Lower Yosemite Falls Pano

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 16, 2008 in Landscapes
I'm out in SmugMugVille this coming week but I stopped by Yosemite on the way :evil

This is Canon 1Ds Mark III, 5 shots across, portrait orientation. Canon 24mm TS-E on board with 10-stop B+W ND filter used. Exposure, ISO 100, 4secs @ f/18.

263278915_riw2r-XL.jpg

Enjoy (waterfall!) photography,

Comments

• starky987starky987 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Love the picture! Had a question about capturing the moving water like you did. Everytime I try to caputer water moving like that without over exposing the picture? Everytime I try to do what you just did I end up with a white picture. Sorry if this isn't the place to ask but I was just curious. THanks
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Andy-

This is a nice pano! thumb.gif
    starky987 wrote:
    Love the picture! Had a question about capturing the moving water like you did. Everytime I try to caputer water moving like that without over exposing the picture? Everytime I try to do what you just did I end up with a white picture. Sorry if this isn't the place to ask but I was just curious. THanks

A couple ways to do this- ND Filters like Andy used- or crank the F-stop to F22 or smaller so you can get a longer exposure time.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • starky987starky987 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    What's the 10 stop B+W ND filter? I dont want to bring it up again b/c I feel bad posting something else in someone's post. Just trying to find out what I need to capture photos like his. Thanks and sorry about posting this in your post.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    starky987 wrote:
    What's the 10 stop B+W ND filter? I dont want to bring it up again b/c I feel bad posting something else in someone's post. Just trying to find out what I need to capture photos like his. Thanks and sorry about posting this in your post.
    Please don't be sorry :) And this is as much your thread as mine deal.gif That's what this forum is for, learning! Never be shy. The only dumb question around here is the one not asked - and that's the truth.

A ten-stop ND makes it so that there's less light coming in, and effectively allows a longer shutter speed in the bright light I was in, and thus making the water look smooth. It does not add or change any color.

Some reading:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Great shot Andy. I am making the trip next Tuesday. Hope the weather cooperates. Looks like the Light gods were good to you.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • RNDRNDRNDRND Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Nice picture. I like the composition, color and the effect you got of the water.

Did you use a screw on ND filter or a drop in filter (although I have never seen a 10-stop drop in ND filter listed anywhere). I have heard that with a 10-stop ND filter on, it is difficult or impossible to see the image you are photographing. How did you set up your photos?
    RND
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Only 4 seconds? That's great. I met a man locally who was using a variable density ND filter. How nice to have it all in one.

Enjoy Yosemite! Love the pano!
  • SunnyvalejohnSunnyvalejohn Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Andy,

Great as always! I will have to digg up a 10x ND filter (or put black tar over my lens)! I always love a great waterfall. It looks like a gusher coming down. Was it nice up there? I am headed up soon :-)

Are you using any kind of panobracket or just your tripod? What do you use to stitch your panos?

Thanks!
    John
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Impressive stitching - I really must invest in a tripod, it would help with my panos. :D
    Andy wrote:
    I'm out in SmugMugVille this coming week but I stopped by Yosemite on the way naughty.gif

This is Canon 1Ds Mark III, 5 shots across, portrait orientation. Canon 24mm TS-E on board with 10-stop B+W ND filter used. Exposure, ISO 100, 4secs @ f/18.

Click for larger size.

Enjoy (waterfall!) photography,
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Love the silky water and the balance of light between highlights and the midtones. What's causing the big shadow on the right?

I love it when Andy gets to actually go out and bring us back photos! :smo
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 3, 2008
    There's a bridge that crosses the river.

Stand there in May or early June and you'll be soaked :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    10 stop
    what is max number of ND filters available just for info ?

Great image
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Nice shot Andy. I remember about three months ago Yosemite Falls was bone dry. I can't wait to get up there this spring. Nice shot.

Mikko
  • VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Nice pano!
    Yes, his spring is very promising due to ungoldy amount of snow.
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    edited March 5, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

I love it when Andy gets to actually go out and bring us back photos! :smo
    Me too thumb.gif
    edited March 8, 2008
    10 stop
    what is max number of ND filters available just for info ?

Great image

B+W Filters

PDF Link

Thanks Awais!
    edited March 16, 2008
    Got this by PM
    I'm planning a trip to Yosemite myself May17th and I want to get set up to take many pictures similar to your Pano in this thread. I will be renting a 10-20MM from borrowlenses and I am thinking about a Ball head as well. So I've really been trying to learn about good panos and wanted to know what kind of tripod setup you use for these. I think I'm overthinking it when I look into head levelers, and finding teh "Nodal" point of the lens. When maybe just taking some nice pics overlapping picks from a tripod will do. So do you worry about leleving everything?

So, it's *always* best to ask questions in the open forum, not by pm. Why? Get the advice and help from ALL not just me.

Yes, I worry about leveling every thing :) That's why I use the RRS Pano Kit.

We have a tutorial on the nodal point, too :)
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2114189 (from our Tutorials link, Dgrin Navbar).

I hope this helps! Holler for more.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Hey Andy - I looked at this previously, but for some reason, it really had a huge impact on me just now. This shot has SOOOOO much in it - not in a busy way, but in the same way that a really delicious dish has - layers and layers of interest - depth of 'flavor'. WOW, sorry I missed digesting it properly the first time round.

ann
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Got this by PM

So, it's *always* best to ask questions in the open forum, not by pm. Why? Get the advice and help from ALL not just me.

Yes, I worry about leveling every thing :) That's why I use the RRS Pano Kit.

We have a tutorial on the nodal point, too :)
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2114189 (from our Tutorials link, Dgrin Navbar).

I hope this helps! Holler for more.

Sorry about the PM, I thought about that after I sent it. And thanks for the link. RRS has quite a learning section on Panos. Unfortunately, it looks like the right equipment for the job is quite pricey.
    edited March 16, 2008
    Shane422 wrote:
    Sorry about the PM, I thought about that after I sent it. And thanks for the link. RRS has quite a learning section on Panos. Unfortunately, it looks like the right equipment for the job is quite pricey.
    So, you can try and shoot without - but it's tougher with wide angles and lots of foreground. But it can be done....