An English country gent, a window cleaner & a photographer

toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited March 3, 2008 in People
It's quite unusual for me to take people shots as I'm quite wary of approaching strangers. However, I learnt a few techniques at the weekend which I tried out.

This chap is the father of the landlord of a superb pub in Surrey, UK called the William IV. His name is Dick (yes it really is) and he was dressed as the archetypal English country gentleman in tweeds, propping up the bar with a pint of bitter chatting to the other locals. After a brief compliment he was very happy to have his photo taken:

261008181_tX3t9-L.jpg

This next chap was cleaning windows in the "greasy spoon" cafe where we had breakfast. He was initially approached by Pete who was giving my all my tips on that day. A really nice gent, set here in context - you know he's in a cafe from the sauce bottles, dirty table etc.
261006136_sJXxn-L.jpg

And lastly here's a shot of Pete. Taken in the doorway of an abandoned farm building with the exposure stopped down to black out the background letting the bright shaft of sunlight do the right job.
261007021_f4fT4-L.jpg

After a weekend's practice I feel a lot more confident about approaching people to take their photo now. It is very rewarding if you get it right.

Cheers!

Tobers

Comments

• thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    The first picture totally is a stereotypical English man....haha. I expect him to be a little bit snotty in a charming sort of way. I quite like the way he's dressed. You made a good choice on him.
    The second one is a really nice character too. But I only know what he's doing because you told me. I don't mind to think of him as a lonely gent at a table, because that's what you get, but I still would want to see more of him. The face and light are strong enough that you could have pulled back some and then the viewer would be drawn into him. He had the character to stand out of a wider background.
    The third shot is nice. I like your attempt on blacking out the background. Though I would not have minded a little more detail. To suggest that he was shooting something really cool inside the doorway before you took this shot.
    I think its the hardest thing in the world to ask for a people shot. And when I was in London for the summer I was actually sneaking interesting people shots because I was too scared to ask. Most people didn't realize though, the place was so crowded.

Good job, post more soon,
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 3, 2008
    Love the first two. clap.gif

Cheers,