Options

ISO experiments...

kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
edited March 26, 2004 in Technique
I learn a lot from this site. This evening, I took a series of pics using different ISO settings. Heretofore, I had always used the auto setting. It was an overcast day and all shots were "hand-held" so not the best quality. I am using a Sony P-71 3.2MP cam.
ISO 100
3079704-M.jpg
ISO 200
3079705-M.jpg
ISO 400
3079706-M.jpg
komet gives light so that you may find the way.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    Here are some more...

ISO 100
    3079708-M.jpg
    ISO 200
    3079709-M.jpg
    ISO 400
    3079710-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    Three more...

ISO 100
    3079712-M.jpg
    ISO 200
    3079713-M.jpg
    ISO 400
    3079714-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    And these...

ISO 100
    3079700-M.jpg
    ISO 200
    3079701-M.jpg
    ISO 400
    3079703-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    That's all the pics, but I did find that using the auto feature generally gave me an ISO 400 pic(this evening). Also, the pics using auto mode are generally the better of the lot. I used to know a bit about the ISO stuff but that was in the film days. Waxie was right about one thing, however. Using the "scene" mode while it does allow more light (longer shutter I suppose), the quality is not as good. Of course using a tripod at night might help that aspect...but I think there is something amiss using the scene modes. I'm still learning with an average digi-cam but it is fun.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    What are you doing in Egypt?

Great sequences. A nice way to illustrate the differences. I'm wondering if the auto setting produced better shots for a number of reasons: it was able to find the best balance of ISO, shutter and aperature; and I suspect it can cheat. It can pick settings that you can't dial in manually - settings between f-stops and also non-traditional shutter speeds, for example.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    What are you doing in Egypt?

Great sequences. A nice way to illustrate the differences. I'm wondering if the auto setting produced better shots for a number of reasons: it was able to find the best balance of ISO, shutter and aperature; and I suspect it can cheat. It can pick settings that you can't dial in manually - settings between f-stops and also non-traditional shutter speeds, for example.
    Also, you mentioned in another thread somewhere re: "scene modes"...they are kind of rough and grainy compared to not using that mode.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    komet wrote:
    Also, you mentioned in another thread somewhere re: "scene modes"...they are kind of rough and griny compared to not using that mode.

I know. I tried using them on my camera just to see, and they were awful. I've read that they're not very useful.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited March 26, 2004
    komet wrote:
    Of course using a tripod at night might help that aspect...
    Have you thought about a monopod? Best when you need steady and
    not solid. I was looking at a tiny little tripod the other day thinking it would
    be great for ground level shots or even attaching to the bike.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    Ya know ian, I thought a monopod would be the bee's knees. They don't cost a great deal, so I got one. I guess I don't have the technique down, because for me the camera moved as much as if it had been purely handheld. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.