can someone recommend a camera...

WingsWings Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited March 6, 2008 in Cameras
My sis is looking for a new digital camera and saw a Canon Powershot A650IS. She specifically liked the swivelling/variable position display screen, but would much rather have a camera with a lithium ion battery pack instead of the AA or NiMH batteries. Can any of you guys recommend anything similar to the Canon A 650? Similar features as the A650 but Lithium Ion batteries. Minimum display size 2.5", bigger would be fine, other than that size of the camera isn't a huge factor.Thanks in advance! She doesn't have a lo-in here yet, but she'll have access to mine so you can write and pm to her under my log-in (her name is Sylvie :D )

:barb

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 29, 2008
    If you wish, you can use the selection engines at Steve's Digicams and DPReview to help define what you might want:

http://steves-digicams.pgpartner.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=48/
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

Once you have a few more models in mind then ask back here for more specific advice and opinion.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    It would depend a lot on the amount you are willing to spend as well.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    If you like the A650IS, the Canon G9 is a upscale version with a Li-Ion battery and a nicer packaging. I believe they have the same sensor and lens.

But it does cost more and does not have a swivel our LCD.

Another option to consider is to get high powered recharable AA batteries.

Good luck.
  • WingsWings Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you wish, you can use the selection engines at Steve's Digicams and DPReview to help define what you might want:

http://steves-digicams.pgpartner.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=48/
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

Once you have a few more models in mind then ask back here for more specific advice and opinion.

Thanks! I'll go check it out clap.gif
    edited February 29, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    If you like the A650IS, the Canon G9 is a upscale version with a Li-Ion battery and a nicer packaging. I believe they have the same sensor and lens.

But it does cost more and does not have a swivel our LCD.

Another option to consider is to get high powered recharable AA batteries.

Good luck.

i have a g9 clap.gif (got it from b&h since the recommendations here were nothing but positive) and my sis certainly likes it, but since it doesn't have the swivel screen it's not a contender. the swivel screen is one of the options that are very important to her and she is looking specifically for a model with such a screen. deal.gif price range should also be comparable to that of the a650, +/-
    she's not too fond of the rechargeable aa batteries and would prefer a lithium ion battery pack-i guess she's had good luck with it in the past. thanks for your input guys, keep it coming!
    edited February 29, 2008
    How about the Sony DSC-H9. It has a flip-up LCD screen and a lithium ion battery. Might be a good one to consider:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/477405-REG/Sony_DSCH9B_Cyber_shot_DSC_H9_Digital_Camera.html
    edited March 1, 2008
    How about the Sony DSC-H9. It has a flip-up LCD screen and a lithium ion battery. Might be a good one to consider:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/477405-REG/Sony_DSCH9B_Cyber_shot_DSC_H9_Digital_Camera.html

hi swintonphoto,
    thx a lot for your answer!
    I checked the Sony H9 and I really like Sony cameras. I am using the DSC T3 right now and love it, as it is very small and perfect taking it on a bike ride.
    My next one should do more than landscape pictures, therefore I would prefer the Vari-Angle Display.
    As I see the H9, the LCD screen can only be turned up or down, or as described flip-up, but can not be turned 180 degree around.
    That is my perspective.
    Sorry about not making that clear.
    I checked many websites now and couldn't find any other than the Canon A 650 IS with the swivel screen which looks perfect to me.
    I might have to accept the rechargable NiMH batteries.
    Anyone of you can talk about experience with these?
    Do they last as long as a Li-Ion batterypack?
    I hate disposable things.

Thanks to all of you for your comments!!thumb.gif

Sylvie
    edited March 1, 2008
    Wings wrote:
    I might have to accept the rechargable NiMH batteries.
    Anyone of you can talk about experience with these?
    Do they last as long as a Li-Ion batterypack?

NiMH batteries work great. NiMH batteries can be extremly powerful, but do loose their charge faster than lithium ion batteries. There are a few recommendations I could give to make them work even better.
    -I recently got some Duracel rechargeables and I am getting better results from them than any other brand I have used.
    -The charger you get can make a huge difference. I have 2 of these:
    http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=423
    They charge each battery individually. It makes each battery last for a lot more charges, and can even restore "dead" rechargeables that don't charge well on other chargers anymore. I use this charger and my duracell rechargeables to power my flash - it works great.
    edited March 1, 2008
    NiMH batteries work great. NiMH batteries can be extremly powerful, but do loose their charge faster than lithium ion batteries. There are a few recommendations I could give to make them work even better.
    -I recently got some Duracel rechargeables and I am getting better results from them than any other brand I have used.
    -The charger you get can make a huge difference. I have 2 of these:
    http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=423
    They charge each battery individually. It makes each battery last for a lot more charges, and can even restore "dead" rechargeables that don't charge well on other chargers anymore. I use this charger and my duracell rechargeables to power my flash - it works great.
    Thanks again, swintonphoto!
    this charger is the first thing I will get next week! Your info about it and your link is very convincing.
    The Camera question is almost answered, too.
    I probably go for the Canon S 5 IS.
    After reading lots of reviews this afternoon, I am not sure, I will like the A 650 IS.
    Thanks folks! Good to have a forum like this one!thumb.gif
    Sylvie
    edited March 4, 2008
    thanks you all for your help guys, my sis is gonna get the S5 after all but she had a blast shopping and looking at all the stuff and sites you recommended!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 4, 2008
    Wings wrote:
    thanks you all for your help guys, my sis is gonna get the S5 after all but she had a blast shopping and looking at all the stuff and sites you recommended!

Tell Sylvie congratulations and you are both welcome here and encouraged to share. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 5, 2008
    Thanks Ziggy-she's counting the days clap.gif
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Now that Sylvie got an S5, it's time to get some rechargeable Ni-MH batteries for the camera. My recommendation is Sanyo's Eneloop batteries. Just when you thought it's over, here's some more reading: info on eneloop batteries, review/testing of eneloop batteries.

Costco has a package of eneloop Ni-MH charger, 8 AAs, 4 AAAs, 2 C adapters, and 2 D adapters for $26. Here's what the package looks like:
    eneloop1.JPG?imgmax=720

eneloop2.JPG?imgmax=720

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Oohhh! Cool, and I just got a membership, too! :D
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Oohhh! Cool, and I just got a membership, too! :D
    They also have the batteries without the charger or adapters for $18.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    edited March 6, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    Now that Sylvie got an S5, it's time to get some rechargeable Ni-MH batteries for the camera. My recommendation is Sanyo's Eneloop batteries. Just when you thought it's over, here's some more reading: info on eneloop batteries, review/testing of eneloop batteries.

Costco has a package of eneloop Ni-MH charger, 8 AAs, 4 AAAs, 2 C adapters, and 2 D adapters for $26. Here's what the package looks like:
    eneloop1.JPG?imgmax=720

eneloop2.JPG?imgmax=720

Cuong

Thanks for the tip, after researching the batteries and chargers a bit she decided to go with Swintonphoto's recommendation and she ordered (I forget which one) the high end product that is supposed to last longer and do a better job charging. She was able to order the European version of it, which was important since she lives in Germany. Euro standards are very strict about recycling products so she's very critical when it comes to batteries and chargers, when you live there and have been used to a mindset of recycling vs the throw away society we're so accustomed to here in the US you just look at everything from a different point of view.
    Again, Thanks to everyone for their help and input-I think she'll be very happy with her new camera for a long time to come :D