Baby Green Tree Python

WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
edited March 2, 2008 in Holy Macro
Hi guys! This is my first pic post here and thought I'd post something a bit different.

This is my baby Lereh locale green tree python. I shot some of these last night for Nikolai's assignment thread. Several are at greater than 1:1 mag using a 4x (whatever that means?) diopter on a 100/2.8 and while the feeding shots aren't real macros at 1:1 I thought yaw may enjoy them.

These animals are a complete pleasure to care for.

260345742_Wzoar-M.jpg

260345748_Br36p-M.jpg

260345757_LhzcU-M.jpg

No flash, iso 200, f22, 2.5 sec exposure.

260345773_GtQ9x-M.jpg

A few shots while I fed him right after the above photos.

260384619_LoeGr-M.jpg

260384631_rZip9-M.jpg

260384642_vaizy-M.jpg

260384654_DMXJu-M.jpg

I hope yaw enjoy these as much as I do taking them. Any C & C is appreciated!

Comments

• photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    beautiful creature....and colors...nice job. But, please, warn in your subject line when there may be offensive content...
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    wow! so much great detail..Was the snakie asleep at the 2,5 sec exposure?..Good snake to stay still for that long hehe.

MAy i ask why you did use f 22 ?. It´s..Isn´t it very usual that a lens drops out after f11 in quality?. Im just curious cause i would have used like f7 or 5,6..There is nothing wrong with these photos, i think they are very good and intresting. Just curious hehe..It´s funny to see different ways to snap a photo.
  • bchaplinbchaplin Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Great shots!
    Is it usual to have that coloring in the eyes? It's a very pretty snake.
  • matasamatasa Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    wow, so pretty, beautiful shots clap.gif
    I can resist everything except temptation
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Great Series.....fantastic colors......if the head is smaller than a penny...how large is this snake, must be one of the smallest pythons.......as for dinner ....what was on his menu??:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Thanks guys!

Doug,it didn't occur to me that these could be. If a mod would edit the title with a more appropriate warning that would be great.

bchaplin, this particular eye coloring isn't very common, but neither is it extraordinary. GTPs exhitit slightly different color/markings that vary between which locality they are from. Some have red eyes, which is amazing.

Matasa, Thanks!

Arvan, I used f22 for dof. These are ambush predators and remain very still, making long exposures easy. They do, however, wiggle their tails like a worm at times. Very neat to see. And yes, you do get some diffraction softening at very narrow apertures. Several of these are at f25 and f29, but synced to 1/200 with the flash. A lot of the noticeable degredation depends on the subject. He has a lot of contrasting edges on his scales to make the photo look "sharper" and the diffraction less apparent. I guess I could've used wider and focus stacked, but I prefer to keep pp minimal. Plus the few times I tried I sucked at it. rolleyes1.gif

For reference, here's you one at f5.

260594711_QqS9H-M.jpg
  • WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Great Series.....fantastic colors......if the head is smaller than a penny...how large is this snake, must be one of the smallest pythons.......as for dinner ....what was on his menu??:D

Thanks! It's about 14-16 inches long. He/she will grow up to be 4-6 feet depending on sex and how I feed. Males typically max out at 4-5 ft while females can reach 6, but 5 is usually it. It's still a baby. It will grow up to be bright green. They typically change colors about a year of age, which is about how old they need to be to sex them. They are far too delicate to sex at this age. Well, it can be done but it's VERY easy to permanently injure them trying.

The food was frozen mice pinks (newborn mouse). You thaw them to body temp in warm water. Many snakes refuse to eat dead prey, but typically if you can start them on dead as babies they will eat it. It's far safer for the snake as rodents have extremely powerful jaws and can kill snakes. Also, it's more humane, IMO, for the prey.

I'll try to get some size comparison shots when I get back home tonight. I might not be able to since I just fed last night and it's best not to disturb them for a day or two after a meal.

Feel free to ask anything else!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Hi guys! This is my first pic post here and thought I'd post something a bit different.

This is my baby Lereh locale green tree python. I shot some of these last night for Nikolai's assignment thread. Several are at greater than 1:1 mag using a 4x (whatever that means?) diopter on a 100/2.8 and while the feeding shots aren't real macros at 1:1 I thought yaw may enjoy them.

These animals are a complete pleasure to care for.

No flash, iso 200, f22, 2.5 sec exposure.
    A few shots while I fed him right after the above photos.
    I hope yaw enjoy these as much as I do taking them. Any C & C is appreciated!

Hi William your first post hu? well what a Grand Entrance you've made clap.gif
    My favourites are the 4th shot and the last shots.

The red markings across the eye's makes it look a bit mean :uhoh

It's got beautiful markings... I prefer to sleep with the cat :D

Great shots William, and you used F22 too gosh!
    Nicely Done! .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin