Options

Photos for publishing

seekerseeker Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited March 7, 2008 in Technique
There is the very real possibility that I will be shooting some pictures in the near term in support of a book that a friend of a friend is writing (her second book, actually). I just took photos at her first book launch this past weekend, and she loved the pictures enough that she is considering using me for the next book ... woohoo!

With that said, does anyone have experience with this type of thing? I have only ever shot pictures for prints, or for albums. Is there anything different from a shooting/settings standpoint (or post-processing) I need to get up to speed on? Is there a special format the printer will want the photos in?

I'm a total newbie in this area :)

- Brian

Comments

• Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    It used to be that you had to provide the artwork in a certain file format, sometimes converted to CMYK (printer format). But as technology has advanced, a lot of printers will even take RGB JPG files and do rather well with them. You may want to find out who the printer/designer is and visit with them to see if they have any preferences or requirements. They will tell you what resolution and format they want the file in. But nearly all designers/printers do a final conversion to CMYK just prior to going to print so you won't have to worry about it...but talk to your designer/printer. Good luck and congratulations!