Who'd'a thunk it... (waiting at the Genius Bar)

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited March 26, 2005 in People
Who'd'a thunk it 30 years ago when I was unsuccessfully fighting off being a computer geek in college. Now the computers are not only part of everyone's life (like refrigerators), they are so cool (unlike refrigerators.)

18207186-L.jpg

Today I thought I needed a trip to the horrible Genius Bar (where you can't actually have a drink with a genius) at the horrible Apple Store. It's actually a lot less horrible than waiting on hold for hours with Dell and then talking to India to no good end, but much more horrible than just getting my problem fixed right away without a lot of temptation to spend money...

18207083-L.jpg

... in order to pass the time while waiting my turn and then waiting for them to figure out my problem (or not in this particular case.)

18207630-L.jpg

Here is one of the geniuses:

18209542-L.jpg

Ipod Minis can be especially intellectually challenging.

18209510-L.jpg

In short there was lots of time to look watch people and since I was thinking when I set off on this errand, I had my camera and could do a little more than watch.
I like to make up stories about the people I'm watching. Daughter accepted into a good college and wants Mom to buy her a computer for graduation present?

18207634-L.jpg

Or maybe want's to show Mom how great it would be if Mom uses some program or another instead of hassling Daugher all the time? Naw, probably the former.
You don't have to make up any stories about what's going on with the children.

18207094-L.jpg

Apple has figured out that (1) The longer they are happy in the store, the longer Mom or Dad will be able to hang out there and shop or wait their turn for the genius, (2) they are likely to drive some important purchase desisions,

18207124-L.jpg

(3) pretty soon they are going to be teenagers and will not only drive purchase decisions, but also define cool,

18207174-L.jpg

(4) they haven't yet figured out that all the cool games are on Windows, and

18207178-L.jpg

(5) maybe that will even change by the time they are teenagers.

18207182-L.jpg

Apple and its shareholders hopes Steve Jobs lasts that long.

18207628-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 25, 2005
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.giflol3
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2005
    Cool story.

You known I've been in an Apple store twice.

The first time was 3 years ago in Northridge (when I bought the family iMac), and then last month at the Grove in LA.

Now, it could be that the Grove store is just more crowded, since it's in one of those pedestrian shopping malls that is a destination in and of itself...

...but that store was SO much more crowded than the Northridge store. I think it has less to do with the stores and more to do with the 3 intervening years and the growth in popularity that Apple is experiencing. That store was hoppin'. Apple is definitely riding the wave at this point.

I really like the shots of the young kids. So dang cute.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2005
    Man, great stuff. thumb.gif I was going to do just the same a week or so ago, almost exactly like you sittin at the genius bar, but something the genius said got my goat ......umph.gif....ah well you saved me the trouble and did great thumb.gif
    Thanks
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2005
    The real secrect of the genius bar
    Apple can afford real customer service like this because it draws people into their stores and they spend money while they wait there, probably in proportion to the amount of time they wait around. You gotta pay for it one way or another. The phone service sucks unless the problem is very simple because they don't get anything from you over the phone. Dell has a different strategy. They want you to go away and not cost them anything, so they transfer you to India in hopes that you will get so frustrated that you'll give up. Steve is the real genius in this particular case, though Michael Dell is pretty darn rich.

I was so close to this insight when I posted the story, but didn't quite get it. It's so obvious once you see it.
    If not now, when?
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Who'd'a thunk it 30 years ago when I was unsuccessfully fighting off being a computer geek in college. Now the computers are not only part of everyone's life (like refrigerators), they are so cool (unlike refrigerators.)

Today I thought I needed a trip to the horrible Genius Bar (where you can't actually have a drink with a genius) at the horrible Apple Store. It's actually a lot less horrible than waiting on hold for hours with Dell and then talking to India to no good end, but much more horrible than just getting my problem fixed right away without a lot of temptation to spend money...

... in order to pass the time while waiting my turn and then waiting for them to figure out my problem (or not in this particular case.)

Here is one of the geniuses:

Ipod Minis can be especially intellectually challenging.

In short there was lots of time to look watch people and since I was thinking when I set off on this errand, I had my camera and could do a little more than watch.
    I like to make up stories about the people I'm watching. Daughter accepted into a good college and wants Mom to buy her a computer for graduation present?

Or maybe want's to show Mom how great it would be if Mom uses some program or another instead of hassling Daugher all the time? Naw, probably the former.
    You don't have to make up any stories about what's going on with the children.

Apple has figured out that (1) The longer they are happy in the store, the longer Mom or Dad will be able to hang out there and shop or wait their turn for the genius, (2) they are likely to drive some important purchase desisions,

(3) pretty soon they are going to be teenagers and will not only drive purchase decisions, but also define cool,

(4) they haven't yet figured out that all the cool games are on Windows, and

(5) maybe that will even change by the time they are teenagers.

Apple and its shareholders hopes Steve Jobs lasts that long.
    Nice series rutt. beautiful children as usual.. it seems to me tho that I wanted to up the contrast just a smidgin on those last four children.. what say you.. they seem a little... um... "gray" on my screen..
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Nice series rutt. beautiful children as usual.. it seems to me tho that I wanted to up the contrast just a smidgin on those last four children.. what say you.. they seem a little... um... "gray" on my screen..
    The numbers are good. Maybe a little more detail could be found somewhere, though. But the grey look usually comes from to much cyan (or worse black) relative to yellow and magenta. Maybe you should check you monitor settings?
    If not now, when?