"Anticipation" - First post here

BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited March 14, 2008 in Holy Macro
I joined this forum a little while ago but haven't really posted yet. I took this photograph of a cherry blossom a few days ago, and would love to hear some feedback (constructive criticism is certainly welcome). Personally, I think it's one of my best macro shots yet -- due to the theme I had in mind while shooting (hope/anticipation) and the result, but obviously I'm a little biased. ;)

Anticipation

2286818767_b278d7198b.jpg

To see it larger, click here (it's a bit too large for the thread, so I'll keep the large size in the link).

Technical information: Nikon D80, Nikon 60mm f/2.8 Micro, hand-held, overcast day (almost rained on me). 1/400, f/5.6, ISO 800

Thanks for your comments!

Comments

• Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    i really like the soft tender feel and composition in this photo! clap.gif

i think the title suits it well. nitpick: somehow my eye is drawn to the top edge of the flower. there is a blurry band that grabs my attention and makes it a bit unsharp looking. maybe fixable? headscratch.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif the softness works really wel in this shot. Nice one, and thanks for sharing thumb.gif
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Lovely shot.
    Think my C&C would involve the oof elements esp on the RHS which looks as if it is in front of the flower- it's a bit distracting, as mentioned above looks like a bit of double imaging on top of the bud ?
    I'm always being caught out by OOF parts appearing in front of the subject- they just don't often show up well in the viewfinder.
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Biarien wrote:
    I joined this forum a little while ago but haven't really posted yet. I took this photograph of a cherry blossom a few days ago, and would love to hear some feedback (constructive criticism is certainly welcome). Personally, I think it's one of my best macro shots yet -- due to the theme I had in mind while shooting (hope/anticipation) and the result, but obviously I'm a little biased. ;)

Anticipation

To see it larger, click here (it's a bit too large for the thread, so I'll keep the large size in the link).

Technical information: Nikon D80, Nikon 60mm f/2.8 Micro, hand-held, overcast day (almost rained on me). 1/400, f/5.6, ISO 800

Thanks for your comments!

Welcome to the Dgrin Forum Biarein. clap.gif

Now that is a pretty little Blossom, the colour is just gorgeous.

I see the double imaging on this shot too, and I see Brian has already commented in a reply to you.

Cherry Blossom is such a pretty Blossom both open and closed.

I'm sure we will see you posting more in the up and coming days,
    we enjoy all contributions here thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    nitpick: somehow my eye is drawn to the top edge of the flower. there is a blurry band that grabs my attention and makes it a bit unsharp looking. maybe fixable? headscratch.gif

Thanks -- I appreciate the 'nitpick'. It's hard to improve without contstructive feedback. :D

I'm not sure what that blurry band is, but it's appeared on some of my other flower macros before:

http://flickr.com/photos/mcmlxxxvi/442402522/ (bottom-left petals)
    http://flickr.com/photos/mcmlxxxvi/421295526/ (maybe this is another issue)

I believe my shutter speed was quite sufficient (1/400 on a 60mm macro lens), but perhaps not due to how close I was..?

Any ideas?
    edited March 4, 2008
    Lovely shot.
    Think my C&C would involve the oof elements esp on the RHS which looks as if it is in front of the flower- it's a bit distracting, as mentioned above looks like a bit of double imaging on top of the bud ?
    I'm always being caught out by OOF parts appearing in front of the subject- they just don't often show up well in the viewfinder.
    Brian V.

Thanks Brian. I don't think there was anything in between me and the flower -- perhaps it's just an illusion from the blurring effect that's going on? But I certainly will keep this advice in mind!

I'd still love to hear some thoughts from the more experienced macro photographers on what might be causing that double imaging... And any other comments would certainly be appreciated.

--Brendan
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Biarien wrote:
    I'm not sure what that blurry band is, but it's appeared on some of my other flower macros before:

Any ideas?

eheheh i'm shooting 30 yr old reverse lens macro so that is a bit over my head rolleyes1.gif

it really looks like slow shutter speed flash but that isn't the case here.. headscratch.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    I think it is a lovely abstract macro. Wonderful gentleness in the colors, focus, and tones. clap.gif
    edited March 10, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Cherry Blossom is such a pretty Blossom both open and closed.

I'm sure we will see you posting more in the up and coming days,
    we enjoy all contributions here thumb.gif ... Skippy :D

I was actually informed that this is an ornamental plum blossom, not a cherry blossom. Oops!

Thanks for the comments. I do plan to post more in the future. :D

--Brendan
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Biarien wrote:
    I was actually informed that this is an ornamental plum blossom, not a cherry blossom. Oops!

Thanks for the comments. I do plan to post more in the future. :D

--Brendan

I can only reiterate what everyone has said. A beutiful shot,
    Cheers
    Bob
    edited March 14, 2008
    Swintonphoto and Bob, thanks for the comments.

I suppose I will have to figure out what's going on with the blurry edges thing somewhere else.