Options

Gel filters question

2»

Comments

• Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Yes, that's true. I was lucky enough a year ago to take a lighting class at the Santa Fe workshops and experience all kinds of very high end lights and modifiers in their studio. I do think there are some things you can be creative with - but - I also think that depending on your clients awareness and knowledge, if you can't make it appear pro and you are charging high end dollars for the results - you need to have the right stuff.

Yeah definitely. I didn't stinge-out on my reflectors, thought about carrying a set of car-windshield-covers but I'd look silly dragging that around. rolleyes1.gif

I suppose I could build my own umbrellas too, but it doesnt make sense to rip up a good umbrella and painting the insides white or whatever, so I took a few sets of those from the manufacturing world.

I also built my own ringlight (with a help of a buddy). Daylight balanced @ 5600k via 1 fluor bulb, didn't cost me a ton to build, looks slick too. I'll make a thread soon with all my DIY crapsters. I think you'd be surprised with what you can make and play off as if it was bought like that, or even impress a client because of your innovative ideas!

:D
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Gels for the bakcground are the perfect way to create and unlimited amount of backgrounds with the least effort...you can transform a blak background into nearly any color imaginable.......
    Art, you were 100% correct! thumb.gifbowdown.gifwings.gif
    I finally got some downtime to play. First it turned out that roscolux swatch pieces completele cover the surface of my Sunpacks 555 (with the exception of the round holder hole, which is not something that a tiny patch of a black gaffer tape cannot take care of:-). Yes, no fancy holders needed, just two patches of tape - et voila, you have your gels in place! And second, indeed it turned my jet back bg into whatever color I wanted.

Here are few rough samples (sorry, no models today mwink.gif):

1: Just main light, no gels yet:

275117493_Xfj5w-XL.jpg

2: Green filter on right bg light:

275117458_C4Hbp-XL.jpg

3: Dark Reddish filter on the hair light:

275117526_qNi5P-XL.jpg

4: Both bg lights together:

275117563_KhSky-XL.jpg

Man, now I have to figure out how to use this new land of opportunities...rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"