Options

NY CIty

goldenmoongoldenmoon Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
Hey there! I am headed to a meeting in the NY City area on March 6 and 7...I plan to remain for the weekend (March 8) and was wondering if anyone could suggest some good places to shoot. Born and raised in California, I have never been to New York...looking for a great day!

Current thoughts are:

Grand Central Station (will be taking the train in from Middletown NJ)
Times Square
Central Park
Brooklyn Bridge

I know I do not have time for all of these...I have the afternoon/evening of Friday and all day Saturday...not enough time to do everything...so looking for any input you can offer...thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Those are all good areas. If you have the time, you might want to consider Lower Manhattan as well - Battery Park, NY Harbor, Wall Street, the WTC area. Here's a gallery of shots I took down there last summer:
    http://www.moose135photography.com/gallery/3152085_R4Lew/1/173074453_FUYv4
  • Options
    1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Have fun!
    I made my first serious photography visit tio NY a couple of months ago. I had a blast anywhere on the street. I did feel like in Chinatown the people were a little more reluctant to have their photo taken.

My gallery:
    http://sbooth.smugmug.com/gallery/3933002_HK6ap

There are also incredible photography exhibits at the MET, MOMA, the International (can't remember the name...) that featured Capa <-- that place also had an incredible photography bookstore.
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    the view from across the river in hoboken on Frank Sinatra Drive is even bettr than these and stunning at night but this is the general area.

I'll also post your thread on advrider there are numerous nyc residents who know there way around. in more ways than one. :D

166044190_d8JfS-L.jpg
  • Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Your ideas are all good. Nice places to shoot.

Now, when you come in on the train from NJ, you do not go to Grand Central Station, you go to Penn Station. Penn Station was once a great station, but that was torn down (60's I think) to build Madison Square Garden, and the station is now a maze of dark, underground passageways.

The subway is your friend (and there are some good places for photo in the Subway). Get a fun pass (or day pass, whatever they call it now) and you get unlimited rides on one day for the price of just a few trips. It's the fastest way to get around from one place to another to get more shots in.

In the times square area, also look for the main NYC public library. In and near central park are the Museum af Natural History (west side of the park) and the Metropolitan Museum of Art (east side).

It's funny, I worked in NYC for a year and a half, and never took pictures of most of this stuff...
  • Options
    starky987starky987 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    I'm also going to be in NYC March 24-27 and was looking for some good locations to shoot. One shot I really want to take is a good and unobstructed shot of the city horizon. Any recommendations besides the ones already given are welcome. Thanks
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    starky987 wrote:
    I'm also going to be in NYC March 24-27 and was looking for some good locations to shoot. One shot I really want to take is a good and unobstructed shot of the city horizon. Any recommendations besides the ones already given are welcome. Thanks

Best bet in going to NJ for that. The only suggestion that I really have for that is Liberty State park, at the old Central RR of NJ terminal. Unfortunately, it is not easy to get to by public transportation (that I know of), so unless you will have a car, it may not work well. I think that there is a peir at Exchange place (at the PATH station) that would also have good views. There are probably some good places on the Brooklyn waterfront as well, but I'm not familiar with Brooklyn.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 6, 2008
    starky987 wrote:

Staten Island is a good vantage point. Do you have Google Earth? If so, search "Staten Island" and look for existing markers that show photos. thumb.gif
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    jziegler wrote:
    Best bet in going to NJ for that. The only suggestion that I really have for that is Liberty State park, at the old Central RR of NJ terminal.
    171428849_L9k3q-L.jpg
    More photos here: http://moose135.smugmug.com/gallery/3128325_drTg9
    jziegler wrote:
    There are probably some good places on the Brooklyn waterfront as well, but I'm not familiar with Brooklyn.
    My favorite spot is Brooklyn Bridge Park, between the Brooklyn & Manhattan Bridges:

94522283_bPPen-L.jpg

Angelo wrote:
    Staten Island is a good vantage point. Do you have Google Earth? If so, search "Staten Island" and look for existing markers that show photos. thumb.gif
    This was taken on the north shore of Staten Island, right near the ferry terminal and the SI Yankees ball park. There is public parking there (you may have to pay to park depending on what is going on in the area.)
    214358803_nr2E3-L.jpg
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Walk across the brooklyn bridge.... their is a beautiful little park underneath the brooklyn bridge it sits between the brooklyn and manhattan bridge. Also right next to the park a short little walk their is a pier where you can get nice shots of the skyline. Also another short walk you will see a little gas station near the pier and a big hill if you walk up the big hill you will find yourself at the brooklyn promenade which is a beautiful long walkway where you can get more beautiful shots of the skyline with the statue of liberty way in the distance.

Also check out the Soho area in they city near canal and broadway plus if you walk down canal you will walk into china town and little italy. These are all great spots for some nice photo ops not to mention grat little places to eat.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro