A different type of shoot (8 pics)

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited March 9, 2008 in People
I have some friends that are young college aged ladies that I sort of mentor or support during their various trials and boyfriends and things. Anyway, they asked me to do portraits of them pretending to be dead.... but beautiful. I laughed and laughed when they asked me, but agreed. Apparently on America's Top Model they did a series on the seven deadly sins where the models dressed up as though they were one of the seven deadly sins and posed in a coffin. http://www.fan-sites.org/top-model/gallery/hqsins.htm My friends thought that this was pretty neat and wanted to emulate a bit (though not focus on the "sins".)

They brought out their old prom dresses and put lots of dark makeup around their eyes and white makeup everywhere else, and we imagined tragic ways to die that you could look beautiful afterward. They were not so good at looking dead, but really good at looking beautiful.

It was fun to do the post processing because this is the first shoot that I have ever wanted the skin tones to look off. That was pretty cool to be able to do that so easily after shooting raw.

This is what we came up with.

Oh... I might add that this was my first time using my lighting set up in the studio setting. I am fairly happy with it but would love any pointers you guys can give me on the light. I really do credit dgrin for the bit of success I did have because I felt confident in what to do, even though it was new for me.

And the other thing is that 2 of the 3 girls are "larger framed girls" so we had to be quite creative with poses, and in the first photo I actually shrunk her feet to make it look right.
261801520_HPopv-XL-1.jpg

2. This one has a severe shadow under the chin, but somehow I think it works for this idea.
261819389_U5kUA-XL-1.jpg
261842388_ToXGG-L-1.jpg
4. (like I said... good at looking beautiful... not so good at looking "dead")
261814272_hYWsU-XL-1.jpg
261826739_k8Sf4-L-1.jpg
6. I wish I had turned the suitcase so you could see the handle... but oh well.
261833501_aGLWt-L-1.jpg
261838925_E9ADY-M-1.jpg
261806938_wvqTZ-L-1.jpg
As always- C & C are wished for.

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    lol refreshing change from babies!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    You have some pretty dead people there! :D haha ...

Well done on the feet on #1 (I would have never guessed .... even after reading your coment)

Interesting light & good post processing. Only #8 doesn't really do it for me, and I think the feet in #1 should have a different position if you want the person to look dead, but other than that .... really enjoyed your photo work! clap.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Nice! I especially liked #1, and #6.

GOOD JOB!!

Sam
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Nothing moves me here. except for number 6, nice try, but women laying down... just doesnt do it for me... its not that interesting.

P.S. I know what youre trying to do here, but it just doesnt come across. not at all. sorry.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Well, it's easy to nit-pick, but I'd be very surprised if these girls aren't thrilled with your images. Looks like you had a good time.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    I remember that episode!

I really like 1, 5, and 6. One really surprised me.
    I can't provide much critique. May want to ask Tyra. Lol
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Tell that gurl in number 1 that she has cute toes. Kewl photos. Wish I woulda thought of that. :)
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    if you want the person to look dead, but other than that .... really enjoyed your photo work!
    Too true.... I had to laugh because I think the same thing. Of course while you are in the middle of a shoot it is hard to notice everything. Ahh well. Next time, maybe. I appreciate your comment!
    Tell that gurl in number 1 that she has cute toes. Kewl photos. Wish I woulda thought of that. :)

HA HA! They are kind of cute! I didn't think of it either, so we are even! Thanks for the comment! It means a lot Carnalsigh
    Well, it's easy to nit-pick, but I'd be very surprised if these girls aren't thrilled with your images. Looks like you had a good time.
    We did have a good time! And they are thrilled! But I would love to hear any nits if you have time to share them. Thanks, Icebear, for your encouragement!
    othing moves me here. except for number 6, nice try, but women laying down... just doesnt do it for me... its not that interesting.

P.S. I know what youre trying to do here, but it just doesnt come across. not at all. sorry.

It is kind of silly, I have to admit! Sorry that I didn't move you, but to be honest.... I wasn't even trying! It was more about THEM being happy with who THEY ARE instead... and I think as a result of this shoot, they feel beautiful and desirable and all the things that young women should feel. But I wouldn't have minded if you happened to feel the same way about the photos as they do. Sorry I missed it for you, Mike02.
    Nice! I especially liked #1, and #6.

GOOD JOB!!

Sam

Yep- I like those ones the best too. Thanks for the encouragement!
    lol refreshing change from babies!

Hey! I like babies! Laughing.gif! I am glad it made you laugh. It made me laugh too.... a lot! Let me tell you that it is very hard to pretend to be dead when the photographer is laughing her head off at you. Thanks for your comment, Qarik!
    I remember that episode!

I really like 1, 5, and 6. One really surprised me.
    I can't provide much critique. May want to ask Tyra. Lol
    I must confess.... I have never watched the show, but if Tyra wants to comment... I would love to hear it! Laughing.gif! One is my absolute favorite as well.

Thank YOU for YOUR comment in leu of Tyra, evoryware!
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    These are fun and so creative! I like #1 and #6 the best, although #6 doesn't come across with the theme very well (she doesn't look dead!) it's just a great shot and I love the dress. I wish I could see a little more of her face in #1, but I like the lighting and the processing. Looks like you had fun and I'm sure the girls are really pleased.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    For 'dead' people, you might want to retouch out the catchlight in the eyes where it shows. That little 'spark' makes them seem alive-- but without it I think their eyes would look more dead and lifeless.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Deanna AlkoDeanna Alko Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Gosh, Heather what a great idea... makes me laugh because it's certainly something my friends and I would (then and now) go for. Growing up we would get the biggest kick out of playing dead (of course, this entailed that the deceased maintain complete dead composure in the face of all sorts of goings on) so I sympathize with the dead. :D

I like number one and think your fancy foot work is great, but I think I'd like the top foot to be slightly longer.

Two and five feel the most dead to me and the processing is terrific! (perhaps five would benefit from dogwood's suggestion of removing the catch-light to make it more chilling)

3,4 & 6 like you said great a looking beautiful, not so much dead. But lovely, truly.

Thanks so much for sharing these.

Take care,
    - Deanna
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    very interesting! also very tasteful! I really like #5. I do agree the shadow under her chin in #2 is working for the shot; looks like an old crime-scene type photograph.. the harsh shadow. Very cool!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    I didn't see that Top Model episode, but there was one from another season where they did photograph the models as having been horribly murdered. Some amazing images from that, so I like the idea. But I tend to like dark, gritty, and gruesome stuff. :giggle

#1 is flat-out stunning. The pose and lighting is spot on. My fave of the bunch. thumb.gif

I also really like #3 and #5. The colors and composition on both of these grab me and keep me. Very nice. Thank you for sharing!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Here is one that I comped with some water....

Oh and thanks to all of you who commented! Some of my favorite people on the forum spoke up and I love it!

Thanks!

263137043_tmn2k-L.jpg

What do you think of the water? Is it too cheezy!?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Oh not cheesy at all! I think this is cool!!! thumb.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited March 9, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Oh not cheesy at all! I think this is cool!!! thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif Very cool shot.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    I like it. :D I know you were shooting "death," but the water version looks very serene to me instead. This could make a great ad for a spa! thumb.gif
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2008
    Wow!! Great series. I really like the water effect!!