Quick portraiture in Baltimore City

DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
edited March 4, 2008 in People
I ran out with a co-worker for lunch and stopped by the alley way that I've been passing by each time I have to make the 6 block trek to UPS. He was a more than willing subject and is quite photogenic, but I think that the shoot would have been much better if it wasn't so damn cold and windy today and if we had more time(we both had other place to be during our lunch)

C&C welcome.

259962582_DwbQy-L.jpg259963835_3SERo-L.jpg
Modus Imagery
Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876

Comments

• Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    the second one is great joe!! thumb.gifthumb
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Thanks!

I plan on shooting more with him when it warms up. I like that he's so willing. I'll have to bring him into the studio and do some creative lighting and such much like I did with myself in my recent self portrait set.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    NICE! Well done .... and the "flash-work" excellent! So crisp! iloveyou.gif

I would maybe just darken his ear a bit in the 2nd one, but man ... nice shots!
    edited February 28, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    NICE! Well done .... and the "flash-work" excellent! So crisp! iloveyou.gif

I would maybe just darken his ear a bit in the 2nd one, but man ... nice shots!

What flash work? lol I didn't use any flash for this set. O.o

but thank you kindly. :)
    Modus Imagery
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Awesome set, love the feel. The profile in #2 is striking, what a great DOF and lighting. thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    I like the second one too! I like how his face is positioned to be looking at the white light in the background!thumb.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    No flash?? Wow ... good light!
    Wish my ally (that looks just like yours) would be as bright! headscratch.gif
    edited February 29, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    No flash?? Wow ... good light!
    Wish my ally (that looks just like yours) would be as bright! headscratch.gif

Well the key was that the sun was behind us, and I'm standing just in the sunlight, the light's hitting the wall to the left just out of frame so I was using the wall as a gobo and the sun as a REALLY big hot light. :P

But thank you! :)
    Modus Imagery
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    I like the both Joe...but #2 is def a great shot!!thumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Donna RyanDonna Ryan Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Great shots - what lens did you use?
    Both are great - beautiful light, clarity and comp! 2 has even more potential. I would crop a little headroom to make it take up only 1/3 of the height and subject 2/3. I would also MAYBE lose a little of the wall he is leaning on to bring the subject more into that third and give more an impression he is leaning on the wall.

This is just a first impression opinion.

Can you please give me the technical specs on the shot - lens, focal length and aperture in particular. I love the overall look.
    edited March 1, 2008
    Donna Ryan wrote:
    Both are great - beautiful light, clarity and comp! 2 has even more potential. I would crop a little headroom to make it take up only 1/3 of the height and subject 2/3. I would also MAYBE lose a little of the wall he is leaning on to bring the subject more into that third and give more an impression he is leaning on the wall.

This is just a first impression opinion.

Can you please give me the technical specs on the shot - lens, focal length and aperture in particular. I love the overall look.

Hey thanks bunches for the info!!

#1 was 100mm@f/4 ISO400

#2 was 84mm@f/4 ISO400

Shot with a 5D with 24-105mm f/4L IS USM no flash just used bounced sunlight from the wall just off to the left of the frame.
    Modus Imagery
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Good Evening,
    I like the 2nd shot quite a bit. Hope you don't mind that I cleaned it up a tad, and darkened his ear just a bit. Very nice portraits thumb.gif
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...

Mod edit: Attachment removed because of OP's objection.
    edited March 3, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Evening,
    I like the 2nd shot quite a bit. Hope you don't mind that I cleaned it up a tad, and darkened his ear just a bit. Very nice portraits thumb.gif
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...

I'm going to be as nice as I can about this, but what the hell are you thinking downloading my images and editing them without my expressed permission let alone invitaion? For future reference, "comments and critique" does not mean "please edit my photos how you see fit" A comment would have been more than enough. You should at the very least ask permission to do so if you have a point or technique that you feel you can only portray by example.
    Modus Imagery
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 4, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    I'm going to be as nice as I can about this, but what the hell are you thinking downloading my images and editing them without my expressed permission let alone invitaion? For future reference, "comments and critique" does not mean "please edit my photos how you see fit" A comment would have been more than enough. You should at the very least ask permission to do so if you have a point or technique that you feel you can only portray by example.

Joe,

I don't think Jim meant any harm here. It is common on Dgrin for people to submit reworked versions of shots. Usually, people welcome the effort and can profit from a different perspective. On the other hand, you are certainly within your rights to object, so I have removed the edited version. We don't have an explicit rule on the matter. To avoid future misunderstandings, I might suggest that you add a statement to your signature like "Please do not edit my pics." I'm sure everyone will respect that.

