Options

Help, I need to organize!

joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited March 5, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
In the time I have been taking digital photos, over 3 years, I have collected ovet 10,000 photos. I have Abdobe Elements 5 and use it all the time, but I am getting to the point of not being able to find certain photos hiden in the cluster.
Can any one share with me some tips on how to organize my photos?
Also What is the best way to save them? by this I mean, do I make DVDs? Buy more hard drives?
DVDs are suppose to last only about 6 years and more drives are expensive. At this point I have an external USB 80 GB drive that I use as a backup for the photos in the main computer drive. I am considering adding either a 250 GB or 500GB to both my PC and to the external drive.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
:dunno
Joe

www.jlm-photos.com

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Do a search for Digital Assett Management or DAM in the new Google Custom Search in the Nav Bar.

Or check out the DAM Book. It's full of good stuff.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Like Nick said, look into DAM apps. There's another thread going on right now here & several in the archives.

For storage, I strongly suggest using hard drives, with backups over DVDs. Even that 6 year lifespan IMHO is a pipe dream. This has also been discussed in depth here before.

Finally for organizing...yep you guessed it, it's been discussed at length and a search ought to turn up the long threads. deal.gif