First protrait with a 50mm 1.4

bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
edited February 29, 2008 in People
I hadn't intended to do this series of Emma but she was at a party I was at and I couldn't resist her cute face. Would love to hear C&C on these 2 photos (the backdrop wasn't my choice - but loved the bokeh on the second one) - I haven't cropped or retouched either one yet - no time - that's for tomorrow

259653797_XrBxu-M.jpg

259654073_dudbb-M.jpg

Both shot with my D300, 50mm f1.4, the first at f/4.5 and the second at f/3.2, with flash, 1/60s

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    I also like the depth of field on the second one. However, I wonder - with the benefit of the 1.4 - could you use the natural light? I think it might look better than the flash.
  • bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    It's still habit for me to pick up the flash - honestly didn't think about it. Something to add to the list...
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    I own a 50f1.8, and yeah, if you liked the background on #2, try wide open! I also second the comment on flash-free photography, but be careful, these images wouldn't be nearly as nice without the catchlights in her eyes, I'd try metering for ambient light (Av mode probably), and having your flash exposure compensation bottomed out (-2 Ev or whatever it is on your camera), that way you get the lights in her eyes, and a little help with exposure, but still all that ambient light goodness. You'll also earn points by not blinding people as much!

:photo
    edited February 28, 2008
    Robin -

Thanks for the great advice. I will have to give it a try tomorrow.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Brian,

The biggest problem with these shots is that the color of the couch fooled the camera into making the image too cool. They're also flat and dark.

This is very quick and dirty, but gives you the idea:

20080229-qixdpk2xxx6k5pfi228h5ef6me.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited February 29, 2008
    Dave -

You are so right. I had planned to get to them tonight in PS but I had a soccer game and then we had to celebrate so it gets put off until tomorrow. I love the way you warmed up - it gives me something to shoot for.

Thanks