Regards,
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Hi Joe,

I like that first image quite a bit thumb.gif It has a feel as if it is an add for something (I'm not sure for what though lol3.gif)
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Yeah! That second one is just great :)
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
    edited March 4, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:

Good Morning,
    Judging by your attitude, you must also be a member of FM. First of all Ansel, I did comment on your picture. Secondly, I was following up on what a lot of other posters were saying about the ear, being over exposed, and unless you specificly state "Do Not edit My Photos" I will continue to do so. It's quite obvious you feel there is no need to do anything with your photos since (in your mind) they must be perfect. People join forums like this not just to show off what they can do with a camera, but also find out how to improve their pictures; better composition, lighting, pp, etc. It's a community 'house' where individuals from all over the world come to find help as well, making them a better photographer in the long run. As for c & c, "if you can't take the heat, then stay out of the kitchen"
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
    edited March 4, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Morning,
    Judging by your attitude, you must also be a member of FM. First of all Ansel, I did comment on your picture. Secondly, I was following up on what a lot of other posters were saying about the ear, being over exposed, and unless you specificly state "Do Not edit My Photos" I will continue to do so. It's quite obvious you feel there is no need to do anything with your photos since (in your mind) they must be perfect. People join forums like this not just to show off what they can do with a camera, but also find out how to improve their pictures; better composition, lighting, pp, etc. It's a community 'house' where individuals from all over the world come to find help as well, making them a better photographer in the long run. As for c & c, "if you can't take the heat, then stay out of the kitchen"
    Jim...

Hey Jim,

You definitely have me all wrong. I know the photo needed editing, and I take the criticism rather well I'd think. Just because I don't edit and repost the image doesn't mean you all aren't right about what needs to be done.

I'd also appreciate that if you're going to address me you do so without snide remarks or name calling.

"Do not edit my photos" should be your default assumption, and you should ASK should you wish to edit someone elses photos, if not a matter of respect of the art, at least consideration and displaying a good example to others. You were in the wrong by editing my photo without my permission. Outside of that, you then insult me by calling me names and apparently stuffing me into a stereo type of another forum.

I never said there was nothing wrong with the photos nor did I disagree with anyone's criticism, all I usually say is thank you for your kind words. This particular set were not for production, so I saw no reason to go back and do what needed to be done. This doesn't give you open season to take that upon yourself. Obviously, if you download my photo and edit for your own edification or practice, I'll never know about it and that's fine if it's for your own education/practice/to make you feel better, whatever... The point is you post your edit back as if you're doing me a favor that you "cleaned up" my photo for me as if I, or anyone else here, are incapable of doing so.

I do apologize for my gruffness with you last night. I was angry, as well anyone else might be(I did consult with a few other photographers about the issue subsequently and the general consensus was that it was not cool to edit) You'll have to understand that this is my work and my livelihood and I have to protect it as much as possible. I'm trying to build a business to live on, this isn't my hobby. I don't say that to detract from any of the serious hobbyists or business people here. There are some really really fantastic photographers who claim to just be hobbyists and it's actually kind of ironic and sad because it's the hobbyists--the ones who tend not to take themselves too seriously, that are better photographers than many of the professionals. But you do have me all wrong. I am quite humble about the criticism and I do thank people for their kind words.

Keep the name calling and stereotyping to yourself please.
    Modus Imagery
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 4, 2008
    OK, guys. Time to chill out here. This is not a matter worth getting angry about. Let's get on with photography, OK?
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    These are very nice. The colors are so amazing. clap.gif
    edited March 4, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    Hey Jim,

You definitely have me all wrong. I know the photo needed editing, and I take the criticism rather well I'd think. Just because I don't edit and repost the image doesn't mean you all aren't right about what needs to be done.
    1) Granted thumb.gif
    I'd also appreciate that if you're going to address me you do so without snide remarks or name calling.

2) Ansel is not name calling. Gomer is rolleyes1.gif

"Do not edit my photos" should be your default assumption, and you should ASK should you wish to edit someone elses photos, if not a matter of respect of the art, at least consideration and displaying a good example to others. You were in the wrong by editing my photo without my permission. Outside of that, you then insult me by calling me names and apparently stuffing me into a stereo type of another forum.

