Video Editing Discussion

124»

Comments

• ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012
    No I had not seen that. That is awesome. I never really dove to deep in GoPro's site besides shopping for the camera. Thank you for pointing that out.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012
    Clixphoto wrote: »
    No I had not seen that. That is awesome. I never really dove to deep in GoPro's site besides shopping for the camera. Thank you for pointing that out.

I envy the Go-Pro users. All them geeks have apparently written some cool as heck Software/hacks and so forth which I wish I could use on my present system. I recently had trrouble and needed to repair a file. Not recover a file, but actually repair it. Apparently with Go-pro's in use in those eXtreme environments, they'd already had a special app to repair files when the cam becomes disconnected and corrupts the last file! so lots there!
    tom wise
    edited April 17, 2012
    Ok I converted my GoPro MP4 files to AVI and was able to import them into Premiere Pro 2.0. When I put the clip in the timeline, I only get a black screen. Is this because the GoPro video was shot at a different aspect ratio than the video into which it was imported?
    edited April 17, 2012
    Ok I converted my GoPro MP4 files to AVI and was able to import them into Premiere Pro 2.0. When I put the clip in the timeline, I only get a black screen. Is this because the GoPro video was shot at a different aspect ratio than the video into which it was imported?

No.

You say you put it in the timeline. I am not at all familiar with PP 2.0, but have CS5.5 and have had CS4. And in both of those once an asset is imported, you double click on the asset and it plays in the asset window and then you drag it into the timeline from there. Allowing you to take only the audio, only the Video or adjust in/out portions of each to then drag into the timeline.

So When you double click on an asset and it goes to the preview window, does it play there?

Does the clip play in Windows media player or any other player on the Desktop?
    tom wise
    edited April 17, 2012
    Yes they play fine on Windows Media Player. It's a black screen in the preview panel of Premiere as well.
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    When you're talking about your preview being a black screen as you play back from the timeline, make sure you're looking at your Program Monitor, not your source monitor. If it's your program monitor, it should say "Program: [name of your current sequence]" in the tabbed area above the monitor window.

If that's the case and you're still seeing black, you've transcoded your mp4 into an avi with a codec that premiere doesn't understand.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    TylerW wrote: »
    When you're talking about your preview being a black screen as you play back from the timeline, make sure you're looking at your Program Monitor, not your source monitor. If it's your program monitor, it should say "Program: [name of your current sequence]" in the tabbed area above the monitor window.

If that's the case and you're still seeing black, you've transcoded your mp4 into an avi with a codec that premiere doesn't understand.
    Sounds right. Only other thing I can think of is if Premier has playback settings like FCP does: Image/Alpha/Wireframe. If that's set wrong FCP will show black, as well.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,749 moderator
    edited April 17, 2012
    Yes they play fine on Windows Media Player. It's a black screen in the preview panel of Premiere as well.

Download and install the following free utility and use it to find out the contents of the new AVI file, and let us know what those contents are:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

Here are the basic instructions for using the utility:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 17, 2012
    replied to you Wes~
    tom wise
    edited April 17, 2012
    Wes, we may have discussed this, but have you considered just downloading a trial version of Premiere Pro CS 5.5?
    tom wise
  • FaithPromiseFaithPromise Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 3, 2012
    Triming a video to 15 Minutes
    I finally got how to re code a video to Smug mug. I have QuickTime 7 Pro and the manual and been looking for a way to limit video to the 15 min. Max. I feeling I'm the first person to have that idea. I'm hoping that's just not true. 1 video uploaded at 749MB and on the site it was edited to 15 minutes I think. How do I control all that.headscratch.gif
    edited December 3, 2012
    I finally got how to re code a video to Smug mug. I have QuickTime 7 Pro and the manual and been looking for a way to limit video to the 15 min. Max. I feeling I'm the first person to have that idea. I'm hoping that's just not true. 1 video uploaded at 749MB and on the site it was edited to 15 minutes I think. How do I control all that.headscratch.gif

I believe that you are looking for a video editing software, which is used to edit the video for content and length.

It would be helpful to know what operating system you are using and whether or not your computer is up to the task of editing your video (not all are).

So post your OS details, plus the other computer details (processor, video card, RAM, HD space, etc.) and add the type(s) of video file(s) you need to work on, and we can make recommendations.

Once you have a video editor, the specifics of the process of editing will vary somewhat by the specific platform and software. Expect some learning on your part.

If you absolutely "must" use QTP to try to edit, check out this video:

http://youtu.be/vX8bZtdjPWU
    ziggy53
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins

I was looking for an alternative video editor on YouTube and found a FREE one called HitFilm 4 Express. by FXHome It looks and works a lot like Primere with After Effects. Here is the YouTube video on how to get it and how it works. https://youtube.com/watch?v=liduoxsYNsE They claim it will work with most formats.

GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,939 Major grins

I'm having trouble looking through all the questions and answers here.

My dad took 16 mm movies and my sister has had them put on a disc (CD DVD or something like that). I want to take two sections out and put on a thumb drive to give to someone (or post on U-tube as a last resort) and I don't know how to do that. I don't want to do anything fancy. Just take a short (10 minute) section and copy it onto another media. What program do I need?

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

@grandmaR said:
    I'm having trouble looking through all the questions and answers here.

My dad took 16 mm movies and my sister has had them put on a disc (CD DVD or something like that). I want to take two sections out and put on a thumb drive to give to someone (or post on U-tube as a last resort) and I don't know how to do that. I don't want to do anything fancy. Just take a short (10 minute) section and copy it onto another media. What program do I need?

I strongly suggest that you take the disk to someone who does work in video editing to help you with this project. That might be a Wedding videographer, family member/friend/acquaintance, a church member (or some other local social group member), or many local high school/college students (check with local high schools and colleges) who already possess the equipment, software and knowledge for this project.

ziggy53

I live in a very rural area. I've asked around a little bit but haven't found anything. I'll look in the local community college catalogue

I've found someone who does DVDs from photos and slides etc, but I wonder --- Is there going to be a problem if I have a dvd made here in the USA with them being able to play it in the Netherlands? What media can I have it transferred to that will work both here and in Europe?

@grandmaR said:
    I've found someone who does DVDs from photos and slides etc, but I wonder --- Is there going to be a problem if I have a dvd made here in the USA with them being able to play it in the Netherlands? What media can I have it transferred to that will work both here and in Europe?

If the person you wish to see the edited video has Internet connection I suggest creating a YouTube account and post the edited video to the YouTube account. Have your editor follow YouTube guidelines for whatever format YouTube recommends for your source material. This approach should work with most of the world since YouTube has created a system which delivers fairly appropriate media conversion for the recipient, no matter where they reside. You can make the video available only to someone with the link, or you can even make the video password protected.

Alternately, you could use "Google+" to post the video if you both use that system.

ziggy53
    edited January 27, 2018

The problem is that I only know the location of the person and not their name. My dad took movies of Volendam in 1950- some children running around and playing in their wooden shoes. He also took photos of the cheese market in Alkmaar. I visited Volendam and Alkmaar in 2016. I went back to the cheese market and I had with me a copy of a Polaroid that my dad took
    ]
    I gave this print to the Cheese Father, but I think the museum there would also like the movies from 1950. That's not a problem because I think I can get in touch with them on line.

But I visited Volendam on the second day of the trip. I also had a Polaroid of the people there

I went to a photography shop there and showed the lady there the photo and she got the owner of the shop from in the back. The lady said that her current shop was in the photo my dad took. She said that she would have only been about 3 years old at the time so I'm thinking that she herself might be in the movie or some of her friends. I had another photo (which was a print from a slide) She said she knew the man in the photo (the other two people are my sister and me) but couldn't remember his name.

Unfortunately it did not occur to me to give her the photos (I had the originals and the digital copies), and I don't know her name or the name of her shop. I'm going back to Volendam in June. I think I could find the shop again, but it would be easier for me to give her a physical copy rather than something on U-tube.

With this new information you need to find someone who can create both an NTSC version and a PAL version. Give both versions on a flash drive and you are covered. (NTSC will be better quality from the original but PAL is the standard for the Netherlands.)
    I also recommend if you still have any original images, have them professionally copied and give them to the individual. Together, that would be a splendid gift. :)

ziggy53

Thank you very much. That was the information I needed.

Yes I think that it would be very nice. But I don't have the original 16 mm film - my sister has that and I don't know what she did with it and I don't know where the original slide is. I might be able to find the original slides and Polaroid, but I have enhanced (increased the contrast) on the Polaroid and I think my version is better than the originals.

OK I contacted someone local and he says he does not do PAL, but he can put the file on YouTube for me. If he put the file on a thumb drive in the current format would it be possible to play it on a computer in Europe?

edited January 27, 2018

@grandmaR said:
    OK I contacted someone local and he says he does not do PAL, but he can put the file on YouTube for me. If he put the file on a thumb drive in the current format would it be possible to play it on a computer in Europe?

Since the file will not be in PAL format, and you wish to play in a PAL equipment part of the world ...

See the potential problem?

Fortunately, computers are more forgiving than TVs, DVDs and VCRs. If they have a computer with the proper codecs installed, and if they have a video card capable of transcoding from whatever format you receive and give to them, and if their monitor supports the frame rate required, then yes. If it fails on any of these areas, then no.

In other words, far too many unknowns for anyone to answer your question knowingly and necessarily correctly. If you have the file converted to at least PAL frame rates (25fps) and sizes (720x576 resolution) then you have a much better chance of it working.

Repeating myself:

@ziggy53 said:
    ... PAL is the standard for the Netherlands.)

ziggy53

He's suggesting a MPEG2 file in addition to the YouTube file. I think the YouTube will work over there regardless

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2018

Yes, the great advantage to YouTube is that it is accessible anywhere on the planet that there is Internet. If you walked into the Dutch shop and handed them a piece of paper with the YouTube link on it, they could probably type that into their smartphone and watch it right then and there.

As for the copy they have for themselves, an MPEG2 file should work fine in Europe.

The distinction there is whether they are going to be given a data disc or a video disc. If they are given a data disc, like putting an MPEG file on a data DVD or CD that is formatted to be read on Windows or Mac, then the country does not matter. The problem comes in if they are given a video DVD that is intended to be read on a DVD player connected to a TV; now it matters whether it is NTSC or PAL. If you are confident that they have recent computers, you can just give them the MPEG file, and if they want to make a video disc out of it then can do that locally.

Thank you
    I am getting the file put on YouTube and also getting a thumb drive with the MPEG2 file on it. I may also send the thumb drive to someone who can put it into the PAL format - he's not local and I don't want to send him the original disk, but I think I can send the thumb drive (or copy the thumb drive and send the copy)