Options

Elements, Vista, and Smug ICC profile

shutterstephshuttersteph Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited February 29, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi guys and gals,
How do I download and install SmugMug's ICC profile on a Windows Vista machine into Elements 5?

Also, if I do that, do I still need to buy a monitor calibration system?

Thanks in advance! Hope I put this in the right subject area.
Stephanie Moon
Canon equipment
My website
equine.pet.people

Comments

• Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    I was going to wait until one of the color management folks answered but since they haven't here goes.

Actually the EZPrint ICC profile provided by SmugMug is for "soft proofing" of photos before you print to the EZPrint service provided by SmugMug.

You still will need to calibrate your monitor/video card for most of it to make any sense. There have been some titantic debates as to how calibration, color spaces, non-color managed browsers, and color managed apps like Photoshop enter into the big picture. Scan for posts by Andrew Rodney and you will get more complete (better?) picture.

The world of color management is a complex one on PCs and even Macs (but maybe to a lesser extent due to the Safari browser) but Andrew, jfriend, pathfinder, and others will cover it until your head wants to explode bowdown.gif

You have embarked on one of the strange and complex issues of digital photography although some will say "It's not complex just messed up"...

Regards

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown