Weekly Assignment #69: Midterm Challenge

13»

Comments

• Options
    bgaras2001bgaras2001 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Hindsight
    2316127873_264877be26.jpg?v=0

Camera:Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTiExposure:0.003 sec (1/320)Aperture:f/9Focal Length:18 mmISO Speed:100Exposure Bias:0/3 EVFlash:Flash did not fire
    Orientation:Horizontal (normal)X-Resolution:72 dpiY-Resolution:72 dpiSoftware:Adobe Photoshop CS3 WindowsDate and Time:2008:03:02 14:35:33YCbCr Positioning:Co-SitedExposure Program:ManualDate and Time (Original):2008:03:02 14:19:53Date and Time (Digitized):2008:03:02 14:19:53Shutter Speed:545386/65536Metering Mode:PatternColor Space:sRGBFocal Plane X-Resolution:4433.295 dpiFocal Plane Y-Resolution:4453.608 dpiExposure Mode:1White Balance:1Compression:JPEGImage Width:597 pixelsImage Height:800 pixels
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Behind The Shadows
    Thank you for the entry!

I can clearly see the "case in point" - the word "wisdom" is written on the wall, it's a library, etc.
    Nice low light goes well the stone carvings.
    Cool tree shadow in the middle ("tree of wisdom"?;-)

Now, it's an architectural shot taken with a very wide angle lens (9.9mm according to your EXIF), which makes it extremely prone to a skewing/tilting and keystoning. Unfortunately, the whole family of them is present in this image, and I don't think it was intentional.
    The tree shadow I mentioned above was nice. However, that of a street light is not, and it distracts greatly. Bad timing, I guess..
    There is a shadow of something in the very bottom left corner. It breaks up otherwise pristine corner line and make the whole image looks snapshotty.
    The glass door section, while adding the word "library", does not itself add to the concept. It's also very sharp and very contrasty, thus creating a huge attraction for the viewer. After this a tender, delicate stone stela looks pale, I had to make a mental effort to read the scripture..

Next time:
    concentrate on the stone wall itself,
    crop out the glass,
    pick up time when no extra shadows can crawl into your frame,
    keep your camera leveled (tripod and dual axis level)

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    bgaras2001 wrote:
    Hindsight
    Another LPS heavy-weight! iloveyou.gif This is getting very interesting! clap.gif

Interesting take!
    The theme is delivered in a gentle, subtle way. Stretchy, but it's there..
    Great composition!
    Nice "signature" treatment in the skies.
    Nice set of side lights.
    Very engaged model, I like the "look".
    Good low angle.
    Solid, perspective background with several VP-identifying lines.

Now, something makes me think it's a compostie, as in a person was shot in a studio and then pasted into the background. I don't have anything against the composites but there are some tell-tell signs that I wish were better hidden.
    And it's probably flickr, but image only renders 500 pixels tall.

ALl in all - great work, as always!thumb.gif
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    That Little Voice Inside My Head
    (Posted in the people forum, too, to keep the clutter here minimal. :D)

263072179_afjq7-L.jpg

EXIF
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Lines of thought

263220814_M7onv-O.jpg

Click image for EXIF
  • Options
    RoguePhotographerRoguePhotographer Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 8, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you for the entry!

I can clearly see the "case in point" - the word "wisdom" is written on the wall, it's a library, etc.
    Nice low light goes well the stone carvings.
    Cool tree shadow in the middle ("tree of wisdom"?;-)

Now, it's an architectural shot taken with a very wide angle lens (9.9mm according to your EXIF), which makes it extremely prone to a skewing/tilting and keystoning. Unfortunately, the whole family of them is present in this image, and I don't think it was intentional.
    The tree shadow I mentioned above was nice. However, that of a street light is not, and it distracts greatly. Bad timing, I guess..
    There is a shadow of something in the very bottom left corner. It breaks up otherwise pristine corner line and make the whole image looks snapshotty.
    The glass door section, while adding the word "library", does not itself add to the concept. It's also very sharp and very contrasty, thus creating a huge attraction for the viewer. After this a tender, delicate stone stela looks pale, I had to make a mental effort to read the scripture..

Next time:
    concentrate on the stone wall itself,
    crop out the glass,
    pick up time when no extra shadows can crawl into your frame,
    keep your camera leveled (tripod and dual axis level)

HTH
    Thank you Nikolai for the critique. As you probably know this was my first entry and am thankful for the feedback. This will help me be a better photographer as I really do enjoy taking pictures. I do have a LOT to learn though and some day I'll even get a REAL camera, instead of the point-and-shoot one I'm now using.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    (Posted in the people forum, too, to keep the clutter here minimal. :D)

Hi Kerry, thank you for joining us!
    Nice composite, seamless PS work.
    You're definitely good with BW!
    Interesting combination of higkey lighting on faces and bg with a deep balck of the clothing/folds. That's pretty hard to pull out withought leaving an impression of "blown highliights", yet you did it nicely!
    "Speak no evil, see no evil", right? I wonder what happened with "hear no evil" then ;-)

Now, for some reason I feel like the large black bottom is dragging the image down and doesn't contribute much to the image. Same about some extra empty space on the left.
    And with my well-known lack of imagination, I don't think this image screams "wisdom" the way I'd like it to...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    sherstone wrote:
    Lines of thought
    Click image for EXIF

Sean, pleasure to see you here!

