completely discharge.
    Regardless mine are still showing as full and I've not charged them since the NY Giants Superbowl parade. (2/5 - 2/27) :ivar

Enjoy the camera. I love the shots I'm getting out of this thing even at ISO 3200 and live view:
    254620803_Doqyk-XL.jpg
    straight outta camera.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    I'm going by the 20D grip, but expect they are all similar.

I suspect it's the buttons replicating the ones on the body that are in question. Just look at the buttons & wheel near the shutter button on the body. You will see the same group on the right end of the grip--same relationship in layout, same function. Simple as that.

The only other "controls" on the grip is the battery compartment latch and the On/Off lock for the repeater controls discussed above.
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Chris, the bg-e2 and the bg-e2n are the same aside from some gaskets on the N version. Both will work on the XXD series.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    TaDa wrote:
    The Aperture/Exposure compensation is really used for Manual shooting, and since I mainly shoot in AV, I don't tend to use it much.

A little off the topic at hand here, but...
    Hmm...I believe Exposure Compensation IS for the Av/Tv/P modes. When you shoot manually, you just set your exposure as you'd like with shutter speed and aperture and change those to adjust for your shot. Exposure Compensation is used to adjust an exposure that the camera figures out on its own, based on those Av/Tv/P modes. It's like an over-ride function so that you can still be the boss. :D Perhaps I've misunderstood what was said here, but hopefully this makes sense.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited February 28, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Not sure what you're referring to. Take a picture for us?
    Also, just to confirm, are we talking about the 400D grip (BG-E3) or the 40D grip (BG-E2)?

I am talking about the 40D grip. The button I am referring to is at the front of the grip immediately in front of the wheel.
    Cheers
    Bob
    edited February 28, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Hmmm.... Unidentified buttons,
    One button (with the arrow on it) opens the battery compartment. One button shoots out the extra AA battery cartridge, and the other is the shutter button.
    If you think that's hard, the hand strap for it has no instructions that come with the package; the only instructions apparently coming with a 1d series camera or through an online google search.

I keep both batteries in until the camera shows one bar. If I think I won't be using the camera for an extended period of time (like a month or so) then I'll take them out.

Canon suggest you recharge them before they are completely discharge.
    Regardless mine are still showing as full and I've not charged them since the NY Giants Superbowl parade. (2/5 - 2/27) :ivar

Enjoy the camera. I love the shots I'm getting out of this thing even at ISO 3200 and live view:
    254620803_Doqyk-XL.jpg
    straight outta camera.
    Thanks ever so much. I see you have exactly the same camera's that I have and similiar gear too. I use my camera on a a daily weekly basis so I will put my two batteries in the grip.
    Thanks for your reply
    Bob
    edited February 28, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    I am talking about the 40D grip. The button I am referring to is at the front of the grip immediately in front of the wheel.
    Cheers
    Bob

Have you tried pressing it, sounds a lot like the shutter release! :D

There's also the doggy flap for the ac-adapter's cord, next to the wheel you screw the grip to the camera with, but I'd say that's on the backside.
    Creativity's hard.

edited February 28, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Those buttons are simply duplicates of the buttons on the camera. They are there so that when you switch from normal shooting to holding the camera vertically, you still have the same buttons in the same places under your fingers. The on-off switch is a key-lock for them.

Thanks for your kind help and I really appreciate what you have said in plain terms.
    Regards
    Bob
    edited February 29, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks for your kind help and I really appreciate what you have said in plain terms.
    Regards
    Bob

Happy to help, cheers! beer.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    As concerns the battery usage, I seem to remember reading that the camera will draw from the best charged battery first, until it reaches the same level as the other, and then from both of them in parralel until they run out of juice all at once.

This is for the XT grip, but I have no reason to believe it'd be any different.
    edited February 29, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:
    As concerns the battery usage, I seem to remember reading that the camera will draw from the best charged battery first, until it reaches the same level as the other, and then from both of them in parralel until they run out of juice all at once.

This is for the XT grip, but I have no reason to believe it'd be any different.

The batteries are protected agaist taking current in from the other battery (or at least should be! Li-batteries are very sensitive to wrong charging currents), which leads to exactly the behaviour you described.
    Creativity's hard.