Snowflakes

Jody MelansonJody Melanson Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
edited March 4, 2008 in Holy Macro
260475330_RoDtA-O.jpg

260475348_VZeKG-O.jpg

260475357_p3FfZ-O.jpg

These were captured from my bedroom window during a snowfall. I used the Canon 1D Mark II N to the body was attached 3 extension tubes, then a Sigma 150 Macro lens attached to the tubes, then a Canon 50/1.8 reversed on the front of the Sigma.

All are Handheld. Mostly full frame.
There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness!

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Stunning! Incredible detail and color!clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    very cool! (Pun intended mwink.gif)

thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • macrobuggermacrobugger Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Fantastic images, never had the chance to try this yet, shooting with that setup handheld aint no easy task either.
    very cool! (Pun intended mwink.gif)

thumb.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,076 moderator
    edited March 2, 2008
    Gorgeous! thumb.gifthumb
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Beautiful shots Jody - what did you catch them on ?
    Brian V.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Wow ... great stuff.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    super cool...Frozen water is so complex...they look fake, great job.
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Amazing !!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    bowdown.gif very well done clap.gif

These remind me of Andy Sorensen's snowflakes.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    These were captured from my bedroom window during a snowfall. I used the Canon 1D Mark II N to the body was attached 3 extension tubes, then a Sigma 150 Macro lens attached to the tubes, then a Canon 50/1.8 reversed on the front of the Sigma.

First off, fantastic images!

How have you found this setup? I have the 50f1.8 and the tubes, and the sigma is currently #2 on my list, along with the reversing filter adapters and step downs for the 150, I'd seen some images from the combo eons ago, and it intrigued me.

Do you ever find you need to use flash? I have a 430EX but doubt I'd be able to handhold it on a cord and the camera/lens assembly at once. Obviously these ones are of static subjects, but what kind of exposures times can you get?

Also, any hard numbers on the magnification you're getting?

I'm excited to have found someone who might answer my questions on the combo wings.gif
  • MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    firstly - love your quip :D

What stunning photos!! I love them. bowdown.gif Well done.
    Michelle Legg :smooch

michellelegg.com
    http://legg.smugmug.com/
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008

Jody these are nothing short of AMAZING clap.gif :ivar
    The detail in each of these is just incredible.
    How unique... and so sharp too ... Jody these are just Beautiful.

Excellent Series thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • bashfotobashfoto Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    im lost for words these loook awesome holy crap! nice work there - whatever i say is not enough ; the details damn just perfect...
    eek7.gif

Bashfoto

• Jody MelansonJody Melanson Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:
    First off, fantastic images!

How have you found this setup? I have the 50f1.8 and the tubes, and the sigma is currently #2 on my list, along with the reversing filter adapters and step downs for the 150, I'd seen some images from the combo eons ago, and it intrigued me.

Do you ever find you need to use flash? I have a 430EX but doubt I'd be able to handhold it on a cord and the camera/lens assembly at once. Obviously these ones are of static subjects, but what kind of exposures times can you get?

Also, any hard numbers on the magnification you're getting?

I'm excited to have found someone who might answer my questions on the combo wings.gif
    181896716_e3Nso-O.jpg

He is a photo of me using the rig. I didn't use a flash for the Snowflakes as they were in the window with light behind them. The Flash bracket is from Kirk Photo and I got my rings from Macrorings.com

I'm getting around 7 to 1 with this setup if I amd zoomed in fully on the Sigma 150. Full frame is just under a 1/4 of an inch. :D

It does take some getting used to. Finding your subjects in the viewfinder is the hardest part. Because you are so magnified, you of course have to hold your breath and even then, your heartbeat will cause out of focus shots. You have to shoot between heartbeats. The DOF is about 1mm.

I love shooting with this setup. I have used a borrowed MP-E 65 and will not be purchasing one. ( I tried reversing a lens on the MP-E! :D ) I get more magnification with my existing setup and the MP-E produces lousy images at anything higher than F11.

Hope this helps! :)
    There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 3, 2008
    Oh .... you aren't shooting these freehand in air then??:D :D

Very excellent images, Jody, and I appreciate the demonstration of just how you went about this. I can only imagine how challenging this can be to do with limited DOF and limited lighting and being cold to boot. even with the snowflakes on a fixed glass surface. Well done.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Hope this helps! :)

It's amazing! I'm actually quite certain from this photo that it was a posting of yours some time ago on dpreview that got me started looking at this combo for my macro! It also answers my question with regards to a flash bracket, budget is squeezed but I am getting a good picture of what's out there and what works.

1mm DOF at 7:1 ?!?!? If I'm not mistaken that's amazingly spacious, at least in terms of super-macro photography!

I'll also have to hope my time practising with the 50/1.8 and tubes has at least somewhat prepared me for the trouble in finding my targets through the VF

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!!!
  • KevinKevin Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    erhm ...
    AWESOME!
    Kevin.
    the Photo Muse: http://the-photo-muse.blogspot.com