Options

Orange and Black

eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited March 17, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
One of the first assignments I gave myself after I got my D40x.

I wish I'd had the backgroud further from the subject for this first one. :dunno
Sharp023light.jpg

I forgot to turn off the TV, which was (mostly) behind the backdrop. :rofl
Sharp013copy.jpg
Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Good heavens, that's an old recurve. I like the shots, make's me say "Why didn't I think of that." :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Nice shots, the bow itself is starting to look a little sad, though :D

The first one may need a blackpoint or some more contrast added to it, for my taste.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:

I wish I'd had the backgroud further from the subject for this first one. ne_nau.gif

I forgot to turn off the TV, which was (mostly) behind the backdrop. rolleyes1.gif

I like the distinct black background of the second shot rather than the first.
    The angle of the second shot is more appealing, looking straight down the arrow... the blue around the end of the arrow to the right of the image,
    give the appearance of blue flames.

Nice Work eL eSs Vee thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2008
    Thank you all very much for your kind comments.

Pyry: It's a 68", 35# 28" draw Shakespeare Golden Eagle. I bought it used in the early '80s. The arrows are two years old and I've fired them a couple of times. It's a three-piece, and it's complete, but I didn't have it assembled for the first shot. In fact, the flights were resting on a pair of socks on the desk. :D

Ivar: See above. :D I had it stored in a soft case for many years. At the same time I bought the arrows, I bought a hard case. It's much better protected now. I would like to change the backdrop in the first, so I guess it's time to study up on blackpoint.

Skippy: Thank you very much. The "blue flame" was because of the TV in the background. rolleyes1.gif I shot them over the course of two nights. The second being, naturally, night number two. Same background, different location.

Thank you all again.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Thank you all very much for your kind comments.

Pyry: It's a 68", 35# 28" draw Shakespeare Golden Eagle. I bought it used in the early '80s. The arrows are two years old and I've fired them a couple of times. It's a three-piece, and it's complete, but I didn't have it assembled for the first shot. In fact, the flights were resting on a pair of socks on the desk. :D
    Pretty close to my arrow thrower, I have a Hoyt Gold medalist with maple-carbon limbs which give me 68" and 36# with my 29" draw. Except mine is boringly blue and therefore not nearly as photogenic :D
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Ivar: See above. :D I had it stored in a soft case for many years. At the same time I bought the arrows, I bought a hard case. It's much better protected now. I would like to change the backdrop in the first, so I guess it's time to study up on blackpoint.
    I honestly don't mind the fabric backround in the first. Probably because the black nothingness is everywhere these days thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited March 5, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Pretty close to my arrow thrower, I have a Hoyt Gold medalist with maple-carbon limbs which give me 68" and 36# with my 29" draw. Except mine is boringly blue and therefore not nearly as photogenic :D

Oh, give it a try! I'd like to see your take on the subject. mwink.gif
    pyry wrote:
    I honestly don't mind the fabric backround in the first. Probably because the black nothingness is everywhere these days thumb.gif

I hadn't thought of it that way! headscratch.gif Thanks for the news perspective.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• Options
    edited March 6, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Oh, give it a try! I'd like to see your take on the subject. mwink.gif
    You're challenging me now? lol3.gif

OK, I'll give it some thought. nod.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited March 7, 2008
    You're taking my challenge? Cool! I look forward to your images. clap.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• Options
    edited March 8, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    You're taking my challenge? Cool! I look forward to your images. clap.gif

I brought the bow home for the weekend, and I'm working on it.

I'm stuck thinking in low-key as well! rolleyes1.gifscratch
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited March 8, 2008
    Blue and black
    Here goes then :D
    Need to re-shoot a few with more depth of field, but I think I've something to show by now.

Bed sheets for backrounds and a single flash low-key thing first:

263418424_97Kpb-L.jpg

263419597_kxnDH-L.jpg

I also wanted to try an extreme silhoutte.

263420301_9QUL8-L.jpg

Add slight upward off-tiller to the adjustment to-do list lol3.gif
    It still works over shorter distances, shot a 57 (10,10,10,9,9,9) from the 18 meter line on Friday :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited March 9, 2008
    Great sihlouette! Accurate looking bow, too! Yes, needs more DOF. I look forward to the reshoot. . . as long as the arrows aren't aimed at me. :D
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• Options
    edited March 10, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Great sihlouette! Accurate looking bow, too! Yes, needs more DOF. I look forward to the reshoot. . . as long as the arrows aren't aimed at me. :D

Do you mind if I aim at the camera? lol3.gif
    Cause that's a good idea!

Thanks for the feedback!
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited March 11, 2008
    animaniacs0018.gif

Okay, that sounds good. I'll just stand over there. WAAAY over there. ~~~> rolleyes1.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    clap.gif love the silhouette.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:

I wish I'd had the backgroud further from the subject for this first one. ne_nau.gif
    Sharp023light.jpg

I forgot to turn off the TV, which was (mostly) behind the backdrop. rolleyes1.gif
    Sharp013copy.jpg
    I really like images that make me think "That's really cool. What the hell is it?". I had to wade down about four replies before having enough clues. Very cool -- both could hang on your wall. Another poster observed that black backgrounds are ubiquitous these days, but may I ask anyway how you achieved that?
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    KED wrote:
    I really like images that make me think "That's really cool. What the hell is it?". I had to wade down about four replies before having enough clues. Very cool -- both could hang on your wall. Another poster observed that black backgrounds are ubiquitous these days, but may I ask anyway how you achieved that?

Thank you very much, KED. :D Yes, I like low-key.
    You ask, I reply: I hung a black backdrop about a foot behind the subject, then set gobos to shadow it from the lights. I use a hand-held meter and set the backdrop about two stops lower than the subject.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Okay, that sounds good. I'll just stand over there. WAAAY over there. ~~~>

265762272_fC2rf-L.jpg

Look out world :D
    Goin' to shoot in my club's internal championship on saturday. My goal is 510 points over 60 arrows (8.5 average, 18 meter indoor target shoot). Wish me luck!
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    265762272_fC2rf-L.jpg

Look out world :D
    Goin' to shoot in my club's internal championship on saturday. My goal is 510 points over 60 arrows (8.5 average, 18 meter indoor target shoot). Wish me luck!
    Good luck! Neat shot -- god forbid you ever accidentally let fly -- your lens and probably your sensor would be toast (assuming you shoot straight of course mwink.gif ).
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    *stepping aside* Now THAT'S a bow! Nice shot and nice shooting! Who needs luck? You'll get lots of gold! Let me know how you do.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• Options
    edited March 15, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Good luck! Neat shot -- god forbid you ever accidentally let fly -- your lens and probably your sensor would be toast (assuming you shoot straight of course mwink.gif ).
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    *stepping aside* Now THAT'S a bow! Nice shot and nice shooting! Who needs luck? You'll get lots of gold! Let me know how you do.

Thanks guys!

Well, good news and bad news. I was feeling a bit wobbly in the morning and about the same during the competition. Only got as high as 486 points, which I'm not quite happy with. I really wanted to break 500.

Still, I won my class, I'm the 2007-2008 club champion of men's olympic recurve :D
    Talk about a sunday shooters' championship rolleyes1.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2008
    Way to go, Pyry! Congratulations! clap.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Way to go, Pyry! Congratulations! clap.gif

Thank you Lee :D
    Creativity's hard.