Guido5Guido5 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited March 6, 2008 in Sports
One of my first swim shots...just experimenting

Comments

• Guido5Guido5 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    First time post...
    another swim photo...
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2008
    Welcome! Great shots! I've never shot a swim event, but the ones I have attended have had some interesting lighting at the YMCA. You seem to have handled it well.

If possible, can we peek at the EXIF for these shots? It looks like the first shot your shutter speed was just a hair too low and you picked up some extra blur you may not have been going for. It also appears a little under exposed.

The second shot looks spot on. The refractions and reflections off the goggles are amazing, excellent capture clap.gif.

Overall a great shoot, and welcome to dGrin!
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Guido5Guido5 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback...I'll what I can do about posting the info requested. This ALL new for me, shooting, posting, EXIF, figuring out how/what to post. This weekend I will be shooting my other daughters gymanastic meet. Hopefully, I will get some great shots. Just bought and will be trying my 50 1.8 Nikon. Normally indoors I shoot with 80-200 2.8 Nikon. Lighting always gives me trouble at these gymanstics meets. Thanks again and I'm glad I FINALLY signed up with dgrin.
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2008
    If you're a firefox user here's some help:
    http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/fxif/

and if you're not here's a little program to give you exif data:
    http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/exif_v.html
    ^(go halfway down page to 'EXIF viewer')

Both are free tools that I use regularly when I just want to peek at the exif of a shot. I just found the firefox add-on, and pulled the following from your two pics:

1:
    Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
    Camera Model: NIKON D80
    Image Date: 2007:06:23 11:32:03
    Flash Used: No
    Focal Length: 200.0mm (35mm equivalent: 300mm)
    Exposure Time: 0.0008 s (1/1250)
    Aperture: f/5.6
    ISO equiv: 400
    White Balance: Auto
    Metering Mode: Matrix
    Exposure: Manual
    Exposure Mode: Manual

2:
    Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
    Camera Model: NIKON D80
    Image Date: 2007:06:20 18:36:02
    Flash Used: No
    Focal Length: 200.0mm (35mm equivalent: 300mm)
    Exposure Time: 0.0008 s (1/1250)
    Aperture: f/5.6
    ISO equiv: 250
    White Balance: Auto
    Metering Mode: Matrix
    Exposure: Manual
    Exposure Mode: Manual

hehe, pics almost 9 months old :D; and 3 days apart. Tricky, tricky. Hope these tools can help you out, and I look forward to a field report from that 50mm f/1.8, it's the same lens I use at basketball games.

Happy shooting! thumb.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler