Critique Required

MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited March 4, 2008 in Holy Macro
good morning everyone

Took this macro picture of native bees in a lotus flower. I'd like some comments on what people think of it compositionally - I'm in two minds about it. I was battling breeze and was hanging over the edge of the water to get as close as humanly possible without going for a swim.

Thoughts??

Thanks in advance everyone.

261064714_w7iMU-L.jpg
Michelle Legg :smooch

michellelegg.com
http://legg.smugmug.com/

Comments

• RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    This image pulls me a lot of different directions, personally, I'd like to see it zoomed out a tiny bit, and a little less centered with the middle of the flower a little more right, less magnification would help with the DOF on whatever the top of the flower is, which looks awesome.

I know you said composition only, but I have to mention it's a bit underexposed and seems to have a green tinge, at least on the not great monitor I'm using right now.
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    I'd go for more abstract:
    261161392_945tw-O.jpg
  • MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:
    This image pulls me a lot of different directions, personally, I'd like to see it zoomed out a tiny bit, and a little less centered with the middle of the flower a little more right, less magnification would help with the DOF on whatever the top of the flower is, which looks awesome.

I know you said composition only, but I have to mention it's a bit underexposed and seems to have a green tinge, at least on the not great monitor I'm using right now.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm not seeing the green that you are - mine is more yellow but I will keep that in mind when playing with the photo. I'm out that way again with in the next few days so I'll try again keeping your suggestion in mind.

Thanks.

michellelegg.com
    edited March 2, 2008
    I'd go for more abstract:
    261161392_945tw-O.jpg

OOOHHH - now that is nice and does grab me.

You know when sometimes you take a picture and instantly upon looking at it on the screen you think "yep that's a winner" - you've now made me think that about my picture.

i'll have a play and make the changes.

Thanks for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.

michellelegg.com
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Well taken but #1 doesn't quite look right - always difficult with 2 competing subjects. The crop above works brilliantly by separating the two components of the shot.
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    MichelleL wrote:
    good morning everyone

Took this macro picture of native bees in a lotus flower. I'd like some comments on what people think of it compositionally - I'm in two minds about it. I was battling breeze and was hanging over the edge of the water to get as close as humanly possible without going for a swim.

Thoughts??

Hi Michelle, having read all the replies to your thread,
    I too like the crop of the shot David suggested.
    Those little bees sure must like the flower, there's enough of them on it :D

Quite an interesting flower, thanks for sharing Michelle thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • WacrerWacrer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    MichelleL wrote:
    good morning everyone

Thoughts??

Hi Michelle,

A lot of good cc here :) I may be at risk of repeating some, so bear with mwink.gif This is for the original shot. Composition is really nice, maybe try a tiny bit lower of a perspective to allow the little nubs on top to stand out more. By lowering your angle you will pick up some needed dof, maybe add a stop or so in aperture. The shot is a tad on the gray side, I think some separation with a slight curve would give each subject due importance. Really nice shot.
    Full Circle Photography, Inc.

Scott McPherson

www.fortecinema.com
    edited March 3, 2008
    Thanks Brian, Skippy and Scott - I appreciate the comments as it's how one learns. Whilst I thought the photo was ok - it just didn't have the 'wow' factor about it and the comments from everyone - including the crop have shown me different ways to take the picture and a different way of cropping/post processing it.

Thanks again everyone.

michellelegg.com
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    IMHO you should go back and re-shoot the flower instead of cropping the first image. You won't have anything to send to a printer if you crop...

Also I'd like to see a life size or higher magnification shot of those bees :cool

In the future pick a subject and shoot for it. If there is a bug in the frame and you compose for the flower at the end you'll have a perfectly good shot of a flower that's ruined by the critters on it...
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
    edited March 4, 2008
    Dalantech wrote:
    IMHO you should go back and re-shoot the flower instead of cropping the first image. You won't have anything to send to a printer if you crop...

Also I'd like to see a life size or higher magnification shot of those bees :cool

In the future pick a subject and shoot for it. If there is a bug in the frame and you compose for the flower at the end you'll have a perfectly good shot of a flower that's ruined by the critters on it...

Thanks dalantech - I'm always at the gardens so I'll do that - your comment is much apprecited.

michellelegg.com