Yosemite Firefalls/Horsetail Falls and Winter Yosemite

SunnyvalejohnSunnyvalejohn Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited March 8, 2008 in Landscapes
Just wanted to share my Horsetail Falls/Yosemite Firefalls and Winter Yosemite photos since I am gearing up for another trip to Yosemite. I have had a few folks ask me if this was the original "Fire Falls" that they used to push off of Glacier Point (no, it isn't!)

I captured my Firefalls last year after 3 unsuccessful trips. The "Full Moon Over Half Dome" was an accident after I was coming back from ONE of those unsuccessful trips.

This year should be quite different. The snow on the valley floor should be melted and it should be nice and warm!

Thanks,
John

"Nature's Firefall"
226401666_iGP5Z-M.jpg

"Full Moon over Half Dome"
145714888_LWTGo-M-2.jpg

"Infinite Loop in Winter"
253461191_zhrKL-M.jpg

"Light on the Falls"
261098863_HJ6mT-M.jpg

"Heavenly Winter"
146000558_jmDBU-M-2.jpg

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    wow...good to see Ed has some competition with horsetail. very nice.
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    I love the third photo. I have this picture in my mind that I want to take on a snowy day in the state park across the road from me and you just took it. I'm sure I won't be able to execute it the way you did. Its beautiful.

Stephanie
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    These are great - was just @ Y0semite this weekend and missed it :(
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 3, 2008
    Very nice.

The valley is much warmer yet still has a fair amount of snow on the floor.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    I like 1 and 2 the most.
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Great Job.... thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Weldone !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Full moon over 1/2Dome thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • SunnyvalejohnSunnyvalejohn Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Thanks for all the great feedback!

Andy, I get to borrow your 10x ND for my next trip!

The fullmoon shot, as I mentioned, was purely fantantistic timing, I mean luck. I was coming back from a horsetail falls/firefalls vain attempt, and came around the corner and that moon was staring right at me! I stopped my car, setup my tripod right in the road (ok, not a great idea) and got off 4-5 shots before the clouds totally covered it.

I cropped the Full Moon and Infinite Loop. Let me know what you think. The Full Moon (I think) is a really good crop. The portion of the sides and sky that I cut weren't doing anything.

I am not sure with the Infinite loop crop. I really like some of the trees on the right, but that sky doesn't do much. I felt it would be stronger having the right hand guard rail come out of the side rather than the middle. Decisions... Decisions.

Thanks!
    John

Full Moon over Half Dome - Cropped.
    262566706_EwrjU-M.jpg

Infinite Loop in Winter - Crop.
    262566851_SMmHy-M.jpg
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    John, excellent work and I love the whole set. thumb.gif

I had to look several times before I noticed the difference between crops. headscratch.gif The full moon I like - a little tighter around the frame of trees and the moon. Infinite Loop I actually think I prefer the original because I like the trees on the right side. The photo (to me) is just as much about the contrasty trunks on the snow as it is with the lines of the guard rails. Sort of a juxtaposition of curvy and straight, man vs nature I suppose.

Just my two cents. :D