Why Did The Chicken Use IPTC

voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
edited March 3, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Seems that IPTC (some standard whatever. check iptc wikipedia) might have something to do with all this filename, keyword, searchable silliness. I tried one of the photo editor viewer things that support writing IPTC , IRFAN. There are lists around, maybe even somewhere in the forums here, PICASA, XNVIEW, IRFAN , many more, I was / am looking for one that does image fixing / editing / etc AND writes to IPTC . In IRFAN, you select "properties " under "image" , it brings up all your camera, date, settings , etc ANMD there's a bottom down bottom left for IPTC. You click the button, up pops the IPTC type stuff... fill in the fields : captions, keywords . Close, save as, upload and all... presto : SmugMUG finds my file / photo without me going in and manually adding captions and keywords.
Have no idea if, when SmugMug tells me there's been a "bug" and my filenames aren't getting added to my keywords, that has anything to do with IPTC or not. What I mean is : I don't know if any kind of filename was / is supposed to get added to keywords, or if they meant : we assume you are using iptc type of software - but that has a bug lately ?
Now, I'm trying to find an image editor that writes IPTC ... ANNND.... that I can somehow set to that along with naming my photo in the "SAVE AS" moment. At the moment, I'm not sure I'm not opening and closing as many dialogue boxes and typing in words as I would just doing it in SmugMug's "Bulk Change Captions, Keywords."
Anybody know of an IPTC, photo editor type-a-thing that can streamline the operation ? I mean : I'm wondering about "THE GIMP " (free) for photo manipulation ANNND a separate program to go all IPTC - 'cause it doesn't seem like GIMP can write to IPTC. But that all seems like so many steps. One program, touch up the photo, click SAVE AS, and have what I'm naming the file somehow be going IPTC.

Thanks for various things ( and .. oh yeah : stuff )

Marty ( http://photofur.smugmug.com/ )

Comments

• lizzardkinglizzardking Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2008
    Wow, That was quite a paragraph!

If there was a problem with my software (geosetter and exifyer) setting the ITPC and Exif headers incorrectly.......
    Smug mug would fail to tag EVERY TIME I upload that particular batch.

No No!

Sometimes it does, sometimes it dosnt. (with the SAME batch)

Ive checked my headers. There fine and dandy.

Ive used 4 diffrent types of software to ensert the headers. (to recheck my software)

Im sure tts the server.

The same server that occasionaly creates duplicate images and looses the odd file of 2.