Water!

ScraffScraff Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited March 3, 2008 in Holy Macro
I wanted to play with some of my lenses to see what kinds of photos I can get of water. My wife and I decided to try to see if we can put some different colored paper behind and take a few hundred shots and hopefully get one or two good ones....let me know what you think.
Thanks...Scott

258178791_ETcsc-M.jpg

258179290_GbpkV-M.jpg

Comments

• WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    The first one is cool! I think I see one of yaw's reflection in the drop. thumb.gif

Good job on a difficult subject! The only thing I can suggest is maybe try putting a colorful object in position to reflect in the drop so it appears to be "escaping" the water.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Scraff wrote:
    I wanted to play with some of my lenses to see what kinds of photos I can get of water. My wife and I decided to try to see if we can put some different colored paper behind and take a few hundred shots and hopefully get one or two good ones....let me know what you think.
    Thanks...Scott

Hi Scott, not easy to do is it.

Matasa captured some very interesting water shots if you've not already seen them http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=85659

I'm not sure what the container was, or how it was filled when she did those shots, maybe you could get some tips from her.

I'd love to catch a crown shot, yours is a pretty good effort,
    but I think you could do better.

I know these shots are not easy to capture, I've only tried with dripping water from a tap myself, not a surface or glass filled already with water.

You are so close to being there with these Scott, brilliant effort on your part thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • bhowdybhowdy Registered Users Posts: 658 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Good first effort Scott.

As Skippy mentioned, it is not as easy as one would think. I also liked your crown shot, maybe a little high angle would have shown it better.

The colored paper may have been too far behind the glass container? Your water did not seem to pick-up the color as well as you may have liked it to.
    I like to use brightly colored materials, like a nylon windbreaker or a raincoat. To me it seems that the shiny surface works better than flat texture colored paper. Matasa used a shiny wrapping paper with very nice colors, which seemed to work nicely.

Keep posting ... you already have a nice "crown" shot!

Bob
    Maryville, TN.

http://bhowdy.smugmug.com/
  • MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Not bad for a first try. :D

This is something I haven't had a go at yet - but will one day. As is my understanding, this isn't easy.

I really like image number 2 and how you've captured all of the really tiny water drops.

Keep going - I look forward to seeing more of your waterdrop photography.
    Michelle Legg :smooch

michellelegg.com
    http://legg.smugmug.com/
  • matasamatasa Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Very nice drops:)

I think, milk drops are easyer to take than water, or you can add little glicerine to water.

I look forward to seeing more of your waterdrops
    I can resist everything except temptation
  • ScraffScraff Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    matasa wrote:
    Very nice drops:)

I think, milk drops are easyer to take than water, or you can add little glicerine to water.

I look forward to seeing more of your waterdrops

Thanks Matasa!

I have tried a bunch of milk shots with dropping some fruit (esp. strawberries) in and I found it a bit tricky. I got a few nice side splash shots but I need to keep practing. I want to try and get some from above the fruit as it is hitting. Will post when I have something I am happy with!
    -Scott