Sun showers near Mt. St. Helens

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited February 29, 2008 in Landscapes
I went up to Mt. St. Helens last Sunday to photograph Roosevelt Elk. I didn't see any up close until it was too dark (I did see a herd of 50+ about 2-3,000 feet below in a valley Planet Earth style, but even with a 400mm lens and 1.4x converter, they were tiny).

All was not lost photographically, as I was treated to a fantastic sunset:

259015723_MUhfp-L.jpg

Here's an amusing shot of the mountain itself prior to sunset (with an auspiciously placed cloud, considering the mountain's recent history):

259013070_93C3h-L.jpg

Mt. Rainier National Park gets all the publicity (for good reason), but St. Helens has its charms as well, I'll be visiting both several more times this year.

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Beautiful views! Looks like your hike was well worth it!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Beautiful views! Looks like your hike was well worth it!
    Thanks! Both of these shots were taken within a few hundred feet of the road, so there wasn't much (any?) hiking (a member of our party wasn't adequately prepared for the snow, so we didn't venture too far away from the car). Once the weather is better and more of the roads are open, I'll probably hike around there, there's some lakes and waterfalls and other stuff that I imagine is only accessible by hiking.
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Wonderful sunset capture!

I'll be out that way in May, but I had to cut St Helens from my itinerary due to lack of time. Gives me an excuse to come back. :)