First Live Music shoot ever...need some feedback!

RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
edited February 27, 2008 in People
1st off - thanks you to all your sugestions on my earlier inquiry about shooting live music. !!
After some preparation I fianlly attempted my very 1st live concert. I'd like to know where i can improve.

Here's some background:

- The place was small and lighting was horrid (ie. red spotlight on performer, few backlights)
- I shot everything using MANUAL FOCUS
- ISO 1600 for the most part, but a few i got away at ISO 800
- Shot everything in Manual Moe, with exception of Aperture Priority when using the 50mm (which meters) and spot-metering
- My equipment: Nikon D40, 50mm 1.8D (meters, but no autofocus), 28mm 2.8 (no metering, no AF), and 135mm 3.5 Series E (no metering, no AF)
- WB and color balance adjusted in post processing
- Don't mind the watermark, as i am sending these to the promoter (she asked to see some for possible future work for me) :dunno
- My first unofficial payment...a beer from the promoter... just for being there (very nice ppl)

PLease let me know what you think and where I can improve...

#1259302602_Xtwxh-M.jpg

#2259302145_QqHwE-M.jpg

259302557_Yqpvt-M.jpg

259302232_CydXh-M.jpg

259302258_f6Cxo-M.jpg

#6259302192_2uDZs-M.jpg

259302342_2wnSA-M.jpg

259302380_Mex2C-M.jpg

259302301_JmRN5-M.jpg

259302512_VT5Ko-M.jpg

259302428_Dt55v-M.jpg

259302469_K8aa7-M.jpg

Thanks for looking ! :barb

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Very nice photos. Some of them are maybe a bit too noisy ... but I like the compositions & you had some great colors! thumb.gif Hope you'll get future jobs from them, for more than a beer ... headscratch.gif
  • RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Very nice photos. Some of them are maybe a bit too noisy ... but I like the compositions & you had some great colors! thumb.gif Hope you'll get future jobs from them, for more than a beer ... headscratch.gif

THanks Agnieszka (i have a cousin by that name)... ya, some of them are noisier than others, not sure why but most were shot at ISO1600 and i didn't use NoiseNinja because it softened the images too much... oh well, embrace the noise i say .. lol rolleyes1.gif ... Oh, and the beer was not really a form of "payment" ...they were just nice ppl and appreciated that someone came and covered their event thumb.gif lol ! :D But more beer is always good friday.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Oh, ok :D Missunderstood that (beer) part then ... clap.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Low light and different temperature lighting makes photography difficult. I think you handled it rather well.

Please understand that I don't do this sort of event photography, but one thought I had is that many of these photos are quite centered. Does it make any sense at all to not be quite so tight on the performer or to include a little more of the environment and put the performer into one of the "rule of thirds" intersections?
  • RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    THanks Scott for your comment.

I agree with you about the tight crop... your suggestions certainly make snese to me... i have quite a few using the 28mm and shot from a distance incorporating a bit more of the environment. I took about 300+ photos, so these are just a selection.. When i get to those i will post a few (it might take me a while tho) lol...

Low light and different temperature lighting makes photography difficult. I think you handled it rather well.

Please understand that I don't do this sort of event photography, but one thought I had is that many of these photos are quite centered. Does it make any sense at all to not be quite so tight on the performer or to include a little more of the environment and put the performer into one of the "rule of thirds" intersections?
  • neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    try noiseware to clean those up.. I would ... nice shoot!!!!