Options

Stalking the sunset

DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
edited February 29, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Is it a landscape if people are in it? So that's why I'm posting here. :D

Out here in the Bay Area of California we have to grab all the sunsets we can while the rainy season is hanging around. In the summer our sunsets are shrouded in fog, or just plain sky and glowing orb. So even though I got a really neat sunset yesterday on our way home from the harbor we stopped at a local hostel. The sky was all right, but on the boring side, so we headed home. We left at 5:57 and got into town at 6:11, but it took us until 6:17 to park on the beach. Six minutes is a LOT to have to go such a short distance in town, and it caused me to lose the best light of the sunset. Rats... oh well, here's what I managed to capture. I had the tripod and my remote again. People who know me will be proud that I actually used Manual settings for the last two photos in this thread!

Here's what was left of the sunset when I hopped out of the car. Handheld...

259300045_a4mz9-L.jpg

Straight to the west had pretty much faded by the time I got the camera, remote and tripod in place, and messed around with my f-stop and shutter speed. So I aimed southwest instead. So close after sunset/dusk the lights reflected on the incoming waves was a bit redder than usual.

259300080_XiwYE-L.jpg

And with the light totally gone, I focused on these people sitting on the sea wall who had watched the sunset, and were just enjoying the lingering light. The hotel lights are reflecting on the water. I even managed to get a fleeting seagull!

259300118_QTj8G-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Dee wrote:
    Is it a landscape if people are in it? So that's why I'm posting here. :D

Out here in the Bay Area of California we have to grab all the sunsets we can while the rainy season is hanging around. In the summer our sunsets are shrouded in fog, or just plain sky and glowing orb. So even though I got a really neat sunset yesterday on our way home from the harbor we stopped at a local hostel. The sky was all right, but on the boring side, so we headed home. We left at 5:57 and got into town at 6:11, but it took us until 6:17 to park on the beach. Six minutes is a LOT to have to go such a short distance in town, and it caused me to lose the best light of the sunset. Rats... oh well, here's what I managed to capture. I had the tripod and my remote again. People who know me will be proud that I actually used Manual settings for the last two photos in this thread!

Here's what was left of the sunset when I hopped out of the car. Handheld...

Straight to the west had pretty much faded by the time I got the camera, remote and tripod in place, and messed around with my f-stop and shutter speed. So I aimed southwest instead. So close after sunset/dusk the lights reflected on the incoming waves was a bit redder than usual.

And with the light totally gone, I focused on these people sitting on the sea wall who had watched the sunset, and were just enjoying the lingering light. The hotel lights are reflecting on the water. I even managed to get a fleeting seagull!

Hey there Dee, how's it going :D

That is one real nice sunset you've captured there.
    The first one I really like, two people in it really make the shot something special.

The second one is has so many colours in it, the first time I looked at it I didn't see as many, till I looked at it the second time, and took notice of all the different colours throughout the image.

First two shots are my favourites thumb.gif
    Nicely captured Dee, thanks for sharing ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    Thanks Skippy for your comments! Hope all is well with you!
  • Options
    HyperSniperHyperSniper Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Great work here, it may be the monitor I'm looking at them on (school monitor, not my normal one), but I would tweak the colors and brighten them up just a little bit in photoshop, and it looks to me like they could be a bit sharper. Other than that, great work.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    Great work here, it may be the monitor I'm looking at them on (school monitor, not my normal one), but I would tweak the colors and brighten them up just a little bit in photoshop, and it looks to me like they could be a bit sharper. Other than that, great work.

Hehe, if I brighten the colors any more than I already did in photoshop my eyes will go blind ! :D:D:D

The last two photos were taken on a tripod, but at the beach it is possible the wind moved the camera a little. I also don't like to oversharpen my photos, and I'm still experimenting with what f-stop does what with the camera.

Thanks for your comments though, it's nice to receive comments and the one about sharp I'll try to work on some more.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Dee, that second one does it for me - very nice work! I'd print that one big deal.gif