Great idea, I'm a big fan of japanese culture and stone gardens always fascinated me. Zen. Wisdom. The theme is here!
    Great BW treatment empasizes the grainy structure of sand oand stone. Added noise also plays very nice in this case.
    Sand lines create exquisite pattern for the eye to follow, with the stones adding the resting points.
    Cute title, too:-)

I don't feel like adding, removing or changing anything in this image. thumb.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    Congratulations to Sherstone! wings.gif

Sean, the promised bragging rights are rightfully yours! clap.gif
    So is the duty of selecting the subject for our next, regular non-challenge style WA mwink.gif

And thank you everybody for submitting your entries and thus making this little competition possible. I hope you use this opportunity to get to the enxt level - whatever that level may be! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Hi Kerry, thank you for joining us!
    Nice composite, seamless PS work.
    You're definitely good with BW!
    Interesting combination of higkey lighting on faces and bg with a deep balck of the clothing/folds. That's pretty hard to pull out withought leaving an impression of "blown highliights", yet you did it nicely!
    "Speak no evil, see no evil", right? I wonder what happened with "hear no evil" then ;-)

Now, for some reason I feel like the large black bottom is dragging the image down and doesn't contribute much to the image. Same about some extra empty space on the left.
    And with my well-known lack of imagination, I don't think this image screams "wisdom" the way I'd like it to...ne_nau.gif

Thank you, Nikolai! I really appreciate the feedback. iloveyou.gif

Now that you mention it, I do see the potential for a tighter crop. Didn't occur to me before, but I love the suggestion. I'll have to give it a go. thumb.gif

Once you meet me in person, you may understand how very wise it is for me not to speak every little thought that occurs to me. mwink.gif
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Congrats Sherstone! Let's hear the braggin...

Thanks Nikolai for the interim contest.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    braggin?

OMG - I am stunned and in awe. there were so many other awesome entries!

Thank you Nikolai for giving us a playing ground and keeping our minds stimulated. I had a lot of fun thinking this one up.
    I was not sure how much meaning anyone would get from the lines but for me there are thousands of years of wisdom encapsulated within them.

Thank you to everyone that played, it makes the experience of learning all the more fun!

When do I need to have my choice for the next theme? I have a few ideas already but maybe I should think a bit more? I'll sit in the garden and meditate on it ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    sherstone wrote:
    braggin?

OMG - I am stunned and in awe. there were so many other awesome entries!

Thank you Nikolai for giving us a playing ground and keeping our minds stimulated. I had a lot of fun thinking this one up.
    I was not sure how much meaning anyone would get from the lines but for me there is thousands of years of wisdom encapsulated within them.

Thanks you to everyone that played, it makes the experience of learning all the more fun!

When do I need to have my choice for the next theme? I have a few ideas already but maybe I should think a bit more? I'll sit in the garden and meditate on it ;-)

Congrats again!

By Wednesday would be great!

In the mean time everybody who's first name is not Antonio:-) can try to catch up on the old ones (no rush, I do not recommend doing more than one theme per day)
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Congrats again!

By Wednesday would be great!

In the mean time everybody who's first name is not Antonio:-) can try to catch up on the old ones (no rush, I do not recommend doing more than one theme per day)
    How about now?

I meditated enough mwink.gif

the new theme is...
    Concentric
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    sherstone wrote:
    How about now?

I meditated enough mwink.gif

the new theme is... Concentric
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=87154
    Great theme and great timing!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    Congrats, sherstone! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Congratulations Sean! Love your photo!

I really wanted to enter this challenge. All week and I thought about it, but just couldn't pull it off. My hats off to all you who entered - I'm jealous - I didn't have an entry! I did go out shooting yesterday, but no wisdom in what I shot (probably literally and figuratively! mwink.gif )
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    JayMitchJayMitch Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    Congrats!
    Congratulations, Sherstone, and thanks for the new challenge! clap.gif

And thanks to Nikolai for the feedback. It's great you are so generous with your time and thoughts.

--Jay
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2008
    This has been a fun thread to watch unfold. Thanks, participants and Nikolai! Nik, you rock!
    Nikolai wrote:
    In the mean time everybody who's first name is not Antonio:-)

That made me laugh! Out loud! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I don't know how Antonio does it. He's so prolific, I'm jealous! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    Felicia wrote:
    This has been a fun thread to watch unfold. Thanks, participants and Nikolai! Nik, you rock!

That made me laugh! Out loud! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I don't know how Antonio does it. He's so prolific, I'm jealous! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thank you! I'm glad you had a few laughs! thumb.gifmwink.gifiloveyou.gif