24-70L EXIF Data Error & What would you do?

crmitchecrmitche Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited February 29, 2008 in Cameras
I'm borrowing a 24-70L that I'm thinking about buying. I did a little impromptu shootout with it, the Tamron 28-75 and the Canon 17-85IS. I can definitely see the difference between the three even under incandescent light shooting cereal boxes, wine bottles and other highly detailed stuff. My concern is when the L is at 24mm the EXIF data records 70mm and my flash zooms out. It seems to only do this when its against the "stop". Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to fix it? An how much did it cost you to fix it?

If it is a fixable error and I decide to keep it the boss (read wife) will probably insist I find a new home for one of the others to subsidize the cost. Which would you keep?

Cheers
Craig
http://craigm.smugmug.com/

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do." Walt Disney

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 29, 2008
    crmitche wrote:
    I'm borrowing a 24-70L that I'm thinking about buying. I did a little impromptu shootout with it, the Tamron 28-75 and the Canon 17-85IS. I can definitely see the difference between the three even under incandescent light shooting cereal boxes, wine bottles and other highly detailed stuff. My concern is when the L is at 24mm the EXIF data records 70mm and my flash zooms out. It seems to only do this when its against the "stop". Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to fix it? An how much did it cost you to fix it?

If it is a fixable error and I decide to keep it the boss (read wife) will probably insist I find a new home for one of the others to subsidize the cost. Which would you keep?

Cheers
    Craig

I'm so glad you did your testing before purchase. That was very prudent. thumb.gif

I haven't heard of this behavior before, but I am sure it is correctable. The problem might be the cost. It would be far better if the person you are buying from would do the repair prior to sale, otherwise it is just a guess as to the fault and the correction, and a guess about cost of repair. The repair facility might find more wrong once they start working on the lens. Buying a product with a known fault but unknown resolution would have to affect the value, to me, of the product.

As to which lens to sell, the Tamron 28-75mm, f2.8 is the one you would least miss since the Canon 24-70mm, f2.8L is a match for the range. If you are making money with the lenses, then I would resist selling anything because that range is pretty important and redundancy is also important in a world where stuff breaks.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Yeah, what he said +++1
  • JGDJGD Registered Users Posts: 315 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    is this a seriuos question?
    Don't buy a lens that doesn't work!
    Jim Green Canon 5D: Proceed W/Caution, I tend to get carried Away:dunno
    http://jgdesigns.smugmug.com/