Best time to get a canon 5d?

BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
edited March 4, 2008 in Cameras
I posted another thread about if canon will be replacing their 5d? and it is all kind of mixed if they will or not...

My question is I have not been into the photog world long enough to notice if there are any trends when a company might offer rebates or lower prices of something, if at all...

I want a canon 5d, but I can wait until it is cheaper if that is with in the next year, so I thought I would ask and see there is a better time to purchase then next month...Thanks to anyone who can help me out with this...
Brandon Perron Photography
www.brandonperron.com

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    The 5D should definitely get updated to a 5DmrkII or something like that whithin a year. At that point the market should have some good deals on used 5D's. If you are looking for the best price than wait, if you need a camera now buy one now. Decision is yours.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Well how much is it worth you to wait and wait and wait to save a few bucks when you could be out shooting???

Cameras really don't go on sales and I've yet to see a rebate on a pro level body.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    It may be released at Photokina, (August IIRC) of this year.
    As far as I know there is no other Canon camera due for replacement, so if they didn't release the update to the 5D, I'm not sure they would have any body to release.

I've noticed that prices tend to fall a bit just before it's replaced, but not that much more after the replacement is released. Perhaps it's b/c sellers are trying to clear out the inventory before the new model comes in or something.

Just my guess.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Welcome to the 5D camp
    I believe that there is not a matter of right or wrong time to buy something you like or really want.
    Just to keep yourself happy, get it as soon as you can then enjoy every moment you own it.
    If you are waiting for its replacement to arrive then hope the price will drop, you may start comparing the replacement body and not satisfy with the older 5D. It may make you wait for the new 5D replacement's replacement again for another few years.
    Life is just too short to wait, please enjoy every moment you live in the world.iloveyou.gif
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    The better question is: will the current 5D fulfill your needs? If so just buy it and start shooting. Nobody has a clue if/when Canon might announce a replacement (and those who do are not going to say--and probably don't spend any time on the fora anyway).
  • debairedebaire Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2008
    I contemplated this exact thing but decided to go ahead and get it now. Really, the few bucks you'll save later doesn't equal the time with the camera now. I actually got the kit with the 5D and 24-105mm L lens. Bought separately, it would've been around $3100 but the kit was $2749 and it was only about $500 more than a 40D plus 24-105mm L lens so...
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    debaire wrote:
    it was only about $500 more

ONLY! rolleyes1.gifD
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    ONLY! rolleyes1.gifD

My thoughts exactly...
    www.brandonperron.com
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Well how much is it worth you to wait and wait and wait to save a few bucks when you could be out shooting???

Cameras really don't go on sales and I've yet to see a rebate on a pro level body.

I got a $500 rebate on my 5D from canon when I bought it in 2006.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    jogle wrote:

So is the 5D currently selling for less then what you paid for it plus the $500??

Again I've yet to see or hear about any rebates from any makers on pro body SLRs.
    edited March 3, 2008
    jogle wrote:

Yeah I am hoping they may offer this sort of rebate in the future...hoping is the keyword :D
    www.brandonperron.com
    edited March 3, 2008
    So is the 5D currently selling for less then what you paid for it plus the $500??

Again I've yet to see or hear about any rebates from any makers on pro body SLRs.

They are offering a rebate right now for any canon camera when you purchase one of thier printers, you get 200.00 off...So they do offer rebates.
    www.brandonperron.com
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    The best time to buy it is NOW and to not look at the price ever again. that's what I did a few months ago and I have no idea what the price is right now. Why?! Cause I haven't looked, because I've been shooting!!!! GET THE CAMERA, it's the price it is, if it goes down this summer....oh well, you've enjoyed the camera for 4 months....I feel I can be this blunt, because I was in your SAME position, but decided just to get it, and have not looked back since...the 5D is an AMAZING camera....
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • debairedebaire Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 4, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    ONLY! rolleyes1.gifD

Actually, those are my wife's words. If it's "only $500 more" get the "better one." Her point was I'm going to want to upgrade in the future. Let the future be now. And I was glad I did. Absolutely no regrets.
    edited March 4, 2008
    I guess I am different then most...I can wait a few months to get a camera in hopes of letting the price go down and if not, then oh well at least I know I waited instead of being bummed out that I bought it and a month later it went down in price. Also if they did offer a rebate that was 400-500 less then retial price, that is a good chunk of money that go towards a lens or something...

Looks like we will see what august has in store for canon.
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    debaire wrote:
    Actually, those are my wife's words. If it's "only $500 more" get the "better one." Her point was I'm going to want to upgrade in the future. Let the future be now. And I was glad I did. Absolutely no regrets.

Oh...I get your point...and can't disagree.:D

$500 isn't trivial to most folks...that's all.
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    I posted another thread about if canon will be replacing their 5d? and it is all kind of mixed if they will or not...

My question is I have not been into the photog world long enough to notice if there are any trends when a company might offer rebates or lower prices of something, if at all...

I want a canon 5d, but I can wait until it is cheaper if that is with in the next year, so I thought I would ask and see there is a better time to purchase then next month...Thanks to anyone who can help me out with this...
    "when you need it to take good pictures'.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
    edited March 4, 2008
    Mike02 wrote:
    "when you need it to take good pictures'.

Awesome another super informative and helpful post by you...
    www.brandonperron.com
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    I'm so psyched...my new toys just arrived:

Canon EOS 5D w/Battery Grip
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L glass

wings.gif ...I can't wait to snap off a few wings.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator