American Geisha, or Kimono in Winter

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited February 29, 2008 in People
It's been a long time since I've been shooting, but a friend wanted to do something fun one afternoon (in February! brrr!) with a costume she had from the fall. My goal was to get some vintage-looking shots - not exactly classic, but more the type of look that one would find from media dating from the 1930s or 1940s.

I am pretty inexperienced with models and relished the experience. I'd appreciate any feedback if anyone's got any. :D

Additionally, I know the poses are all a bit similar but for some reason my attempts to replicate traditional postures all fell a little bit flat. :scratch

259263251_RMXpg-L-1.jpg

255577911_UkjQL-L-2.jpg

259249221_jTkkF-L-1.jpg

259263240_UABDS-L-1.jpg

And one obviously non-vintage look:

259249056_sZK5t-L-1.jpg

Comments

• DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    That's quite the elaborate costume she's got going on there, I dig it. I particularly enjoy the color ones. :)
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Very nice set!!

It appears to me that the processing is right for the look you were trying to achieve. I prefer the color shot the least. My favorite is #2. #2 may be a good candidate for a LAB conversion BW. I think it would help get that smooth and delicate skin look.

Thanks for sharing.
  • iamagooiamagoo Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    I prefer the color one though the pattern is a little distracting, it's less so than the busyness of the BWs. Nice job on the makeup and hair too.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Thanks all, I do appreciate the feedback and opinions! thumb.gif

She did the makeup and hair herself (though it was a wig), so I take no credit for that. I'm all thumbs with that stuff.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Hi Schmoo :smo

I like #2 and #5 the best, I think, Especially 5. I'm a sucker for eyes, what can I say lol3.gif The only thing I'm not sure about is the brick-pattern in the top-left corner on #5. But removing that might give a totally different feel to it as well, so I'm really not sure.

Actually, I really like #4 as well. I really like the 'distant' feel from it. As if your she is almost not aware that the image is taken. Does that make sense? It's also the one that feels most 'real geisha' to me.
    edited February 28, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Schmoo :smo

I like #2 and #5 the best, I think, Especially 5. I'm a sucker for eyes, what can I say lol3.gif The only thing I'm not sure about is the brick-pattern in the top-left corner on #5. But removing that might give a totally different feel to it as well, so I'm really not sure.

Actually, I really like #4 as well. I really like the 'distant' feel from it. As if your she is almost not aware that the image is taken. Does that make sense? It's also the one that feels most 'real geisha' to me.
    Thanks Ivar! I see what you're saying about the bricks. I actually did darken those in curves when processing it to put more of the focus on her face. Not enough? headscratch.gif

I do think she has nice eyes and she is not afraid to look right at the camera. But I agree about liking poses where she is looking away, too.

Posing models is quite something. It's much faster and easier (I think, overall) to get candids lol3.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Thanks Ivar! I see what you're saying about the bricks. I actually did darken those in curves when processing it to put more of the focus on her face. Not enough? headscratch.gif
    I don't think they really need any darkening. Not to put more focus on her face, anyway. I think the 'half circle' of the black hair and her eyes already do a pretty nice job there.

It's not the bricks so much that I was talking about, but more the contrast between the bricks and the gaps between them (don't know the technical english term, sorry :D). Maybe darken the whole brick area, but get the contrast down. Does that make sense?
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Interesting shots, and close to something. I see them as being a rehearsal. Will you dissect them with your subject and then do a final shoot? I prefer the architectural settings to the vegetable. I like the color pic best, color is so much part of the geisha image. However, I don't think the posing of the arms is very attractive in that pic (her hands folded on her lap, perhaps?), and the body is a bit too foreshortened, I think. Her face could be whiter-ivory, with a subtle blush on the very top and outer edges of the cheeks, the eyebrows more painted, the lashes heavier black and the lower lip painted with a slightly more naturalistic shape. The kimono is very beautiful (though the collar is a little untidy in a couple of the shots) and suits the subject very well. It would very much add to the effect, and frame and soften the neck and face, for her also to wear a han juban or eri sugata.

Would like to see more work with these.

Thanks for sharing!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    I learned from an event a few weeks ago how tough posing can really be, and I think you've done a fantastic job. You nailed the vintage processing you were going for. clap.gif

I really like #1--the composition and the elegant distance from your subject really appeal to me. #2 holds the most potential out of the rest for me. Another strong composition, but her eyes are lacking pop for me. Smoothing her skin a bit, per ivar's suggestion, would also add to the overall vintagey look, I think, and help bring those eyes out a bit more. They're just a smidge too dark for my taste.

Very nicely done. thumb.gif And much more elegant than my own goofy effort. :giggle
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Hey Schmoo...Great set! I think the color ones really emphasize how elaborate the composition is. Overall a great set!!!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    These are superb lovely
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited February 29, 2008
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, everyone! I am flattered :D

Kerry I love that pic of you. So adorable! Also, I really love all of your wall colors.

You know, #2 was the first one I processed right after the shoot, then I shelved the set for a week and pulled them out again and processed the rest. So I didn't take as much time or have any artistic direction with that one. I think you have really noticed that, as I didn't do anything specific to her face or eyes like I did in the others.

Gotta love these perceptive Dgrinners. bowdown.gif