I just got my 30D

TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
edited March 7, 2008 in Cameras
:lust :lust :lust

When I was originally looking at getting into this hobby, everything I read pointed to saving money on the body and buying good glass. So I went with a Rebel XT. Though I love the XT, I just got my 30D on here for $500, and decided that I couldn't let that deal pass. Took the plunge and MAN am I glad that I did. First immediate observation beyond build quality and all that, is how much faster the Auto-Focus is on the 30D than the XT. I've mentioned in previous threads that my house is pretty dark, and even with lenses wide open, the XT has to search some times to get that auto-focus right. Same shooting situation (I just unpacked the camera, threw in the card and battery and through on the 50 1.4 and took it to the living room), the shots are just coming so much quicker. Nothing scientific, but a very noticable difference between the two. :clap:clap:clap
My Kit
Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 5, 2008
    Responsiveness and accuracy. thumb.gif

Congratulations.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    I think it's time to update your signature. mwink.gif

the 30D is a blast!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    nice choice, I did the same upgrade when the 30D came out... I loved my XT but i dont miss it..lol
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Hey fabulous.
    My personal view is that the 30/40D series represents the most value/bang for the buck for an enthusiast. The Rebel series are good but I too find it limiting at times. For a casual snapshooter probably not, for a enthusiats, maybe so.

Anyway, enjoy.
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    I agree 30D is the way to go...
    The 40D may have some added features but, cost-wise; the 30D is a great value and IMO it beats the heck out of the Rebel Series hands down.

You may not see significant differences in image quality but the 30D (and more expensive 40D) is much more enjoyable to use from many aspects.
  • nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Love my 30D
    zacker wrote:
    ... I loved my XT but i dont miss it..lol

I hear you!!! I love my 30D iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

I just recently upgraded from my XT when the 40D came out, so I got a killer deal on my 30D ($999.00-new canada) and I just love this camera. You can really tell the difference from the Reb XT.
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    TaDa wrote:
    iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

When I was originally looking at getting into this hobby, everything I read pointed to saving money on the body and buying good glass. So I went with a Rebel XT. Though I love the XT, I just got my 30D on here for $500, and decided that I couldn't let that deal pass. Took the plunge and MAN am I glad that I did. First immediate observation beyond build quality and all that, is how much faster the Auto-Focus is on the 30D than the XT. I've mentioned in previous threads that my house is pretty dark, and even with lenses wide open, the XT has to search some times to get that auto-focus right. Same shooting situation (I just unpacked the camera, threw in the card and battery and through on the 50 1.4 and took it to the living room), the shots are just coming so much quicker. Nothing scientific, but a very noticable difference between the two. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Congratulations on your new toy ... errr .. tool! I also love mine.

As for the advice camara vs. lenses - What I've usually read is to put the lion's share of your budget into glass and money on the camera body by getting something that solves problems/challenges you face at the time. Then, as you grow in your craft and it becomes apparent that your current body is not doing the trick - that's the time to upgrade the body.