First Nightclub Experience (with a camera!)

PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited March 3, 2008 in People
Not 100% sure this is the right forum for this... I was invited to a special event last Thursday night involving Dani Campbell, a reality-TV "star" from MTV's "A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila". The event took place at a local nightclub... boy did I underestimate the crowd! I was amazined at the lengths people would go through simply to have their picture taken with "the star". :rofl

Anyway, someone else handled most of the "photo-with-the-star" shots, so I got to move around the club and capture the event. This was my first experience at photography inside a very-dark and very-crowded club, and it was tougher than I thought. Next time, I'm going to boost the ISO significantly. Most of these were between 200 and 400, but I think 1600 is a better bet...

Anyway, some pix for you to look at. Any C&C are more than welcome! I anticipate doing more nightclub gigs with this promoter, so any suggestions would be great.

1. The star Dani Campbell (on the right) 259149212_YUFYs-M.jpg

2. The scene 259150406_dDMrt-M.jpg

3. Dancing on the floor 259150062_AG36A-M.jpg

4. In the spotlights 259150774_Xesyp-M.jpg

5. Having a drink 259150097_EQU8s-M.jpg

6. A group of friends 259150145_UntWG-M.jpg

7. Fire dancer 1 259149800_qVnZX-M.jpg

8. Fire dancer 2 259149878_wGhbv-M.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Phil Collum
Phil Collum Photography
San Diego, CA, USA
Equipment list in my profile

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited February 27, 2008
    Shooting inside a dark club is hard enough when the subjects aren't twirling torches. :D I think you did well. But I think you have the right idea to increase the ISO next time. As you say, you will get more noise, but some of that can be fixed in post.

Regards,
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    I like the last one. Very nice!

Not much neon or what not in that club, when there is though, drag the shutter, stop down, and put some power to the flash.

Seriously use the flash on manual or bracket it so that it outputs more power because its always dimly lit. Also, I'm pretty use you're using a diffuser; try to compensate for the loss of light from it by bracketing the flash up to redeem your fotos from becoming underexposed.

Clubs are always fun especially when you finally get paid to shoot them. Be careful though, too much of a good thing (or bad ;p) is a bad thing (which is good?). Haha.. enjoy.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Nice series.

That last photo is hot!:hide
  • SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Very nice. I like to get a little into it when I shoot a club. I've got up on the bar with the girls dancin, Get up on those little tables attached to columns, Up on speakers... bust a move... have a lil fun... then people always pose for the guy with the big camera.

My fave setting is ISO 200, flash, f/8 or so, 1/2 to 2 second exposure. I have a thin leather strap on my cam, so I take the initial shot, then twirl it around to get funky lighting effects. Gives a sense of motion & craziness. But then again, it was ball state. wings.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/socos/sets/72157603818615307/

Sometimes I also added a second off camera flash, manually activated.
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Great Series bowdown.gif
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • nedlA kraMnedlA kraM Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    hahaha i love the guys expression in the last shot, and i don't blame him!!!
    Life only happens once....so capture it
  • PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. All the shots were full manual, and almost all were with dual flashes (one off- and one on-camera). The off-camera flash was set to fire about 1 stop brighter than the on-camera, and both were either difussed or pocket-bounced. I dragged the shutter anywhere from about 1/3 to a full 2", but my mistake was definately the low ISO - it didn't give me enough ambient light to work with without excruciatingly long shutter speeds.

I have another event in a couple weeks at the same club, and I'm going to try ranges between 400 and 1600, to allow a better shutter drag. I can't wait to experiment some more with this genre. I think I'll also try some second curtain syncing...mwink.gif

It was a great time, although the swinging fire did give me a scare! :uhoh

Thanks for looking.
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
  • PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    nedlA kraM wrote:
    hahaha i love the guys expression in the last shot, and i don't blame him!!!

Amazing, I didn't even notice him until you mentioned it! (Guess my eyes were distracted elsewhere???) rolleyes1.gif
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Seriously use the flash on manual or bracket it so that it outputs more power because its always dimly lit. Also, I'm pretty use you're using a diffuser; try to compensate for the loss of light from it by bracketing the flash up to redeem your fotos from becoming underexposed.

I must be dumb. When I read this...all I see is....blah blah blah. Bracket a flash?? What the heck does that mean? Perhaps it's some term for on camera flashes. I've never used them so I rekkin I'm not up on the terminology.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com