Snowboarding

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited March 6, 2008 in Sports
Spent last weekend skiing with my nephew and his girlfriend. Well, she and I skied and he rode. Anyway, I carried the D200 and 70-300 around in my backpack, and got a couple nice shots of him. Ahh . . . youth.

I think I tended to ski a bit more conservatively with the D200 on my back. Maybe I was secretly hoping to bust it so I'd have an excuse to get a D300. Does anybody have any tips for how to get good ski/snowboarding shots? Guess I shoulda thought about that back in December.

261478349_BjiA4-L.jpg

261478306_9S6CG-L.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Fantastic.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Thanks, Jonathan and Pindy!
    John :
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Exposure looks good on them, but the WB is off on the first. The snow looks a bit blue. You can use an expo disc when shooting on snow, but with gloves on and people waiting for you to set up, it's really tough. Your best tool when shooting on snow is RAW. If things are off a bit, you can fix it more easily in post.

The background on these is good and doesn't tend to fool your camera in auto modes into underexposing. If you shoot any program modes (A, P, S) with a lot more snow in the frame, you'll find the camera wants to underexpose every image, so push things .7 to 1 ev.

The images are good, but the athlete doesn't look all that impressive. With someone of this level, you need to do a bit more to make them look better. Your long lens makes that difficult. If you can get closer and shoot wider from a low angle, it will look like he's further off the ground.

Hope that helps.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    donek wrote:
    The images are good, but the athlete doesn't look all that impressive. With someone of this level, you need to do a bit more to make them look better. Your long lens makes that difficult. If you can get closer and shoot wider from a low angle, it will look like he's further off the ground.

Thanks for the tips. For most of my shots this day I was pretty much limited to the longer lens for my own safety! Had I been closer, I'd have been out of view of other riders and sooner or later would have caused a crash . . . more than likely with me on the bottom of the carnage pile.
    John :