Amargosa River

wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited March 1, 2008 in Landscapes
502-8x10-7212.jpg
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    I really like this shot! I first see the flowers.. then follow the trail of the river crossing trough the frame, then end up at the mountains in the distance :) like it!
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:
    I really like this shot! I first see the flowers.. then follow the trail of the river crossing trough the frame, then end up at the mountains in the distance :) like it!

Thank you. I wanted to be the first on my block to get shots of the first of the desert wildflowers this year. Just south of Death Valley, this was the first shot of a goreous three days in and around the park.
    Anybody can do it.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    That's awesome. Though... I personally would have tipped the camera just a bit so you get more sky.

But still a cool photo. I was in Death Valley in October and drove across that river (no water in it though) and there sure weren't flowers then!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    I really like the warm colors in this photo, good original composition too! Nice work. I'm anxiously awaiting wildflower season up here in the Pacific Northwest, still have 3 months or so :D
  • sg_is_mesg_is_me Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    I really know nothing, and am just learning, but I think I disagree with Dogwood about tilting the camera. I LOVE this picture, and it's composition (the swirling line of the stream especially). I think that by shooting only a small bit of sky, you made the shot "about" the flowers - and the light on them really makes them pop. The balance of gold at bottom and that strip of gold at the top third gives it great balance.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Thanks for the comments. I'm hoping things will break loose wildflower-wise in the area soon. Just staying too cold.

I shot this with a crop to an 8x10 ratio print in mind. But I'm not going to do that any more. I think the shot came out pretty good, but the uncropped has some dead space and this is just a tiny bit too compact. If I shot it the way I usually would have I think it would have been much better. So much for working for standard print sizes.
    Anybody can do it.