Options

Getting Keywords to work

ChaosGirlChaosGirl Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited December 8, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I am very new to smugmug, and I am having a problem getting keywords to work. The feature is turned on from my homepage, but it is completely blank (none are showing up). I have keywords entered in the keyword boxes on my photos, but they don't appear anywhere else. Help! Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 24, 2005
    ChaosGirl wrote:
    I am very new to smugmug, and I am having a problem getting keywords to work. The feature is turned on from my homepage, but it is completely blank (none are showing up). I have keywords entered in the keyword boxes on my photos, but they don't appear anywhere else. Help! Thanks!
    Are your galleries private or passworded? The keyword feature is automatically disabled in non-public galleries.
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    ChaosGirlChaosGirl Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 24, 2005
    Ben wrote:
    Are your galleries private or passworded? The keyword feature is automatically disabled in non-public galleries.
    Yep they're all private! That's it!! Thanks for your quick reply!
  • Options
    footballerfootballer Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 24, 2005
    I would be nice if keywords worked even on private or password protected galleries. It would be a great way to help manage my photos if I could search all of my photos by keyword. If they are in private galleries, then they should only show up in the search results if I am logged in.
  • Options
    volcs0volcs0 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    This has been requested by many. Unfortunately, it seems either (1) technically diifficult or (2) something the admins don't want to do to maintain album privacy.

I agree, I would love to have keywords available, even for private galleries, to those who are "logged in". But if I had to choose between private and keywords, I'd take private.

-sam

footballer wrote:
    I would be nice if keywords worked even on private or password protected galleries. It would be a great way to help manage my photos if I could search all of my photos by keyword. If they are in private galleries, then they should only show up in the search results if I am logged in.
  • Options
    victorvictor Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 29, 2005
    footballer wrote:
    I second that. I think smugmug need to take a careful look at the way the whole keyword/private/public thing is implemented.

After reading the above posts I tried changing a private album to public, to see if the keywords (still available in the IPTC "keywords" field in the original JPGs) would reveal themselves. No luck. Some sort of "rescan" button is needed.

New pics uploaded to the newly-public album have their keywords available. No surprise. The pics are probably scanned for keywords on their way in.

Now this is where the keyword thing gets weird and/or buggy ... if I set the newly-public album back to private again then that album's keywords are still visible on the home page, even when I'm logged out, and thus provide a "back-door" into the now private album :wow

I'm not too keen on uploading the 180 pics again just to get the keywords visible, or deleting/reloading an album so it becomes truly private again, but if that's what it takes ...

This is where Smugmug Explorer comes into its own mwink.gif
  • Options
    galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    Is this still the case?

If I make a private gallery public, will those keywords be excluded? Does the gallery need to be public when the pictures are uploaded? (I'm talking about IPTC keywords)

Thanks,

-KG
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    galla47 wrote:
    Is this still the case?

If I make a private gallery public, will those keywords be excluded? Does the gallery need to be public when the pictures are uploaded? (I'm talking about IPTC keywords)

Thanks,

-KG

I had a private gallery, and I added the keyword "8675309" to all the shots. Then I made it public. It took about two minutes, and the keywords were searchable. Try it thumb.gif