Options

My threads showing up on Google

RubyRedRubyRed Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited March 16, 2008 in Dgrin Forum Support
If I google my name the threads that I have posted to are showing up for all to read on Google. Is there a way to prevent this? I do not want clients googling my business name and being shown the forums.

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    RubyRed wrote:
    If I google my name the threads that I have posted to are showing up for all to read on Google. Is there a way to prevent this? I do not want clients googling my business name and being shown the forums.
    In principal, everything you do on the internet is 'findable' unless measures are taken. The dgrin forum can not be excluded from google indexing, so the only thing you can do is to not use your business name, I'm sorry.

PS, just wondering and not trying to convince you otherwise, but why is it a bad thing that people can find you here?
  • Options
    maegandoughertymaegandougherty Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Changing username?
    I also have this problem. When I Google myself, I don't want to see posts I wrote over a year ago. I shouldn't have put my full name as my username. Is it possible to change my username or do I need to first delete my old entries (if that's possible) so they don't show up in Google and then create a new username? Thanks!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited March 8, 2008
    I also have this problem. When I Google myself, I don't want to see posts I wrote over a year ago. I shouldn't have put my full name as my username. Is it possible to change my username or do I need to first delete my old entries (if that's possible) so they don't show up in Google and then create a new username? Thanks!

We can change your user name if you like, but I doubt that this will affect old posts. Those have already been indexed by Google as they were at the time. Send me a PM if you want to change your screen name and I'll take care of it.

Regards,
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited March 8, 2008
    If you google your name - maegan dougherty - you will see your smugmug site and not your google posts. Your dgrin posts show up when you search for maegandoughery, but I would be surprised if potential customers will look for you using your name like that (as in without the space between your first and last name).

The thing I care about for my own web presence is that if someone is looking for me and searches for my name - denise goldberg, not denisegoldberg - that they will find my galleries and my blog and... Yes, if they search for denisegoldberg my forum postings will crop up, but I honestly don't believe that someone searching is going to leave the spaces between first and last name out of the name that they search for. And it's not an issue for me if they happen to find my forum posts... all that says is that I am an active forum participant.

Obviously it's your choice though.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    I shouldn't have put my full name as my username.

You don't :) You can call yourself anything you like on Dgrin thumb.gif
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    I tried to find you using Google, if people misspell your name they won't find you, like I initially did. But like was said before as long as they put a space they won't find the dgrin posts more than likely. Also if they don't put a space the first result is your site and they will more than likely just choose that and not look at the other links.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me