3) Assumption originates from assume. I never assume anything for obvious reasons. I did take the liberty and state " I hope you don't mind". As for name calling, please refer back to #2 :D

I never said there was nothing wrong with the photos nor did I disagree with anyone's criticism, all I usually say is thank you for your kind words. This particular set were not for production, so I saw no reason to go back and do what needed to be done. This doesn't give you open season to take that upon yourself. Obviously, if you download my photo and edit for your own edification or practice, I'll never know about it and that's fine if it's for your own education/practice/to make you feel better, whatever... The point is you post your edit back as if you're doing me a favor that you "cleaned up" my photo for me as if I, or anyone else here, are incapable of doing so.

4) People can find anything wrong with a picture no matter what the actual artist believes. People can make comments on how to improve their images. If I download someone's image, edit, and keep it to myself, then that doesn't really help the artist now does it ? To me, and maybe I'm wrong, but we all do favors by helping someone, whether they know it or not.

I do apologize for my gruffness with you last night. I was angry, as well anyone else might be(I did consult with a few other photographers about the issue subsequently and the general consensus was that it was not cool to edit) You'll have to understand that this is my work and my livelihood and I have to protect it as much as possible. I'm trying to build a business to live on, this isn't my hobby. I don't say that to detract from any of the serious hobbyists or business people here. There are some really really fantastic photographers who claim to just be hobbyists and it's actually kind of ironic and sad because it's the hobbyists--the ones who tend not to take themselves too seriously, that are better photographers than many of the professionals. But you do have me all wrong. I am quite humble about the criticism and I do thank people for their kind words.

5) No apology needed thumb.gif If this is your work and livelyhood, then I would think that you would want c & c in any way, shape or form, including edited pictures ( I know I would, especially if this is my bread & butter) It's not the people on this forum or any other one for that matter, that you want to impress. It's your clients. And if anyone on a forum can spot needed improvement, your clients can too.

Keep the name calling and stereotyping to yourself please.

6) Refer back to #2 please mwink.gif

As for myself, I am an amature, a hobbyist, if you will. However, I have been shooting since 1982. I still use my old Canon AE-1 every once in a while :D
    I work on a very large project in PG County (The National Harbor Site)
    Have been there for about 2 years and taken approximately 6000 pictures.
    One of the largest contractors in the US was impressed with my courtesy progress pictures, that they fired their paid, professional photographer, and hired me. Why ? Because my images were well detailed, sharp and focused on what they wanted to see (this is what they told me) A 2nd contractor will be using my services starting in April. If you're waiting for a point, here it is thumb.gif I started with FM a few yrs ago. Reading different articles, looking at different examples and comparing my pictures. I noticed a few areas in my work that definitely needed help. I was amazed at how many people said to do this or that, use my image and edit, to show me. THAT was a big help. I might spend 1/2 an hour or longer on one image if I think it has potential for a client. I don't look for clients, I give sample photos and get results. I owe a great deal of that to FM (early on) and a GREATER deal to Dgrin wings.gif

Jim...
    edited March 4, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    6) Refer back to #2 please mwink.gif

As for myself, I am an amature, a hobbyist, if you will. However, I have been shooting since 1982. I still use my old Canon AE-1 every once in a while :D
    I work on a very large project in PG County (The National Harbor Site)
    Have been there for about 2 years and taken approximately 6000 pictures.
    One of the largest contractors in the US was impressed with my courtesy progress pictures, that they fired their paid, professional photographer, and hired me. Why ? Because my images were well detailed, sharp and focused on what they wanted to see (this is what they told me) A 2nd contractor will be using my services starting in April. If you're waiting for a point, here it is thumb.gif I started with FM a few yrs ago. Reading different articles, looking at different examples and comparing my pictures. I noticed a few areas in my work that definitely needed help. I was amazed at how many people said to do this or that, use my image and edit, to show me. THAT was a big help. I might spend 1/2 an hour or longer on one image if I think it has potential for a client. I don't look for clients, I give sample photos and get results. I owe a great deal of that to FM (early on) and a GREATER deal to Dgrin wings.gif

Jim...

Cool cool. thumb.gifup Thank you kindly for your perspective.

Kind Regards,

Joe
    Modus Imagery
    edited March 4, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    Cool cool. thumb.gifup Thank you kindly for your perspective.

Kind Regards,

Joe

Okie Dokie thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    FWIW.....I agree the ear is a bit bright. I also agree that it is rude to DL and rework images without asking first.

Nice job with the photos!!thumb.gif