Good quality non-SLR

dhallydhally Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited March 2, 2008 in Cameras
Hi, I'm new to the forum but not new to photography. Years ago we had a Nikormat with a couple lenses, then a Pentax MX with a zoom lens. For the last few years (since kids) we've stayed with point and shoot zoom film cameras. Now it looks like we're going digital and want to start taking better pictures again.

My question is does anyone make a non-SLR that takes really good pictures, has a wide zoom range and has macro focus? We would like to avoid carrying and changing lenses and flash attachments since photography usually isn't our main focus.

I have researched this on this site and others, and it seems that some cameras are "near-SLR" quality. It seems like the manufacturers could put quality optics and sensors in a compact convenient package?

Or am I dreaming?

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    The Canon powershot G9 and the Fujifilm F50fd might be good choices.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    The G9 is a fantastic P&S camera, I know a lot of dgrinners and smugmug people who have one me included. The only spot it lacks in is high ISO performance but if it had that nobody would buy a rebel :)

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2008
    From all ive read & seen...a G9 would def be my pick.
  • dhallydhally Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 1, 2008
    Well that was unanaimous -- thanks for the advice. Now its off to go shopping...
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Good luck! The G9 should do you very well. I haven't used it, but have used previous generations (G2, G6, etc.) and was very impressed. Great lens, features, and size.
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    I have a Fujifilm S6000fd, and it's great. Bigger than the G9, but better low light capabilities and bigger zoom range. No IS though.

The new Fujifilm S100fs coming out looks like it will be great.